What glue is best to repair a polyhive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I had a stack of Abelos polyhive supers outside the shed and my granddaughters pony decided to investigate it. One of the supers ended up on the floor in four pieces having shattered at the corners whilst the wet frames within were eagerly investigated and nibbled.
The polystyrene has broken edges but they fit together neatly like a jigsaw. I'm pretty sure an appropriate glue will sort out the problem but I'm wondering what kind of glue I should use especially for strength, longevity and water resistance. Has anyone successfully carried out such a repair?

Last edited:
While I do use PU glue, it can be messy but 5 minute PU glue is great for fast repairs .

If you want to do a slower job External PVA glue is good. (If you use internal PVA, it will dissolve in water and break)
External Glue mixed with sawdust makes a good filler but is very slow drying. I fill cracks with Wickes Wood Glue in a plastic tube applied by hand.. Easily sanded, quick drying and water proof.

If you look on a model making site, “hobby king” is one you will find a lot of polystyrene safe glues since a lot model planes are made of the stuff and owing to the nature of the sport are often in need. Having said that as a habitual smasher of these things before I saw sense, use epoxy glue, spread on both surfaces, the ten minute one gives you enough time to get everything lined up and hold it together, whilst curing, with masking Tape.

Last edited:
Gorilla glue works OK... water actuated it has a tendency to expand, therefore fix everything in place with clamps
Excess can be trimmed with a craft knife

When you use some kind of glue , look that it glues plastic. Quite few glues do that.

And compare prices

Gorilla glue (not wood glue) and then screw with 5x80mm self cutting thread (no need for pilot holes) before it dries.
I just trim when it has set and fill with pollyfilla wood flex then paint.

Gorilla glue (not wood glue) and then screw with 5x80mm self cutting thread (no need for pilot holes) before it dries.
I just trim when it has set and fill with pollyfilla wood flex then paint.
There are several Gorilla glues

clear glue

wood glue

super glue

grab adhesive crystal clear

original glue

contact adhesive

epoxy clear

clear glue

wood glue

super glue

original glue

contact adhesive

epoxy clear
I noticed that list during a bit of searching for suitable glues. 🤔 I've got plenty of waterproof PVA but as the dense poly isn't going to absorb anything whatever I use is going to rely on surface adhesion and no doubt be very slow to cure. I'm coming round to the idea of a two part epoxy and screws to hold things together and in alignment during setting. I looked at some more exotic solutions but they approached the cost of a replacement super. Thanks for the suggestions.

clear glue

wood glue

super glue

original glue

contact adhesive

epoxy clear

Plus PU... = poly urethane

I have made sometimes a mixture from wood glue and PU glue. Wood glue's water hardens the PU. The end result is very hard.

Plus PU... = poly urethane

I have made sometimes a mixture from wood glue and PU glue. Wood glue's water hardens the PU. The end result is very hard.

I'll second PU adhesive or sealant; the latter can be bought very cheaply from Toolstation. The repair pieces need holding together for several hours using tape or clamps. But when cured it's permanent and has the right level of flexibility and is fully waterproof.

I'll second PU adhesive or sealant; the latter can be bought very cheaply from Toolstation. The repair pieces need holding together for several hours using tape or clamps. But when cured it's permanent and has the right level of flexibility and is fully waterproof.

Several hours makes no sense, because usual PU hardens in 15 Minutes and you can continue the work. You give a little bit water in it.

To repair poly box is very easy job. But it takes time if one box has 20 woodpecker's holes.

I fill holes with piece of poly box.
It become Waterproof when I paint the place.

In some cases it is better to cut off the broken part and glue a good piece on site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back