What do you call your hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so should the hive number/name stay with, the brood box, the floor, the colony, (associated equipment) etc ?

Yes.
Especially so if you live in an area where disease is prevalent.

To be clear: I am describing the "barrier" approach for people living in areas where the prevalence of disease is "high".
The brood box, floor, cover and roof comprise the basic hive. This should stay together as a single unit. Supers and frames may also be marked so they are returned to the same hive/apiary.

Last edited:
Waaw great !

I just might have the breaking bad bee and chinese characters painted on my hive.

Would be cool

I suggest that you reconsider. If one hive had a diseased colony, you'd (or APHA would) want to trace which equipment might be contaminated.
I can trace all the queens and where they came from . Daughters are 5a17 etc . Then if any good they are given a number but the original number is on the record card. I can even tell you when they were mated lol. I can tell you every brood box etc they have been in.
Can't trace supers though. Well not yet. Nothing a marker won't sort out .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can trace all the queens and where they came from . Daughters are 5a17 etc . Then if any good they are given a number but the original number is on the record card. I can even tell you when they were mated lol. I can tell you every brood box etc they have been in.
Can't trace supers though. Well not yet. Nothing a marker won't sort out .

We have a different system, but, it seems to achieve the same thing.
At one point (when I did the DASH course), I went through all of my frames marking them with an apiary number, intent on apiary level containment.
Bedfordshire is considered a "low risk" area for disease by APHA so, I'm going a bit OTT really.

Leicestershire is too. Low risk. I do have some bees near the border with Warwickshire and that area has efb regularly.
I keep detailed records because I intend taking the husbandry and that requires good records.
A little ott but it works.
Good hygiene too. Always washing gloves etc. Have a bucket full of hive tools.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

My hives are all named after their queens. My queens are named from A-Z using body parts and diseases as the source material. The two newest queens are Nipple and Orifice...

My hives are all named after their queens. My queens are named from A-Z using body parts and diseases as the source material. The two newest queens are Nipple and Orifice...

Useful names as the former is unlikely to go into the latter smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine are named after prison wings A wing, B wing, C wing then the supers are the 1's, 2's & 3's, as they did all start their lives behind the wall.......
My Honeys even called Bee Wing Honey.....

Beekeepers don't have to be eccentric do they?

1, 2, 3 etc. All housed buckfast bees with the tempremant of a labrador dog. Except for the hive that housed Satan, take the roof off and immediatly streamed out and started bouncing... Her daughter was worse and got called 'daughter of satan'. Both had relatively short life spans....

Now moved on to barcode for queens
Hives & Supers have code and our logo branded onto them.
All nucs have own numbers ie PP-1 PP-2...... PP-50 etc for the Paynes Pollys... MM-1 etc for the Maisies... The old wood ones ( should really sell on) have tree names like Oak, Ash, Elm, Birch, Cedar... etc ... from a time when I had more of it and had to look to my feminine side for inspiration.... but run out of letters!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back