What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my all time favourite and customers love them. Takes twice as much wax as a skep.
View attachment 29301
Beautiful candle.

We've got a lot of moulds (70+) but prefer the simpler ones. . Sadly we don't do so much with them anymore but as the moulds don't eat anything they're staying - as a good asset for the future.

Today I finished my solar wax extractor refurbishment. It is seven years old and home made but should be good for a few years yet. Good couple of coats of Ronseal woodstain after a rub down with the sander and then lined with celotex. This takes about eight frames and sits on an old office chair base which I can swivel around easily but it would be lovely if I could get a piece of kit which allowed/made it to do a 360 rotation on a clockwork or electric system following the sun in the summer rather than shifting it every 2 hours or so!! I filter the melting wax through a coarse filter and J cloths directly into a silicone baking loaf mould which makes it easy to get out as a block of clean wax. Usually make my own foundation - next of the jobs on the list.

Attachments

• IMG_3736.JPG
    IMG_3736.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3738.JPG
    IMG_3738.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
The "technology" you want already exists. Sun tracking photovoltaic panels just use a turntable and a couple of sensors and motors to tilt and turn.

The "technology" you want already exists. Sun tracking photovoltaic panels just use a turntable and a couple of sensors and motors to tilt and turn.
Yes I went on safari to Zambia and took in the total eclipse in 2003. Plenty of folk had these things attached to their cameras.

Topped up the fondant containers and a friend is letting me have a load of spare containers so I’ll do those at the weekend.
Two of the hives are out at every opportunity and munching through fondant like there’s no tomorrow. The other one is tightly clustered in the middle of the brood box. I had to peek under the fondant container to check they were still there!

I'm frame building for the first time ever. It appears this is a task that I am incredibly slow at.

Not quite in the workshop, but here is a photo of the simple tea light holder and tea lights that I helped my gardening group members make today. I pre drilled the holes and cut to size, and they sanded and oiled the wood and made the candles. Used reclaimed Douglas Fir from a 1930’s door and wax from my bees. They were very pleased with the end result.

Attachments

• 8F047E10-810A-45A8-A3CD-40EF35E4BF22.jpeg
    8F047E10-810A-45A8-A3CD-40EF35E4BF22.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
Not quite in the workshop, but here is a photo of the simple tea light holder and tea lights that I helped my gardening group members make today. I pre drilled the holes and cut to size, and they sanded and oiled the wood and made the candles. Used reclaimed Douglas Fir from a 1930’s door and wax from my bees. They were very pleased with the end result.
That’s very pretty.

Lovely, it’s so satisfying isn’t it making presents from the bees

Lovely, it’s so satisfying isn’t it making presents from the bees
Definitely! Each person took their candles and holders home. For some, it may be the last Christmas that they will be able to remember and I wanted to do something special.

Really pretty .... I like reclaiming timber ... I've got 14 solid oak kitchen cupboard doors that I've had in store for 14 years ,,,,, (I know ... don't tell 'er indoors - she thinks they went to the tip about 4 years ago) and I reckon with a bit of fettling the framing would make lots of those. What to do with the centre panels which are also solid oak ... hide them again is probably the answer !

What to do with the centre panels which are also solid oak
You could knock up a nice coffin with that.
My Godfather made one for himself years ago - well, he was an undertaker so it was simple for him.

I'm frame building for the first time ever. It appears this is a task that I am incredibly slow at.
You will get quicker when you've made a few hundred.

Latest posts

Back