what feeder type for next year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Hi all just wondered if there was any feeder types to avoid! there are so many designs, just continuing to build up equipment for next year and not sur which way to go with feeders.....

thanks again everyone:cheers2:

I use the jumbo rapid feeder. Holds 6 litres.

Can be easily cleaned.

I have commercial plastic feeders. They are 8 litres.
They have bee now 20 years. Before that I had self made mere-pain-feeders.

Those feeders are good, because they are hive width. They get heat from hives and keep syrup warm over frost night. No leaks.

1249921023_img-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.jpg

Last edited:
6 litres........pfffffffffffffffffffffff..............mine hold 16 litres :)

Yours Roy

For 2 hives 6 litre ones mean topping up every 2-3 days.
16 litre feeder for one hive - about once a week?

I am also plagued with ants which get into the feeder and drown, so I like to change over every week at least.

Any feeder with a Full/empty indicator

are there any feeders that have an external indicator that they are empty...a float or water tube (ie as on a steam boiler)?

often find that some hive feeder are empty while other still have syrup..i'd love a little flag telling me to re fill

Or any that have external filling point, though about a three litre coke bottle outside with a tube into the feeder

Last edited:
It is fairly simple, this feeder capacity debate. One or two hives in the garden - does it really matter if they need filling very regularly; a dozen or more hives, and at out apiaries and it is a pain if you need to travel often just to top up - so large volume.

Ymmv, but unless the OP gives more information, the answer is: they should all work but some are inconvenient.

Regards, RAB

I was under the impression Miller style feeders get a lot of dead bees in as they drown? What about those converters that go on honey jars which contain the syrup which makes them into a contact feeder?

I agree, volume of Miller style is great, but what about bee drowning?

Nick

Any feeder with vertical surfaces has the poential to drown. Coat surfaces with fine sand embedded within water proof pva and bees will have more than sufficient purchase to avoid drowning. For info mine are Miller style, sealed with water proof pva, sanded verticals, removeable slush boards, holds 2 x 8 ltrs per feeder, perspex central cover so you can monitor bee activity, cost £15 to make two, details in another thread.

I have commercial plastic feeders. They are 8 litres.

They both have of course the cover.

This is ELO -feeding box and the price is 14 euros.

1249921023_img-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.jpg

This is Honey Paradise feedings box and orice 14 euros. It is same stuff as polyhive.

At least this is sold in Britain

syottolaatikko_1.jpg

Last edited:
................or use fondant above a QX with a super or 3" eke to provide the spacer......particularly if you've got loads of hives :cheers2:

Cant find the thread with the ELO stuff?

Can someone give me a clue please!

Thanks

Nick

Elo has been sold in Finland 20 years. I do not know it it is offered in other countries. But at least I can se same kind feeders.

For 2 hives 6 litre ones mean topping up every 2-3 days.
16 litre feeder for one hive - about once a week?

I am also plagued with ants which get into the feeder and drown, so I like to change over every week at least.

as a sideline, I used to get plagued with red ants which made the bees extremely grumpy, but now I used a small line of burglar proof paint around the legs and am now ant free! :hat:

I was under the impression Miller style feeders get a lot of dead bees in as they drown? What about those converters that go on honey jars which contain the syrup which makes them into a contact feeder?

I agree, volume of Miller style is great, but what about bee drowning?

Nick

I made a miller and put floats in the bee chambers... drowning is extremely rare..

Latest posts

Back