What do you see?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I have placed this photo on hear to see how many can give a good clear description of what is shown.

Regards;

I have placed this photo on hear to see how many can give a good clear description of what is shown.

Regards;

Looks like starved to death. Food has finished. Bees have tried to eate soft brood for their hungry.

But where are the adult bees? - a) perhaps a nuc or a moved hive where adult bees have left the nuc and moved to their the original hive.

b) shaked away to take a picture

Is it chalk brood too in some cells? (white)

Last edited:
Is that chalkbrood as well.........?

what do I see?

I see a rather patchy brood pattern

bee's head down in their cells like they have starved,

I see some sunken cappings and a quite a few perforated, as per a foul brood.

I see about 10 very white cells, at first I think chalk brood but chalkbrood that I have seen have been mummies and have not filled the cells like that.

In the top left 1/3rd there is what looks like a very white emerging bee :confused:

diagnosis, dunno? but the last thing I'd see is the phone number of the SBI after the hive had been sealed up :(

The bees have their heads in cells, which is usually a sign of starvation, but this is an area of brood so there should not normally have been a lot of sealed stores in amongst the brood.

Looks to me that the bees may have been trying to clear out the dead brood, or possibly varroa infested brood. Potentially hygienic behaviour but probably too many viruses present and the colony was killed off.

In my hives I have seen the same looking when the hive has brood during winter and they have consumed all food. To their last meal bees try to breake brood and eate them.

Same looking is too when the brood frame is in cld nuc and living too few bees try to clean the brood area.

looks like starvation where the bees have their heads in the cells and bums sticking out. White cells could be mouldy pollen? Not sure why the capped cells have been partially opened - possibly chilled brood that the house bees tried to clear before starving.

Maybe a colony that was compromised by losing its roof or knocked over?

poor buggers have been caught out by the weather. raised too much brood then lost desperate foragers, remaining bees starved- last remnants of food would have been stored temporarilly by the brood, hence heads in bees by the brood-mold set in post mortem. ragged cappings explained by malnurished brood dieing and remnants trying vainly to clear them out.
Possibly overactive laying brought on by the dreaded nosema c

Bees sometimes hide heads down when parasitized by varroa - why is there so much brood is the photo recent? could be plain old varroaosisi

Starvation definately.EFB quite possibly ,Sac brood ? Mouldy pollen.VERY dead colony.So sad

This was a frame shown at the Advanced Husbandry course a couple of years ago.

It shows starvation EFB old mouldy pollen when the diagnosis for EFB was carried out it showed another infection of Bacillus alvei.
That's it members.

Regards;

One cell looks like it has 3 eggs in it, ditto to the some of the other posts ie chalk brood and some other disease problems efb maybe?, cell pattern looks very irregular across the whole picture, wondering if this picture is as seen or turned 90 degrees.

I wouldn't of expected to see so many of the colony looking for food in the brood nest area when the tops of the cells are still smooth and not rough from being uncapped so guessing the picture taken during summer or autumn or the brood area would have had capped stores in it.

Last edited:
This was a frame shown at the Advanced Husbandry course a couple of years ago.

It shows starvation EFB old mouldy pollen when the diagnosis for EFB was carried out it showed another infection of Bacillus alvei.
That's it members.

Regards;

Thank you Bcrazy,

taff, off to Google Bacillus alvei

most interesting thread I've posted on
thanks bcrazy

Latest posts

Back