What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question about underfloor entrances which I plan to make. I have maisemore poly hives which are bottom bee space, the bottom has a raised lip all the way round. All the info I read on underfloor entrances or bottom bee space don’t include this and the bottom is completely flat. I’m thinking I should replicate the space as much as possible and add a rim around the base, any more knowledgeable people able to help answer which I should do? Does it even matter?

I have a question about underfloor entrances which I plan to make. I have maisemore poly hives which are bottom bee space, the bottom has a raised lip all the way round. All the info I read on underfloor entrances or bottom bee space don’t include this and the bottom is completely flat. I’m thinking I should replicate the space as much as possible and add a rim around the base, any more knowledgeable people able to help answer which I should do? Does it even matter?
If the box is a bottom bee spaced one then a flat floor would be usual. You might add a 9mm high rim if you were using a top bee spaced box because the frames would be sitting on the floor if you didn't . Does the underside rim of a maisemore box have a rebate to receive the lip you mentioned ?

I'd fit a rim regardless, helps avoid any issues with burr comb and squashed bees.

If the box is a bottom bee spaced one then a flat floor would be usual. You might add a 9mm high rim if you were using a top bee spaced box because the frames would be sitting on the floor if you didn't . Does the underside rim of a maisemore box have a rebate to receive the lip you mentioned ?
No it’s completely flat, just the bottom board has raised edges

No it’s completely flat, just the bottom board has raised edges
Have you read this older thread/post ? some thoughtful discussion points in it. I don't think it makes a lot of difference, you can compare the existing height of the rim and bottom of frames to floor distance with the thoughts of others with the benefit of time now. As a point of interest, when I make long hive up the distance from bottom of frames to the floor varies according to what wood I have scavenged. one is nearly 80mm (3inches) never had burr comb - BUT I do use very deep frames(dadant size turned on end). I expect the lip is just there to create an entrance space at the front on the maisemore. On an UFE with a bottom bee spaced box I don't believe you need create a rim at all.

Have you read this older thread/post ? some thoughtful discussion points in it. I don't think it makes a lot of difference, you can compare the existing height of the rim and bottom of frames to floor distance with the thoughts of others with the benefit of time now. As a point of interest, when I make long hive up the distance from bottom of frames to the floor varies according to what wood I have scavenged. one is nearly 80mm (3inches) never had burr comb - BUT I do use very deep frames(dadant size turned on end). I expect the lip is just there to create an entrance space at the front on the maisemore. On an UFE with a bottom bee spaced box I don't believe you need create a rim at all.
I did search but had not found that thread, thank you, v interesting, think i’ll pop a rim on the floor!

I have a question about underfloor entrances which I plan to make. I have maisemore poly hives which are bottom bee space, the bottom has a raised lip all the way round. All the info I read on underfloor entrances or bottom bee space don’t include this and the bottom is completely flat. I’m thinking I should replicate the space as much as possible and add a rim around the base,
Add a rim, it's just me who sees no point, with BBS, in making more work and fiddle by adding another, totally unneeded space. Years ago I made an UFE floor for Dani who, as she works TBS hives, just got Stan to add a 10mm bead to the floor.

Other wooden floors for BBS don't have a lip or raised rim so a non issue.
Unless one fiddles and removes the BB from the UFE regularly there shouldn't be an issue with not having a rim. If one has to move the BB for any reason either slide it gently on or remove and replace the BB & UFE as one.

Other wooden floors for BBS don't have a lip or raised rim so a non issue.
Unless one fiddles and removes the BB from the UFE regularly there shouldn't be an issue with not having a rim. If one has to move the BB for any reason either slide it gently on or remove and replace the BB & UFE as one.
A normal OMF floor has a deeper rim, the thickness of the entrance block.

Melted 8kg of wax blocks, from cappings that had previously been through a steamer. Melted over water then filtered through j cloths. Poured into trays so ready to melt back down for a few candle projects. Whilst I was at it, made some tea lights and beeswax melts for Xmas presents

Attachments

• 659A649D-8C73-44D0-8FF0-4B08D220F41C.jpeg
    659A649D-8C73-44D0-8FF0-4B08D220F41C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 9F17E62F-4120-46F3-B884-3F9ACA3FBC1B.jpeg
    9F17E62F-4120-46F3-B884-3F9ACA3FBC1B.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 93D6A2F1-149D-434D-81A5-D8DFFFBFC40F.jpeg
    93D6A2F1-149D-434D-81A5-D8DFFFBFC40F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • F65ADF0C-26EE-4CC2-802D-A56930FA5EBF.jpeg
    F65ADF0C-26EE-4CC2-802D-A56930FA5EBF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Melted 8kg of wax blocks, from cappings that had previously been through a steamer. Melted over water then filtered through j cloths. Poured into trays so ready to melt back down for a few candle projects. Whilst I was at it, made some tea lights and beeswax melts for Xmas presents
Nice natural coloor ....

I can almost smell those pictures, I love the smell of hot beeswax!

I made a load of little skep candles recently for a neighbour who does craft fayres. All lined up in a box, the gorgeous smell and looking like sweets, almost edible.
Got to be one of the best candle moulds, always so popular and not excessive on wax usage.

Latest posts

Back