What do your bees feed on ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What flowers do your bee's harvest during the year in your area ?

In my area of south Hampshire the year starts with a good flow from Willow,at the start of may they go onto Hawthorne with a little horse chesnut,june is Dandelion and garden flowers,July is Lavender August Bell/Ling heather finishing off in September with Ivy then its bedtime.

Mine feed on willow, sycamore, fruit trees, soft fruits, horse chestnut (the biggest flow) ivy and lots of other flowers and some honey dew.

main starter for me is fruit tree as the roads have cherry's along them, then tree fruits then brassicas, chestnut is a large flow for me so can lime if the hive is close enough to egnor all else after that it just flowers and loads of them all the way till ivy my lot because of the choice and location if the temp is ok will keep harvesting till very late several years ago i had a hive swarm in sept which i have neverr seen or heard of but when i had a good look they had fill all the brood box to the point the queen ran out of room and with no super on they decided to surprise me and moved to an old hive accros the yard.

Allotment fare. This is where my extensive botanical knowledge comes into play. Across the way we currently have some things with Yellow flowers, some trees with pink blossom, something possibly related to an onion with purple flowers and I saw some white flowers on the way to the compost last week. :( I'm going to kill everything I planted yesterday, I can feel it.

Earlier in the season, my bees were feeding on willow and an some early flower plum trees. Now they are busy with the field of oilseed rape that is now more than 12 feet away. Later on I guess they will feed on the flowers around the village, there is some ivy on a number of trees so they may feed on this in the Autumn.

It's my first year of keeping bees, so it's fingers crossed that there is enough food for them later in the season.

Latest posts

Back