What do you think?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for £7 you cant go wrong, i would try one but it says Occassional so prob not very good

if your a new beek i would say to get a all in one suit

your ppe is one of the most important things in beekeeping imho so id steer clear of it and buy the best you can

I bought one of these as a spare for my spare ,just in case I had more than one person who wanted to look in my hive
Occasional is the main word here,it is definitly not suitable for anything but a casual look into a hive

They are ok for very occasional use but are bit on the tight size if you are more than 'M' sized.

If you are picking a swam up and someone wants to watch at close hand they are ideal, if you are bent over a hive they leave your chin very close to the mesh.

I regularly use an occasional veil when dealing with my own bees at home. When looking at my bees elsewhere, it is also convenient, but in both cases I can back off and put on an all lin one suit.

A lot of the bees that I work with would fall about laughing and I would get very stung indeed.

The fabric is good for a very light handkerchief but you could spit through it. Good value for money, but not really for beekeeping in. Be aware of the very real risk you run if you have techy bees.

I have used this occasional jacket ever since I got comfortable with my bees and kept my full suit for visitors.

I find this jacket very easy to put on and transport. I have never been stung through the jacket in 12 months use on my hives. My son is also happy to handle the bees in one.

The only drawback is that I have to be very careful when washing it not to get the metal rim of the veil wet, or else a rusty streak runs on the hat when drying.

I will probably buy another for next year in the sales.

My dad has one of these which he uses just when he is topping up the syrup or when he is watching me.

After washing my suit last week i forgot to put the hood on and put my normal jacket on with this occasional one over the top for the veil only.

Plus if you are going to wear this on your course i am not sure the trainers would let you handle the bees. They must just let you view them only and from a safe distance.

I certainly wouldn't trust it with a full inspection :)

Latest posts

Back