What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quicker with a nail gun 😀
View attachment 29396
I was wondering why in the video the nails didn't get nailed in the ends of the end bars instead they were put in the sides?
I was making frames like that but removing them isn't easy?

I was wondering why in the video the nails didn't get nailed in the ends of the end bars instead they were put in the sides?
The reason is twofold!
1they don’t drop to pieces
2 if driven into the ends, the gimp pins driven through the top bar interfere with your scraping the top bar .

As I said a in a previous post talking about cleaning frames. I don't, I buy seconds and throw the old frames away when no use so no need to ever take them to bits.

The reason is twofold!
1they don’t drop to pieces
2 if driven into the ends, the gimp pins driven through the top bar interfere with your scraping the top bar .
I've had frames fall apart on me this season, but I posted a photo of my daughter making frames like the video and I got told of (not the traditional way)
I've continued to make them both ways the children find it easier to keep the frames lay down and put the nails through the side.

Edit: @Newbeeneil just seen your post and understand your reasons ;):)

Even quicker if you make a jig up and do 10 at once.
As demonstrated by Ian stapler

Yes but you can't put the foundation in at the same time. I find putting the foundation in after the frames are made is extremely time consuming!

Yes but you can't put the foundation in at the same time. I find putting the foundation in after the frames are made is extremely time consuming!

I find it is the fastest part of the job.

I store frames unwaxed. I can wax 10 frames with a nailgun in under 15 minutes - after I remember how to do it!

That is true, you can leave one bottom bar out and then put foundation in in separate session. What everway you do it frames are a chore. Even buying ready made up and wired requires tightening and embedding which is still monotonous. Frame prep is definitely my least favourite part of bee keeping

That is true, you can leave one bottom bar out and then put foundation in in separate session. What everway you do it frames are a chore. Even buying ready made up and wired requires tightening and embedding which is still monotonous. Frame prep is definitely my least favourite part of bee keeping
Yes I get bored if I spend too long doing it. I knock up a few boxes worth at the start of the season in hour long bursts (I can get about 3 boxes done in that time) and store them until they are needed in my holder. As I use them I top the holder up when I have another hour free.
IMG_0489(1).jpg

Anyone else feel his name is rather appropriate for this video?
His name is Ian Steppler, not "stapler". It helps sometimes if people check the accuracy of their comments.
I have built, and use, a jig for assembling frames - it is an extremely helpful device which serves almost as well as another pair of hands.

Made hand dipped and rolled Xmas candles - now remember why I only do it once a year, takes so long for wax to melt slowly, tie up all the wick, then dip and roll each one
No sign of my Thornes delivery dispatched last Wednesday so waxing my plastic super frames for next years heather crop, will have to wait

Attachments

• 35FB6C42-C78B-49B3-9EAC-16B3C5E6D3F2.jpeg
    35FB6C42-C78B-49B3-9EAC-16B3C5E6D3F2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 7940485D-AFEE-46EC-AAAD-C52CCB03351F.jpeg
    7940485D-AFEE-46EC-AAAD-C52CCB03351F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • C9B54B89-15E8-421D-AF5E-63670CF31588.jpeg
    C9B54B89-15E8-421D-AF5E-63670CF31588.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 21.52.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 21.52.23.png
    935.6 KB · Views: 1
Yes I get bored if I spend too long doing it. I knock up a few boxes worth at the start of the season in hour long bursts (I can get about 3 boxes done in that time) and store them until they are needed in my holder. As I use them I top the holder up when I have another hour free.
View attachment 29405
They look nice and tight frames Neil, I presume the stand is home made?

Yes, knocked up from some cedar off cuts.
Looks very good I need to make something similar to hold frames, rather than storing made frames in hive body's, like you I like to make frames and put foundation in at the same time, spent an hour or two early mornings this season doing this before going out on my rounds.
After you've made quite a few I'm able to hit nails in in one hit a bit like using a gun, it's so labourious though and I'm not really looking forward to making them for the new season.

Latest posts

Back