What do you do wit dead queens?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was listening to a beekeeping podcast this week and one of the hosts said she buried queens she pinched out under a flower.

It was very sentimental but quite funny.

I wonder what do you do with a dead queen - if you pinch them out?

Squash them where I want the bees to swarm. Doesn't always work but...... Hey what else can you do with them!

I put them all into a small pot of alcohol and let them steep. A few drops into a bait hive. Cheaper than swarm lures

I did but I did not find any sign that it works. Waste of alcohol.

Cast into lawn, is my advice.

I put them all into a small pot of alcohol and let them steep. A few drops into a bait hive. Cheaper than swarm lures

Theoretical proplem is that a swarm goes after its own queen scent, and do not after some druncken aunt.

Theoretical proplem is that a swarm goes after its own queen scent, and do not after some druncken aunt.
When out collecting a swarm earlier this year I found that a hundred or so bees took great interest in a queen catcher that I had in an open pocket of my tool bag. Obviously their queen hadn't been anywhere near it but they were certainly interested in the residual pheromone of other queens (showing no aggresion).

I haven't tried steeping queens in alcohol and using as a swarm lure, but from what I've seen there may be merit in it.

Did I read on here that someone froze the dead queens and if they ever needed to lure out a live queen? Thaw the dead queen out, place on top of the frames and wait for her to emerge?

Frozen Queen. Tissue cells are broken. At once after melting it starts to rotten.

Rotten Queen as a lure...

I put once 5 queens into alcohol and I tried it. No reaction.

Even living mated Queen do not attract the swarm, because swarm has its own Queen. Guess, how often I have tried. If you try to change the swarm Queen, bees kill the new Queen.

And that swarm lure is Nasanov gland pheromone. Not Queen pheromones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back