What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Curly. I'm with you on your venture and very interested on how you get on with the demarees. If you need more inspiration on your expansion venture, check out the hard work of this young bloke in NZ. He's up to 4000 hives now I think. Brilliant.

https://www.naturalnzhoney.co.nz/
https://www.ruralnewsgroup.co.nz/rural-news/rural-management/young-canterbury-bee-man-buzzing
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/fa...eeper-busts-his-arse-to-get-where-he-is-today
Thanks for sharing the link Antipodes.

Over the next week I'm setting stands up for my Mating nucs and mini Mating nucs and moving my colonys I'm going to use for queen rearing and doner colonys.
Im excited and can't wait to try the kieler min nucs and grafting in general.

Over the next week I'm setting stands up for my Mating nucs and mini Mating nucs and moving my colonys I'm going to use for queen rearing and doner colonys.
Im excited and can't wait to try the kieler min nucs and grafting in general.
Exciting times. Let us know how you get on. 😃

Hid from the rain mostly
Knocked up a few dozen deep frames to keep me busy then took delivery of a couple of new barrow wheels so re - wheeled the lightweight bee barrow and started making another bee barrow from an unwanted barrow frame one of my orchard apiary hosts gave me.

Put together an underfloor entrance and made up some "dummy boards" from some scrap insulation board and foil tape for a poly box I bought in anticipation of catching a swarm from someone else's "nearby source"- still waiting, maybe they have practiced swarm prevention/control this year, still I live in hope of something :laughing-smiley-004

Up early and waiting for the day to warm up so knocked up another 'Beebarrow' from a frame I was given last week. You could call it the Mk IV but only because of the plethora of different barrow chassis design out there which then dictates what you can do it, but I have found in most cases a bed footprint capable of holding a single box is the most stable for wheeling, then, depending on how robust the frame is you can probably transport a stack of three or four filled supers. This one will handle four easily. The second one is exceedingly light and transportable but a wee bit 'wobbly.
I have two barrows with a flat bed long enough to take two boxes, but again four filled supers seems to be the optimum payload.

Attachments

• barrow4.jpg
    barrow4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 38
  • barrow3.jpg
    barrow3.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 38
  • barrow.jpg
    barrow.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 38
Up early and waiting for the day to warm up so knocked up another 'Beebarrow' from a frame I was given last week. You could call it the Mk IV but only because of the plethora of different barrow chassis design out there which then dictates what you can do it, but I have found in most cases a bed footprint capable of holding a single box is the most stable for wheeling, then, depending on how robust the frame is you can probably transport a stack of three or four filled supers. This one will handle four easily. The second one is exceedingly light and transportable but a wee bit 'wobbly.
I have two barrows with a flat bed long enough to take two boxes, but again four filled supers seems to be the optimum payload.
Funnily enough ... I have a spare wheelbarrow in the garden where the pan has rotted through and the tubes where the handles go are looking a bit moth eaten ... I feel another project coming on ....

That's pretty good, better than anything with four wheels, for the obvious reasons.

I had to buy a new plastic wheel for my converted barrow as I left it in the back of the car too long, the heat built up and the tyre/tube I assume expanded and shattered the plastic rims to pieces.

I have 3 versions of bee barrows in different apiaries. I find that real "builders" barrows are preferable to the garden type as they don't flex so much under load.
My favourite can take 2 full hives at a time which is useful when moving them to another apiary ( less trips across the field) but I have been known to take 8 full supers but that was along a smooth path!

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 29
I had to buy a new plastic wheel for my converted barrow as I left it in the back of the car too long, the heat built up and the tyre/tube I assume expanded and shattered the plastic rims to pieces.
I now use solid tyres for my barrows. It saves trying to find a pump when the tyre deflates over time!

Just doing little projects to justify my 3d printer. Made a wiring jig; a bit lighter duty than I'd like but I haven't got any thicker ply so for v1 I'm happy, wires definitely more taut.

191178439_232388008221781_4965266167068446952_n.jpg

Also made my own crown of thornes, hopefully, easier found than the boring brown Thornes sell although got two of those already

191653460_502733190877891_6385143669261981609_n.jpg

I have 3 versions of bee barrows in different apiaries. I find that real "builders" barrows are preferable to the garden type as they don't flex so much under load.
My favourite can take 2 full hives at a time which is useful when moving them to another apiary ( less trips across the field) but I have been known to take 8 full supers but that was along a smooth path!
I'm wondering Newbeeneil, how do you lift the hive up onto the barrow? I made a beaut barrow, but don't use it at all now because of that issue.

I'm wondering Newbeeneil, how do you lift the hive up onto the barrow? I made a beaut barrow, but don't use it at all now because of that issue.
My barrow is at the same height as the stands for my hives (approx. 400mm.) If the hives are too heavy I can slide them from the stand to the barrow and it's also a similar height to my van as well.

I've been painting my new Abelo hives. One undercoat, one top coat and camouflage spray to finish! I'm about half way though. The first finished one has just housed one of my nucs at my allotment apiary.

Attachments

• newabels.jpg
    newabels.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • paintedBBs.jpg
    paintedBBs.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • Paintedsupers.jpg
    Paintedsupers.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • FirstAbelo.jpg
    FirstAbelo.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 34
I've been painting my new Abelo hives. One undercoat, one top coat and camouflage spray to finish! I'm about half way though. The first finished one has just housed one of my nucs at my allotment apiary.
Work of Art.

Latest posts

Back