What do you use to mark

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Marked a couple of queens yesterday, i stopped using those "Marker" pens sold by thornes, but instead tried their paint which is in a nail varnish type applicator, i marked one queen on the frame, as i brought the applicator brush close about 10-20 bees flew at it - not sure if it was the bright green colour or the smell, i also noticed within minutes the queen had stopped moving about while a circle of bees started to clean the substance from her thorax.

Have you seen this before, or is it just a very hygenic colony ?? is there anything we can mark with that they dont mind ?

I've seen a demo of queen marking at a club meeting where they used Humbrol model paint applied with the end of a matchstick.

They were probably reacting to the smell. You were lucky that your bees began grooming the queen they could have "balled" and killed her.

When marking a queen I always cage her in either a crown of thorns cage or one of the plunger jobbies and keep her there until the mark is completely dry, then return her to the comb she was taken from and watch for the reaction to her return - hopefully no sign of aggression
:cheers2: Mike

My experience of Humbrol paint (in very small cans) was that it is enamel and takes quite a while to dry. I would be hesitant to put it on a queen, but my mind is open.

Bright green nail polish borrowed from a teenage relative anyone? Maybe said relative could use your bee marking paint!

Bees are warm. The paint dried quickly. Just a cage, a quick blob, and let her go. Seems to work ok. Haven't tried it myself yet but probably will. JC.

Definately the smell,
I marked a queen last year with the stuff from sweintley, as soon as I opened the container, the bees pounced on it one even entered the neck of the bottle :(. as soon as I put the marked queen back into the hive there was a huge roar and she disappeared under a mass of bees!.
That's the last I'll see of her I thought :puke:
Not so, she survived and and now heads a productive hive :).

John Wilkinson

I mark the queen with either a marker pen or nail varnish, and then SMOKE her with a good puff from the smoker and so when I put her back into the colony the paint smell is disguised. I canna think offhand of losing a queen through marking.

PH

I use one of the marking pens I only use the white. As it is easy to see and dont see the point in buying all the colours.

looks as though i got away with that one then, i usually use the plunger type device to mark and clip, but i was being lazy and cutting corners.

Not Avisable.

I use tippex also. not bothered about the year of the queen.I change queen every 2nd year and keep killed queen in acohol to make bee lure.

i usually use the plunger type device to mark and clip

I tried the plunger but went back to using queen tongs. Takes me a few seconds to restrain the queen then I can take my time carefully and easily mark and/or clip the wings.

Haven't seen anyone else with queen tongs in the UK though.

I use one of the marking pens I only use the white. As it is easy to see and dont see the point in buying all the colours.

Guess it depends on how good your record keeping is with each hive & how many hives you have............ive used acrylic paints in the past with no problems.

Hi MArkymark
Where did you get the graphic, its a goodun

rowbow

I have used Tipex in the past with good results, I have acquired some coloured number disks,has any one found easy way handling and fixing said items.?

I have used Tipex in the past with good results, I have acquired some coloured number disks,has any one found easy way handling and fixing said items.?

10-15 secs of Co2 or a very gentle touch to hold the queen for a few minutes whilst the glue dries.

have you bought the kit from thornes or just the discs? the kit comes with a glue applicator (metal rod) just put a blob of glue on the queen and then pick up the pushed out number with the glue left on the rod and apply the number, push down with reasonable pressure to get the glue down the hairs, best carried out in a plunger cage I have found. I use it for traceability but the paints are as good if you are just making it easier to find the queen next time.
kev

Latest posts

Back