What has happened to my honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Apologies if this is REALLY obvious - I'm guessing just crystalisation in one jar, but the crusty top, I have no idea!

This was extracted last year, and has been sitting on a shelf ever since - could you let me know what has happened to each jar, and what, if anything, I can do about it?

I don't produce a lot of honey (all my own fault!), and only give it to family, so not TOO concerned... it still tastes fine... but thought I had best have an explaination!

20120331_095953.jpg

20120331_095916.jpg

Thanks!

crystallisation and bubbles in the honey before jarring rising to the top once jarred

An awful lot of bubbles, unless just the one jar (which got all the scum). I would suggest the honey water content was only just low enough and a little fermentation has taken place. Were the lids completely tight? Were any pressurised? Serious fermentation will bulge the lids. Looks like jam jars? Did they have new lids? Was the honey well filtered, or is this crush and strain?

I always allow the buckets of honey to crystallise - the surface should be dry at that point. They are then melted, filtered and settled before filling into jars.

RAB

You have a point about the bubbles RAB, missed the big ones in the rush light ;)- unless it's heather-type. Scrap it

Looks like jam jars?

Look more like honey jars - little honeycomb pattern top and bottom of jar :)

Look like old Rowse jars .

Air bubbles on top explains the scum and a mix of honeys with differing crystalisation in the jar .

When you jar next time , if you have a honey bucket with a tap at the bottom , let the honey sit overnight and all the bubbles will rise to the top . You can then jar off clear honey to give away /sell and you end up with the slightly scummy ones for yourself .

G

lottyhassel

Q was all the frames fully sealed

Looka like a mix of ripe & unripe honey

Latest posts

Back