What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get correx from old estate agent signs, speak to local agents and they may be able to put you in touch with whichever company they use to take their old signs down for them.

Now there's an idea. I wonder what all the "Vote <whoever>" signs currently littering hedgerows and front gardens are made of?

James

Now there's an idea. I wonder what all the "Vote <whoever>" signs currently littering hedgerows and front gardens are made of?

James
I have picked up about 6 sheets of 2'x3' surface dressing road signs recently They never bother to cut them of the posts!

Last edited:
Six ekes and the wooden part of two UFEs, all from pallet wood. Mesh to go on tomorrow along with Danish oil. When I get time I will be modifying the design a little to make an interchangeable solid floor option plus a hatch for sublimation from below. Will likely then start cannibising old normal floors for the mesh for future UFEs.
Did you plane the pallet wood?
Have several stacked up in the veg garden.

I replaced the drive belt on the bottom
of my Konegin rotary steam wax extractor / frame steriliser and have been running back to back batches to clean up old frames ready for re-waxing

I had a brain wave and also threw in the used muslin I strain wax through and also the dried patty of slub that remains and was amazed at the amount of wax left inside what looked like waste slub that came out…

I’ve got a large pile of frames that had wax cut out from them over the winter to do a final clean on and pleased the machine is running again.
KR

Somerford

I rescued some semi-rotten pallets from the rubbish pile at the allotment. One man's trash...
IMG_20220508_154746.jpg

Bit of gluing and cutting.
IMG_20220510_193804.jpg

Few screws, lick of paint. 4x 5-frame nucs.
IMG_20220513_155730.jpg

Just need to make some roof sides to go round the celotex, then stick some offcuts of DPM over the top. Oh and buy some entrance disks.
Woodworking isn't one of my strongest skills, I think I'd charitably describe them as "rustic," but if the bees don't appreciate any of the inadvertent ventilation they'll soon propolise up the gaps.

I rescued some semi-rotten pallets from the rubbish pile at the allotment. One man's trash...
View attachment 31889

View attachment 31887

View attachment 31888

Just need to make some roof sides to go round the celotex, then stick some offcuts of DPM over the top. Oh and buy some entrance disks.
Woodworking isn't one of my strongest skills, I think I'd charitably describe them as "rustic," but if the bees don't appreciate any of the inadvertent ventilation they'll soon propolise up the gaps.
Where did you get the plans from or are they your own design?

View attachment 31889

View attachment 31887

View attachment 31888

Where did you get the plans from or are they your own design?
My own design (well, I've not followed plans but frames and beespace are standard!), but they're pretty simple. For 14x12, 460x324mm for the sides, 180 (for 5-frame. For additional frames add 38mm/frame)x305mm for the ends. Put the ends 376mm apart, centered left-right and flush with the bottom of the sides. That should give you a box that'll take a 14x12 frame with a 10mm bee space above, on the sides and below.

Roof, floor and rebated end bars will vary depending on thickness of timber used.

I spent Sunday morning removing wax from over 100 brood and super frames preparing them for boiling.
Yesterday I spent a peaceful morning repairing and replacing foundation in 39 14x12 brood frames and 20 super frames.

New honey room almost finished, electrician starts the wiring tomorrow, I've already done the first fix for him.
Clearing boards going on Friday evening no matter what happens.

Collected a large piece of Perspex off freecycle today. Enough to make 6 poly crown boards. Seen quite a bit advertised on freecycle recently, perhaps shops etc are starting to dispose of covid screens.

Collected a large piece of Perspex off freecycle today. Enough to make 6 poly crown boards. Seen quite a bit advertised on freecycle recently, perhaps shops etc are starting to dispose of covid screens.

Not seen any over my way yet, but then I still sometimes see people driving otherwise empty cars whilst wearing a mask so perhaps they're just more paranoid around here. The sports centre and the few petrol stations and shops I've been in recently still have screens up, too.

Someone has just offered an 8x8 greenhouse though and I'm quite tempted :D

James

Not seen any over my way yet, but then I still sometimes see people driving otherwise empty cars whilst wearing a mask so perhaps they're just more paranoid around here. The sports centre and the few petrol stations and shops I've been in recently still have screens up, too.

Someone has just offered an 8x8 greenhouse though and I'm quite tempted :D

James
That sounds good

I have redacted all the estate agents logos from my varroa trays since they all reneged on that lucrative sponsorship deal.
I would be a bit concerned that using old estate agent signs in the hives would encourage the bees to move house and swarm!!

Latest posts

Back