What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rendered some bits of beeswax I'd been meaning to get on with, in advance of going for a swap tomorrow at the NHS.

And those card tubes will make good for free smoker fuel.

I'd use the cardboard tubes for posting (12oz hex) honey jars in..! -cut to length & with a bit of padding around the jars I reckon they'd be pretty bomb proof.. 👍

I'd use the cardboard tubes for posting (12oz hex) honey jars in..! -cut to length & with a bit of padding around the jars I reckon they'd be pretty bomb proof.. 👍
Making them bomb proof should be relatively easy. Making them Royal Mail proof would something of a rather greater challenge

I've given up hoping to find enough 50mm PIR board to make some beehive cosies. So I bought two 2400 x 1200 sheets of Xtratherm, which cost me an eyewatering £90. From that I've made three full sized and one nuc-box cosy. I designed the lid with an overhang to shed water and doubled its thickness to 100mm by glueing on a piece which also locates and secures it within the four sides of the cosy.

The bees were slightly phased by the sudden arrival of this big chunk of foam on top of them, but they will learn to appreciate the benefits of a sheltered entrance, a warm compartment for fondant and syrup and obviously (to me ;) ) the improved level of insulation within the nest.

I've given up hoping to find enough 50mm PIR board to make some beehive cosies. So I bought two 2400 x 1200 sheets of Xtratherm, which cost me an eyewatering £90. From that I've made three full sized and one nuc-box cosy. I designed the lid with an overhang to shed water and doubled its thickness to 100mm by glueing on a piece which also locates and secures it within the four sides of the cosy.

The bees were slightly phased by the sudden arrival of this big chunk of foam on top of them, but they will learn to appreciate the benefits of a sheltered entrance, a warm compartment for fondant and syrup and obviously (to me ;) ) the improved level of insulation within the nest.
Pictures ?
Make sure you paint them

Two UFE solid floors for the Maisie’s nucs. Thanks Stan

Attachments

• E8DCD73A-A74F-4545-B7A3-09A5D9667B21.jpeg
    E8DCD73A-A74F-4545-B7A3-09A5D9667B21.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 5FC283C3-880B-4009-A355-40B39BDBAE7F.jpeg
    5FC283C3-880B-4009-A355-40B39BDBAE7F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 5EB28A53-C98C-4C9E-A3C8-9F3719E79604.jpeg
    5EB28A53-C98C-4C9E-A3C8-9F3719E79604.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48

I struck it lucky on Monday with a couple of squares, probably get four packers out of them.
Don't see much of it in skips around here, one builder said it was too expensive to waste.

Pictures ?
Make sure you paint them

Images attached. The nuc-sized cosy/sleeve? is awaiting the edges being sealed with 75mm wide aluminium tape. It's butt-jointed with PU sealant as recommended elsewhere on this forum. In fact, I've copied most of the construction detail from some excellent descriptions on the forum, but I've simplified things and maybe not been too precious about precision as some people. I've also sealed the internal corners for extra strength and to remove hidey-holes for creepy-crawlies.
The lids are 25mm wider all round than the sleeve itself in order to allow rain run-off. The inner locating slab is 5mm undersized and will have some sort of draught excluder tape attached to give a friction-fit. Likewise, the sleeves themselves are 5mm oversized and the same arrangement will be made; this allows a good sliding fit over the boxes.

You might notice that I've economised and even managed to use pieces which are stuck together as the lid for the nuc cosy. All the offcuts...and there were very few, have been made to fit around the feeders/fondant to give a total depth on the roof of 150mm of insulation. It definitely works in retaining heat as I could feel the warmth of the syrup when I disassembled thing to take photos. Happy bees (I hope) but definitely a happy beekeeper.

They will be painted.

002 - Copy.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG002 - Copy.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG

Last edited:
Made a small chick(en) run with the girls using salvaged pallet wood and offcuts. Rendered down the heather crop wax as I've finally finished pressing the ruddy stuff (two 10L buckets from one hive).

Attachments

• 20211029_180520.jpg
    20211029_180520.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Those are beautiful!
Aw....thankyou. Stan always moans at my incessant demands for kit wrangling but always comes up with the goods.....bless him
Rendered down the heather crop wax as I've finally finished pressing the ruddy stuff (two 10L buckets from one hive).
That's pretty good. My favourite honey.

Aw....thankyou. Stan always moans at my incessant demands for kit wrangling but always comes up with the goods.....bless him

What tools does he use?

That's pretty good. My favourite honey.

I got lucky really, was only trialing the site. I'll probably put several there next year and it'll either not yield or I'll regret it at processing time!

Back