What do you bring on your nucs in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I'm intrigued to know what the folks on here that produce nucs keep them in to bring them on?

I'm considering corex boxes next season as I'm hoping to rear quite a few - purely as an economical option - but I don't fancy going off and buying a load of professionally-made ply or cedar nuc boxes if I can avoid it.

Any other suggestions anyone?

WPC

Almost like an ammunition box, with a bit of heavy guage plastic to keep the rain off.

Ask Hedgerowpete or just search his videos for cheap fabrication instructions.

I keep my few nucs in nuc hives. Otherwise known as an eked National in cedar (softwood eke) and/or Dartington 'carryboxes' with OMF's; or I would consider split brood boxes.

But some might consider some of my my nucs nearly full colonies - 14 x 12s with a half super above. Early ones are easier than later ones (which need to be stronger, dependent on the wasp threat). Not sure of the insulating properties of a single layer of corex in a cold period.

Regards, RAB

i know of a very good looking bloke who does videos you can see and ask??

Thanks for that Pete - I'll take a look at your videos - I was thinking about anything cheap and ready-made that could be bought and that would do the job, even if I had to drill a hole or two. Sadly, my DIY skills are abysmal to say the least....drilling holes is about my limit (ask the Mrs!)!

o90o - I'm thinking from early April through to the end of June/early July, not all year round.

WPC

A poly nuc of course.

A Langstroth one will convert to give a useful internal feeder if using Nat brood frames.

PH

i can do better than that if you wany realy cheap and realy realy easy to do why not look at polystirene boxs, yep the cheap soft packing ones we were talking about the earlier this spring as an idea they were around a £2 each delivered and more than large enough to keep a nuc in for say 5 months or longer over winter , to preevnt the ladies nibbling then quickly we found that a few layers of thick masonary paint did the trick, and at that cost we could include them as part of the nuc price when we sold them on

A poly nuc of course.

A Langstroth one will convert to give a useful internal feeder if using Nat brood frames.

PH

Who are the suppliers of poly nucs in the UK PH, National or Langstroth?

WPC,
Try Modern Beekeeping,I bought a Polynuc with a national conversion kit. I have just checked the website and it appears they are not in stock but take it from me he does do them maybe worth an email?

GWW

The original 5 frame poly nucs are not available any more but there is a 6 frame LS nuc coming. It is a brand new product not previously sold in this country.

The extra width will allow a frame feeder or potentionally it could be split into two 3 frame nucs.

Probably won't be on sale until early next year.

ok you lot stop messing about we ant talking proper bee nuc boxs , i was talking fish packing boxs, do a search through the old threads and see whats there, these were realy very very cheap boxs we aggred that they were to soft so the bees would eat them but with masonary paint linning they would do for sales or over wintering.

My last lot I bought direct from swienty in Denmark.

I dare say sone layers of paint will delay tunneling in sofy poly but not for ever. ;)

There is poly and poly and you get what you pay for and depending on the quality will be the life span. I expect mine to see me out, and I am hoping for another 20+ years.

PH

Who are suppliers of poly nucks boxes National or Langstroth? Thanks!

Poly Nucs

I agree it is expensive ,but it is the cheapest that I thought was ok that I could find
I friend bought one on e bay and it was rubbish.
I want to have a go at building them using the video by hedgrow Pete but this is just in case they do not turn out ok, as woodwork is not something I have tried ,but Pete makes it look easy, that normally means I will have a problem with it,past expeiences have found.

Back