What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lazer digital rev counter arrived from my friend in Corona City by post this morning

My 20 frame radial Thomas spins at 414 rpm max... seems that 200 would be optimum for honey extraction, from the setting on the electronic controller I have retro fitted.

Any other Beekie Beeks out there any ideas on optimum rpm?
Unit cost only £6.80 plus a 9V battery arrived in 4 days!!!!
And is accurate ( tested against clock... 60 rpm!!)

Chons da
Depends on the Honey in the frames - warm / cold / crystallised.
why not convert to flow hives & save all the bother :whistle:

Starting the construction of some new brood boxes. In a break from convention I will be Building the boxes using mitre lock joint. this is langstroth, there is no sensible way to build a national box.🤣

started making my Demeree boards for next year

Starting the construction of some new brood boxes. In a break from convention I will be Building the boxes using mitre lock joint. this is langstroth, there is no sensible way to build a national box.🤣
Commercial brood boxes, which are slightly taller than a standard national use a box joint, loads of surfaces for glue.

Continued the conversion of the Thornes "cover boards" @ £4 each to Demeree boards. Its not the quick win I thought it'd be. What I've saved in cost of board, I lost most in the time to strip and re-do :( Oh well you live and learn. Only 10 more to do then its onto more roofs. Then more brood boxes.

I gave the farm bees their first varroa treatment last week. I am due back there this week for round two. Before I applied the stuff I had to remove another sixteen frames of honey. The rest of last week saw me finally finishing the uncapping and spinning out the last honey. I now have around six gallons to bottle later this week.

finished the demeree boards, decided on more BB's, the roofs can wait.

Made 1kg beeswax/pine resin/jojoba oil shards for beeswax wraps (see pic) - good article in this months BBKA news how to do this.
Then melted over water 8kg wax that I’d previously steam cleaned & filtered it today to make candles
Enough of wax projects for a few days!

Attachments

• E05A3F7A-1B27-4C12-A9EB-0048AD3D917D.jpeg
    E05A3F7A-1B27-4C12-A9EB-0048AD3D917D.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 18
  • A2C84C5E-B5A0-4751-AA1F-A9FA34733CA1.jpeg
    A2C84C5E-B5A0-4751-AA1F-A9FA34733CA1.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 18
  • F1EDAE53-11F3-4BB9-8D2A-8EBFAAC3A119.jpeg
    F1EDAE53-11F3-4BB9-8D2A-8EBFAAC3A119.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 18
Made 1kg beeswax/pine resin/jojoba oil shards for beeswax wraps (see pic) - good article in this months BBKA news how to do this.
Then melted over water 8kg wax that I’d previously steam cleaned & filtered it today to make candles
Enough of wax projects for a few days!
I was rendering wax today. I have found that without filtering it, which can be messy and fiddly, it takes four 'water-heatings' to get it almost entirely clean. I have about 3 kg at the moment, that comes from frame-cappings. I will have more soon, after I have sorted my frames out. I bought some candle molds the other week. I read the article about wax wraps as well in the BBKA News. It looks fun!

I was rendering wax today. I have found that without filtering it, which can be messy and fiddly, it takes four 'water-heatings' to get it almost entirely clean. I have about 3 kg at the moment, that comes from frame-cappings. I will have more soon, after I have sorted my frames out. I bought some candle molds the other week. I read the article about wax wraps as well in the BBKA News. It looks fun!
Makes you appreciate the value of home made crafts doesn’t it! So much work involved but good to recycle and appreciate the wonderful product made by the bees

Makes you appreciate the value of home made crafts doesn’t it! So much work involved but good to recycle and appreciate the wonderful product made by the bees
You're right.....though I am always in danger of over-stretching myself. I like the idea of wax wraps, but it involves adding another tier to my activities. I have the 'traditional' beekeeping based Christmas card to design and produce yet! Last years is below.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 41
You're right.....though I am always in danger of over-stretching myself. I like the idea of wax wraps, but it involves adding another tier to my activities. I have the 'traditional' beekeeping based Christmas card to design and produce yet! Last years is below.
What a beautiful card! You should sell them too.
I’ve got an idea of adding a Santa hat to my favourite bee photo - just got to work out how to do it!

Latest posts

Back