What does this mean?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmdial

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Looking thru some old posts and found lots of information. One interested me from Finman. He says "I change larvae in swarm cells". Not sure what this means. I sent him a msg for clarification also. I am trying the Nicot also but the less handling of the queen and cells is a good idea to me. I believe in letting the bees do as much as possible naturally if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

Only Finman can answer that one.

Do remember that beekeeping in the UK is VERY different from the States.

PH

Bit of a sweeping statement PH, large pollination beekeeping is certainly different, but hobby/small commercial beekeeping is pretty much the same the world over once you get into moveable frame hives. There might be different hives etc but at the end of the day they are wooden (or petrochemical) boxes containing a pile of bees.

I notice the OP has 7 colonies in Langstroths, hardly a huge operation, and not a world apart from anything this side of the pond, so I'll echo his question to you PH - how so?

As for the original question - then here I do agree - only Finman can answer that.

Last edited:
In a word climate.

I have not spent time in the states but did visit a bee farm in Ontario.

There I was shown a skep on a scale reading some 120lbs.

Said skep was started in late June, this was mid Sept, with a shake of bees and a Queen. That my friends is different.

Having read and owning several American general guide books to the craft, and having read many years worth of ABJ and Gleanings, I can with confidence say that keeping bees over there and over here are two very different beasts.

But dinna trust my word, go and do some serious reading and see if you agree or not, but do the reading first hmm?

PH

Wow this thread has an echo !

How so? bee-smillie

Some differences major and minor

Hive type - Although we have plenty of Lang users this side of the pond as well.
Pollen types
Climate
Double brood is the norm in the US
Greater amounts of imports
Rules and regs and laws are very different
Commercial guys transport their hives 1000's of miles each year
Africanized bees
Massive problems with SHB
(Cough) CCD

Plus many more I cant think of right now

Now we're talking

Thanks for the details. I am just trying to understand my own little world in No. Idaho but that helps me when I think about what I am reading. I always look to see where someone resides when I read Beesource.com postings because I know my situation is vastly different from the U.S. southern states. They have conditions and diseases we don't have to deal with being in a colder climate.

But, back to the original question. Anyone else have an idea what Finman is talking about? I wondered if he was referring to loading more royal jelly into a queen cell himself.

Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Soapy

Maybe he places larvae that he wants into the cells not larvae that the bees want.

Maybe he places larvae that he wants into the cells not larvae that the bees want.

This vaguely rings a bell from another discussion somewhere, involving Finman. I have a feeling that he replaces the larvae in the cells with a graft from a preferred hive.

A copy of the post, or details of date and time might allow us to explain, if Finman is not around to answer himself. Witout we would be guessing , even as to whether Finman was serious or leg pulling.

Regards, RAB

I am going to double guess here.

From the thread info he is saying if you have a colony which is keen to build cells then to give them the best material that you have. He then later suggests that getting the best material is not possible from a small sample ie 20 colonies which is very true.

I used to have the privilege of mating my queens on a bee farm which at that time ran 500, and had access to the farms breeder queens. Makes a real difference that sort of access.

Which leads on to another matter dear to my heart which is getting some sort of a breeding group organised.

And it really is hardly worth discussing as there are so many different aficionados to support. Each of course wanting to dominate and stand on every one else's toes. It's a non starter unless Gov is persuaded to say nope only this bee is allowed and which Gov is going to dare to do that?

PH

A copy of the post, or details of date and time might allow us to explain, if Finman is not around to answer himself. Witout we would be guessing , even as to whether Finman was serious or leg pulling.

Regards, RAB

Yeah, sorry. I wasnt even sure that it was on this forum, let alone date etc.

Latest posts

Back