What do do with uncapped stores?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 (3 National and 1 wbc)
For the first time I put bees up to the Heather in 2 standard Nationals.
I had put premier unwired thin wax super honey box on each hive that had one and a half standard size brood nest box.

I fed each hive 1:1 syrup on a rapid 4 pint circular feeder, to draw out the comb,I continued feeding over a period of a week and found nectar ( or perhaps 1:1 syrup) partially filling the combs.

I stopped feeding both hives and removed the uncapped honey box above the QE in the other National Hive#1 and moved across to National Hive#5.

Hive#1 I put on a premier unwired thin wax super honey box with no feeding.
On inspection last weekend, nothing drawn out so this Monday I put a feeder back on over the undrawn comb,with 1:1 syrup in a 4 pint circular rapid feeder.

My question is,
Can I stick the defrosted uncapped comb back in the honey box next season at the Heather for the bees to finish off capping it? and sell it for human consumption?

For the first time I put bees up to the Heather in 2 standard Nationals.
I had put premier unwired thin wax super honey box on each hive that had one and a half standard size brood nest box.

I fed each hive 1:1 syrup on a rapid 4 pint circular feeder, to draw out the comb,I continued feeding over a period of a week and found nectar ( or perhaps 1:1 syrup) partially filling the combs.

I stopped feeding both hives and removed the uncapped honey box above the QE in the other National Hive#1 and moved across to National Hive#5.

Hive#1 I put on a premier unwired thin wax super honey box with no feeding.
On inspection last weekend, nothing drawn out so this Monday I put a feeder back on over the undrawn comb,with 1:1 syrup in a 4 pint circular rapid feeder.

My question is,
Can I stick the defrosted uncapped comb back in the honey box next season at the Heather for the bees to finish off capping it? and sell it for human consumption?
If I understand you correctly it may be syrup so no!

If I understand you correctly it may be syrup so no!
I think that is what the general consensus has been.
Basically honey nectar contaminated with syrup ( I won’t be making that mistake again)
It’s just that on another thread ‘Heather disappoints’, I read a poster saying they froze combs that had been to the Heather.
I had never heard of freezing honey so in my wee head 2+2 made 5 in that uncapped stores could be frozen too.

I think that is what the general consensus has been.
Basically honey nectar contaminated with syrup ( I won’t be making that mistake again)
It’s just that on another thread ‘Heather disappoints’, I read a poster saying they froze combs that had been to the Heather.
I had never heard of freezing honey so in my wee head 2+2 made 5 in that uncapped stores could be frozen too.
Honey freezes well. It does t actually go solid
I freeze my cut comb to stop it crystallising and defrost as needed.

Honey freezes well. It does t actually go solid
I freeze my cut comb to stop it crystallising and defrost as needed.
Mine goes solid when I freeze it! I froze some runny honey to keep it runny for Christmas. It was definitely solid when I opened it and before it thawed!

Mine goes solid when I freeze it! I froze some runny honey to keep it runny for Christmas. It was definitely solid when I opened it and before it thawed!
The million dollar question is.......Did it become runny again after it was fully thawed?

Mine doesn’t but it doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t crystallise which the important bit.

Why wouldn’t it?
I had never thought of freezing honey before, so what I know about freezing honey would not fill the back of a postage stamp.
Hence my tongue in cheek question.
So I take it that it becomes runny again?

I had never thought of freezing honey before, so what I know about freezing honey would not fill the back of a postage stamp.
Hence my tongue in cheek question.
So I take it that it becomes runny again?
It comes out the way it went in. None of my honey has ever gone solid in the freezer though. Just cold like one of those ice packs gel things you get for RICE....ing

The million dollar question is.......Did it become runny again after it was fully thawed?
Oh yes, perfect. There is little expansion so I just put the jars in, lid and all!

Latest posts

Back