What has happened to this honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Bumbler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi does anyone know what has happened? This is honey from last year and has been kept in a cool bedroom. Have just taken it out and there is a cm plus of clear honey in the bottom. Two layers covered in honey. It looks like the honeys split in the jars virtually white in colour. Tastes fine if a little fluffy looking!!

Attachments

• 1832D948-1DAD-4B9F-8109-9983DE5005A6.jpeg
    1832D948-1DAD-4B9F-8109-9983DE5005A6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • F5313701-B87C-4DBC-987F-8DCD02258722.jpeg
    F5313701-B87C-4DBC-987F-8DCD02258722.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 5A5E0AF3-34A8-472F-967E-CEFA0E554585.jpeg
    5A5E0AF3-34A8-472F-967E-CEFA0E554585.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
Could it be a mix of blossom honey and OSR that has granulated?

It's just granulated, either warm it back to runny or eat it as is. Handy if you have honey in your tea or coffee.

Thank you for your replies. I should have said the runny honey was in the bottom of the box! The honey in the jars looks like it’s been whipped/expanded and is now touching the lids. A friend said it may have had unripened honey in frames and I’m now left with bakers honey🤔 The runny honey in the box doesn’t taste fermented nor does the remainder in the jars. There are 20+ jars like it - not good news for honey sales!

Some of my soft set did that. If it's expanded then it has fermented I fear, no matter what it tastes like

That isn’t just granulating, it has surely started fermenting. It is has expanded and fluffed because of the yeast beginning to work. Honey that granulates just sets solid as it is. Definitely fermenting, possibly due to too high water. I used mine for mead!

Pretty much looks like it has fermented, but don't bin it.
It will have many uses mead making, cooking, flavouring hot drinks instead of sugar or as my wife does she feeds it to her horse who suffers from hayfever/pollen irritation.

Thanks everyone I think some fermentation has definitely taken place. Very strange because it’s only those jars all the others were ok -as were my bee buddy’s 😬. Never mind it tastes fine so will wade through it eventually!!🐝🐝

Thanks everyone I think some fermentation has definitely taken place. Very strange because it’s only those jars all the others were ok -as were my bee buddy’s 😬. Never mind it tastes fine so will wade through it eventually!!🐝🐝
It will keep fermenting and get nasty so put it in the freezer and take out as needed

It's your honey. Why do you think fermentation has taken place? Did you taste it or smell it? Because, as others have already said, just looking at the images, it looks like granulation to me (although, I've never had granulated honey split with a gap in the middle of a jar).

It's your honey. Why do you think fermentation has taken place? Did you taste it or smell it? Because, as others have already said, just looking at the images, it looks like granulation to me (although, I've never had granulated honey split with a gap in the middle of a jar).

The honey in the jars looks like it’s been whipped/expanded and is now touching the lids.

Whenever honey has fermented on me, it expands too, either almost turning the bucket into a ball or blowing seals. It looks to me like it might have fermented.

Honey granulates pushing the water out leading to fermentation as the displaced water makes the top layer water content too high.

Latest posts

Back