What has happened here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiny cluster of dead bees with mould on, it’s a really bad picture but those capped cells around the outside look larger domed. Maybe a drone layer but it’s hard to see from the photos. Ian

I have been asked by a fellow beekeeper what's happened to his bees

They're all face-in towards the cells - classic starvation.
In the cold weather, they have to be in contact with food all the time. As you'll notice, there is an empty area surrounding the cluster. It's sad to see bees like this. If only they'd known food was a few cells away. I see no honey stores at all.
It's possible there may be a small patch of brood in the centre - which would explain why they starved. They wouldn't want to desert the developing brood.
Did you find the queen among the throng? She may have already died prior to the cluster. That would mean this was the last of their brood the last chance at survival.

Last edited:
Starvation finished them off but why was the nest so small? The answer may lie in the visible brood cells: chewed and damaged larvae suggest varroosis late last year.

Was an autumn varroa treatment given?

The photo is upside down Eric. That's a pollen/bee-bread arc
I suspect the queen died and they clustered on the last of the brood. Unable to move, they died of starvation.

EDIT: Actually - I think I see the queen (dark thorax, long wings) at about 10 o'clock in the photo. Could this have been a late supersedure(unmarked queen)? If so, she may not have had time to mate before winter. That would explain the small cluster as no new brood would be laid.

Of the ten brood cells on the lower nest perimeter, eight have been nibbled or opened to some extent, perhaps as bees attempted removal of damaged larvae.

Is that a vertical brownish elongated thorax at midday, about a quarter of the way down the pic. and heading south?

Reactions: mbc
Bees are not stupid - the old queen would be present until the new queen was laying well (sometimes remaining all the winter). More likely varroa put paid to the colony before winter, leaving only a few bees to cluster and die.

Dont usually get involved in threads on these kind of topics but....

I see nothing there in that mouldy mess that I would definitively say is a queen.

What I DO see that is never a good sign is the attempt at starting a queen cell on the pollen arc at 6 o'clock. This is almost invariably a sign of queenlessness and they will try anything. Opens up the possibility that the few cells of brood that are failing to hatch normally may be the output of one or more laying workers.

Hard to be definite about anything such a moulded remnant...but one thing is certain...this colony was too small anyway to stand much chance in winter....so what actually finished it off is somewhat moot. It is dead, its fate sealed long ago. Clean the hive up and move on. Spring is near and you can get it refilled.

Latest posts

Back