What do you run your OA sublimator off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An extension lead.
Inverter fitted to both bee vehicles and I can drive up to most of the apiaries.

I've used the smaller ride on mower 12v battery with no problems, its about a third of the size of a car battery. May not work for dozens of hives but should be enough for a single apiary and can be recharged between uses.
Mind sharing how you fix a cable to a mower battery

Yes - confused re what point you’re making though?

The point re the 1000A is that what you really need is a sensible amperage along with a sensible time. Without a time specified, that battery could last 5 seconds or 5 hours - the latter being a huge one! 100 Amps requires quite thick connection leads (think here of your domestic wiring for just a 13A lead).

One really needs to know the time the battery will last at the typical amperage drawn, without the battery overheating.

Energy content is a far better way to express battery capacity, along with the maximum delivery in amps/Watts. See my post on Dec 28th 9the reply was referring to lead/acid battery types.
Dec 28, 2020#16

a 12V 7Ah battery is 84Wh energy capacity - not all of which us available - unless you want to send your batteries to an early grave. Say 30% discharged only - that means only 30Wh is a sensibly usable.

If your heater uses 300W (doubtful as the varrox was only about 150W) would mean one fully charged battery (in ‘as new’ condition) would last just 6 minutes before needing to be recharged.

Just some simple physics - and simple maths to calculate it out. Does that help you make a decision?

The answer is no, if you want your batteries to last. Incidentally, automotive batteries (this includes motorcycles) are not manufactured to be discharged to any great extent as they will only last a very limited number of ‘full discharge cycle equivalents’. They are normally returned to full charge soon after operating the starter motor and power for ancillaries is derived from the automotive generator while the engine is running.

I think you need to investigate the power consumption/supply, as well as just the sublimox (and more about the sublimox than just source and price)

The way the cheap chinese Lithium batteries are rated is for the maximum hype. Cordless power tools are much more sensible and honest in their rating. A 2Ah x12V cordless screwdriver battery would last one hour @ 2A. That would be 24Wh (or 86.4kJoules [one Watt for one second is one Joule - the SI unit for energy]).

The current drawn to completely discharge the battery in one hour is designated as C. Batteries (particularly lead/acid types will deliver far more energy if the discharge time is extended - like to 20 hours (when the discharge rate is then called the C/20 rate).

To calculate what size battery you require is calculated from the current and time for each operation and how many operations required.

For Lithium cells, one needs to know the actual chemistry as well - eg LiPO cells (4.2V max) is different to LIFe PO4 cells (3.65V max). There are other chemistries. So 3S strings are good enough (just) for a 12V LiPO (under light load) but 4S is the usual for LiFePO4 cells. For heavier currents (or extra capacity), for a given cell size and battery voltage, one simply parallel the cells (or strings) to remain within the battery specification for maximum discharge rate for each cell. Again, those two chemistries have different maximum discharge rates for cells with the same dimensions - LiPO have a far higher discharge rate than LiFePO4.

Further complications apply while re-charging - power tool batteries are able to be recharged in about 20 minutes but cell prameters need to be carefully controlled to avoid problems (lifetime and prevention of fires).

I expect most, if not all of the cheap chinese options, suggested above, are inadequate in at least one parameter. Get it wrong and you waste your money or can cause a fire.

If that lot makes it clearer, good; if not, your vaping could turn out to be an expensive operation.

As an aside, I have three 5kWh (almost) LiPO batteries which are 14S with quite a few cells in parallel. One of them powers an inverter which easily delivers 2kW, at mains voltage, for a couple of hours. Each battery weighs 46kg.

lIfepo4 or li-ion phosphate is old battery tech and heavy, in the e bike world these were abandoned a good ten years ago as weight to power ratio was far worse then li po then later li-on. They do have great current discharge and a more even discharge curve as the voltage rang is much smaller and may be of use in heavy commercial vehicles or household solar use where the weight isn't an issue.

I bought a Generator and lug that round. As I follow my own advice re hive location "needs" it usually stays on the back of the motor or alternatively, I carry it at most 15 yds.

The many contributions to this discussion emphasize one thing for me, namely that many people do not have a clear understanding of electricity, or the technical words which are used to describe electrical circuits. Words like volts, amps, watts, amp-hours, milliamps.

The most important thing to realise and understand is that in these days we are so familiar with electronic devices such as smart phones, computers, and LED lights, which all have comparatively small power needs, and can be powered by batteries which are physically small, especially when compared to lead-acid car batteries, or deep-cycle batteries which you may use for your caravan.

On the other hand, any kind of heating device, whether that be an electric jug, a toaster, or an Oxalic Acid Vaporiser, has much greater power needs.

It is a bit like comparing the water requirements for honey-bees, and for farm animals such as cows or horses. Quite literally, some of these heating devices typically use a thousand times as much power (or more) than a phone or LED torch.

I find it interesting that people can be impressed by large numbers, such as “1800mAh” ( in posting #9), or “1000A” (in #22), or “12000mAh” (in #26).

For example, 1000A or 12000mAh. 12000mAh might sound quite impressive to someone who did not really understand. Quite apart from the numbers themselves, it is important to understand what is meant by “A” (Amps), and “Ah” (Amp-hours). “Amps” refers to the actual rate of flow of electrical current. “Amp-hours” refers to an actual “quantity” or “amount” of electricity.

Let me use the analogy of a stream of water. Most students, when they learn about electricity, are told that the analogy of a stream of water is helpful in gaining an understanding of electricity. For example, consider a large garden hose with a flow of 1000 litres of water per hour (or 16.67 litres per minute). At the end of a full day, 24000 litres of water would have been discharged – quite a lot of water (24 tonnes). On the other hand, 12000mAh means “twelve thousand milliamp-hours” which is exactly the same as “twelve amp-hours”, and in our water analogy would mean just a total quantity of 12 litres, which would be discharged after one hour, and then the tap was turned off.

Getting back to Oxalic Acid Vaporisers, which require heat, the best decision involves the total actual amount of heat you require, and how “portable” you require that source of heat to be. It seems like an easy decision to me that a gas-burning device has total advantage when the total amount of heat required is large, and light-weight portability is the real issue.

If buying these lion/lipo chargers don't charge them up and leave them fully charged when not being used as over time this ages the battery cell life span.
Best is once the battery is depleted too leave them sitting at 30 - 70% charge or at it's nominal value which for 3s/12v is 11.1v. Unlike SLA chemistry is totally different as is storage/non use charge.

lIfepo4 or li-ion phosphate is old battery tech and heavy, in the e bike world these were abandoned a good ten years ago as weight to power ratio was far worse then li po then later li-on. They do have great current discharge and a more even discharge curve as the voltage rang is much smaller and may be of use in heavy commercial vehicles or household solar use where the weight isn't an issue.
Hi there, can you give me your expert opinion on this please. I’ve no idea, but I’ve got one and think I’ve made a mistake 😬
360W 12V/24V Car Battery Charger Pulse Repair Jump Starter Booster Power Bank FY | Wish

The link only opened if you’ve got the app installed it seems?
Sorry.

Description
360W 12V/24V Car Battery Charger Pulse Repair Jump Starter Booster Power Bank FY WELCOME TO OUR SHOP Features: 1. Eightfold safety protection. Reverse connection protection, short circuit protection, over temperature protection, over voltage protection, low voltage protection, over current protection, fire protection, electric shock protection 2. All kinds of cars are suitable. 12V/24V universal. Suitable for battery capacity 35AH-200AH cars, motorcycles, large trucks, dry batteries, water batteries, maintenance-free batteries and lead-acid batteries. 3. Silent repair. The high and low frequency pulse technology is used to repair the depleted battery, and each charge is maintained to extend the service life of the battery. 4. Full of self-stop. One-button automatic, the current is 0 when fully charged, no manual care is required. 5. 12V/24V voltage automatic identification. Motorcycles, cars, SUVs, vans, off-road vehicles and agricultural vehicles have a universal output of 360W. 6. LCD display. The liquid crystal displays current and voltage. 7. Simple operation. First connect the battery, red clip positive + black clip negative, you can choose a suitable current, plug in the household 220V power supply, you can start charging. Specification: Charging current: 15A Charging range: 35AH-200AH Input voltage: 220V Output voltage: 24V Line length: 80cm Rated power: 360W Size: 24*19*14.5cm Color:Black+Yellow Package Content: 1 x 24V CAR BATTERY CHARGER

Attachments

• F9F4254D-8A4D-4305-9705-627F34E6F6AE.png
    F9F4254D-8A4D-4305-9705-627F34E6F6AE.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
Sorry.

Description
360W 12V/24V Car Battery Charger Pulse Repair Jump Starter Booster Power Bank FY WELCOME TO OUR SHOP Features: 1. Eightfold safety protection. Reverse connection protection, short circuit protection, over temperature protection, over voltage protection, low voltage protection, over current protection, fire protection, electric shock protection 2. All kinds of cars are suitable. 12V/24V universal. Suitable for battery capacity 35AH-200AH cars, motorcycles, large trucks, dry batteries, water batteries, maintenance-free batteries and lead-acid batteries. 3. Silent repair. The high and low frequency pulse technology is used to repair the depleted battery, and each charge is maintained to extend the service life of the battery. 4. Full of self-stop. One-button automatic, the current is 0 when fully charged, no manual care is required. 5. 12V/24V voltage automatic identification. Motorcycles, cars, SUVs, vans, off-road vehicles and agricultural vehicles have a universal output of 360W. 6. LCD display. The liquid crystal displays current and voltage. 7. Simple operation. First connect the battery, red clip positive + black clip negative, you can choose a suitable current, plug in the household 220V power supply, you can start charging. Specification: Charging current: 15A Charging range: 35AH-200AH Input voltage: 220V Output voltage: 24V Line length: 80cm Rated power: 360W Size: 24*19*14.5cm Color:Black+Yellow Package Content: 1 x 24V CAR BATTERY CHARGER

Attachments

Latest posts

Back