What glue is best to repair a polyhive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll second PU adhesive or sealant; the latter can be bought very cheaply from Toolstation. The repair pieces need holding together for several hours using tape or clamps. But when cured it's permanent and has the right level of flexibility and is fully waterproof.
Both of these are Polyurethane glues and will do the job:

https://www.toolstation.com/5-minute-polyurethane-wood-glue-gel/p78519
https://www.toolstation.com/gorilla-glue/p94548
Avoid PVA glues ... even waterproof ones don't seem to hold polystyrene together. The PU glues are cured with moisture so you can give the surfaces a mist with water before applying the glue which speeds up the curing and seems to help the bond ...the sections will need clamping together because the glue expands as it cures. I glued a super that broke when I dropped it with a non-branded PU glue - can't remember where it came from - worked a treat ! Still in use ... bear in mind though - you don't want to be spending £20 on glue if a replacement super is only about that ! ... Look for a size of pack and price that makes it economic - PU Glues don't keep well once opened.

I'll second PU adhesive or sealant; the latter can be bought very cheaply from Toolstation. The repair pieces need holding together for several hours using tape or clamps. But when cured it's permanent and has the right level of flexibility and is fully waterproof.

....for clarification; the product that I was suggesting. A big tube at a low price and with lots of other uses. If the nozzle is plugged after use it will keep for a few months. The down-side is that it does require that in most cases, the repair is mechanically held in position for several hours. But after that there is no fear that it will ever break apart.

https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex-40-high-modulus-pu-sealant-adhesive-300ml/p85566

....for clarification; the product that I was suggesting. ......But after that there is no fear that it ever break apart

You may add screws if you afraid that glue is not enough.

Repairing polyhives is not impossible. But if I look that is not good idea, I Make mating nucs from broken boxes.

I use masking tape to hold things together when not much force is needed. Also to cover one side of a hole so you can fill from the other side.

Remove when nearly /fully dry and gently sand off the remaining paper bits..

Use solvent based paints on the outside - Hammerite Garage Door Paint is very strong but expensive. Binds with poly surface to make a strong coating. Lasts for years.

- PU Glues don't keep well once opened.
Provided you can fit them in there with all your sterilising frames and whatever food you may want to keep for future use, if you put PU glue in the freezer it doesn't go off as there's no water available in the air to activate it. Obviously you'll have to defrost it first before you can use it again but I managed to get several goes out of a bottle of Gorilla using that method this year as opposed to one go from my first bottle. The same goes for cyanoacrylate super glues as well.

Provided you can fit them in there with all your sterilising frames and whatever food you may want to keep for future use, if you put PU glue in the freezer it doesn't go off as there's no water available in the air to activate it. Obviously you'll have to defrost it first before you can use it again but I managed to get several goes out of a bottle of Gorilla using that method this year as opposed to one go from my first bottle. The same goes for cyanoacrylate super glues as well.
That's a good idea ... it is frustrating that PU glues go off so quickly - I will try that. I have less problems with Isocynate glues as I tend to buy the small bottles and keep the lid on - I use them fast enough not to lose too much from their desire to go hard.

Gorilla Glue I have been using to repair polly hives has bar code

5 704947 000133

100% Waterproof

If that is of any help

Gorilla Glue I have been using to repair polly hives has bar code

5 704947 000133

100% Waterproof

If that is of any help
I use gripfill for most issues, breakages,woodpecker holes etc.
Anything bigger I use car bodyfiller.

That's a good idea ... it is frustrating that PU glues go off so quickly - I will try that. I have less problems with Isocynate glues as I tend to buy the small bottles and keep the lid on - I use them fast enough not to lose too much from their desire to go hard.
I use SOUDAL P45, (a moisture curing PU) a 750gm bottle lasts me about 6 months and is still useable to the end providing you screw the top back after use. I find it's faster curing than the Gorilla Glue equivalent but doesn't set quite so hard and hence a bit more flexible. (Oh and it's cheaper too) :D

Latest posts

Back