What do you strain your honey through?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all.

I've finally got round to extracting my honey and after around a day and a half of straining very little has found its way through the muslin cloth.

Is this to fine a cloth for straining? What do you guys and gals use?

Rob.

Is the honey nice and warm ?
It helps things along no end.

Is the honey nice and warm ?
It helps things along no end.

I have it in the kitchen so yes it's pretty warm but there is some OSR and other granulated honey which isn't helping when blocking up the filter!

I guess the finer the cloth the finer the honey depending upon what you want to end up with!

Have you got a larger filter you can try ?

Whats your location ?

Granulated honey will create all sorts of problems. Warm until all is liquid.

I run mine through a fine seive before the cloth if it seems appropriate.

Muslin The weave could be anything, so may be too fine, may not. Can't tell from here!!

Regards, RAB

Thanks all.

Just running it through a fine sieve then gonna try the muslin again or a slightly coarser mesh.

I'm in Hereford Admin.

In my experience honey won't run through a fine cloth at room temperature at any sort of practical rate. It will go through a fine stainless steel sieve but a fine cloth is a step too far. I heat the honey to at least 45C in a warming cabinet and then it flows well through a nylon straining cloth readily. Heating the honey to this sort of temperature does it no harm, remember the temperature in the brood nest is 35C. If you are concerned about HMF levels (which should not be an issue) then cool the honey as quickly as possible after straining and bottling.

If you don't have a warming cabinet warm the honey with a fan heater in a small room overnight before straining it.

we use muslin cloth and hang it above our kitchen heater which is oil fired so its always got a good warmth around it, but we have found that it helps to run a blade or something similar over the outside of the cloth to help the honey as it seeps through and to keep making the hanging bag tight around the honey so as to almost squeeze it through the cloth, can be a long process depending on the crop!

I'm now using a melitherm which is in effect a coil heater above a fine strainer. This works really well, especially with partially crystallised honey.

Try a fine metal seive from a catering supplier, I used to use them for straining coulis etc. The companies you can try are Nisbets or Russums, both are on the internet. The seives are reasonable priced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back