What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that one wheeled hive barrows are much better if there's even a hint at rough or uneven ground - was moving supers on a sack truck the other day (it was at hand so 'convenient') one wheel hit a slight dip, barrow tilted and over they went - luckily they were well propolised so I didn't have the nightmare of full frames of honey scattered everywhere. always found that if you are using two wheels it is much safer to pull it backwards rather than push.
I agree one wheel gives a much better ride for the hives!

I agree one wheel gives a much better ride for the hives!

Maybe I should take one wheel off? :D

hive-barrow-01.jpg

hive-barrow-02.jpg

I can't recall off the top of my head, but it looks like what might laughingly be termed "the axle" goes all the way across, in which case I probably could swap it to a single wheel if it becomes apparent that two wheels is not desirable.

James

Actually come to think of it, one of the benefits of the design is that it will stand vertically by itself, balanced on the wheels and the loop of the frame at the front, making it a little easier to store.

I am thinking on adding an additional platform on that loop somehow as a place to carry my toolbox. As I've not yet finished the toolbox however (in fact I've barely started -- I spent this evening making up a load of ninety degree clamping jigs so I can hold it together square whilst I get it glued up), I need to leave it for the moment.

James

We have something similar Stan built on an old wheelbarrow.....with one wheel
It needs a strap as a stack of supers can slide about. He's attached one to front and back

Come the time to put honey in jars I always end up balancing the bucket on bits of scrap timber and suchlike to get the last of the honey out of the gate. It's really not satisfactory and there's always the risk of things tipping over and honey going all over the place. But no longer!

I dug out some scrap bits of timber (including some quite nasty 18mm ply) and a pair of hinges that have been sitting about since forever and inspired by the Apiarist built myself a honey bucket tipper. The major differences with mine are that it has a fixed base giving space underneath for scales and a 1lb honey jar and that I've used toggle latches to stop the platform opening up when it's stored that also keep the "wedge" in place.

honey-bucket-tipper-01.jpg

honey-bucket-tipper-02.jpg

honey-bucket-tipper-03.jpg

It still needs a coat or two of varnish, but I think this year I can look forward to more reliable jar filling.

James
thats a brilliant idea i have the same problem i will make one thanks very much

A few of mine - the wooden platform one was a prototype, very handy around the home apiary - for shifting other things, not just supers. but the bread basket ones beat all - one of them is made from a flimsy cheapo barrow which in all honesty was unfit for any building/garden work but as a hive barrow is great, easy to chuck into the back of the truck - or even the passenger seat if the back is full, and it will carry five 'empty' supers or three full. The third one lives permanently at another apiary and will take four full supers, after that it just gets a bit unstable!
barrow.jpgbarrow3.jpgbarrow4.jpg

thats a brilliant idea i have the same problem i will make one thanks very much
A tipper - on a stand so you can slide the digital scales partially under - makes bottling so much easier.. and faster and less messy.

This used to be a fishing barrow (back when I had time for other hobbies🙄) but is now perfect as a beeking barrow!

Attachments

• A3B97ADA-D1E5-4D62-A1F3-E64E643EED42.jpeg
    A3B97ADA-D1E5-4D62-A1F3-E64E643EED42.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
You put the hives on a truck and then move the truck using the barrow?

James
Sort of a scissor action. You pull the pin out of the right 'arm'. Move the arms either side of your stack of boxes which have to be strapped together on top of a floor or roof. The rails on the inside of the arms engage in the recesses in one of the boxes. Put the pin back in and away you go.

Earlier in the week I spent a happy evening making these from some scrap 18mm ply.

right-angle-jigs.jpg

They're jigs to allow me to clamp stuff together at perfect right angles. Amongst other things I wanted them for assembling my "beekeeping toolbox".

beekeeping-toolbox-01.jpg

beekeeping-toolbox-02.jpg

Mostly it's made from reclaimed cedar from hive parts that were beyond practical repair, although the floor is ply and the handle is part of a curtain rail. Today I added a bit on the outside to allow my bee brush to fit in. I'm not really keen on bee brushes as they're a potential vector for the spread of disease, but we didn't get any pheasants invading the garden last winter so I've run out of (single use) feathers to use instead. I suspect the design will evolve further as I find additional things that need to be kept safe (a pair of secateurs comes in handy at one place I have hives for instance).

I'm also contemplating adding a mobile phone pocket meaning it's nearby rather than in the car, so in the event that I'm alone at a distant apiary dying of anaphylaxis I can at least leave a message for my wife telling her not to sell all my toys for what I told her they cost :D

James

the builder called by this morning - when they were clearing up after completing the rendering they had inadvertently taken two of my shovels back to their stores, he brought them back - and also an 8'x4' sheet of celotex from another site they were rendering on. so busily cutting them up to insulate the new hive roofs I bought at the sales.
As he would say 'happy days!'

There's a bungalow in a nearby village that's having an extension built at the moment. It has a big stack of celotex outside. I've been quite tempted to stop and tell them that if there's any offcuts left over I'll happily take them off their hands...

James

Back