What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following extraction and while setting up to run the honey from the extractor through a double filter it occurred to me that during a previous session a fly entered the work room and flew through the annular gap into the honey bucket.
I'm thinking how much better it would be if plastic/stainless steel disc with an off centre aperture sized to support the fine mesh part of the filter (say about 400mm dia) was produced instead of the extendable support arms.
Cut a hole in a lid

Very nice.
May I suggest a cord or bungee from the back of the tipper to the top of the bucket, to prevent toppling?

Won't work for bottling the stuff though.
I must admit though I don't see the need for a tilting stand. I just made a wooden box slightly taller than a 1lb squat jar that the bottling tank sits on. a wooden spoon placed underneath the back of the bucket tilts it far enough for pouring

Won't work for bottling the stuff though.
I must admit though I don't see the need for a tilting stand. I just made a wooden box slightly taller than a 1lb squat jar that the bottling tank sits on. a wooden spoon placed underneath the back of the bucket tilts it far enough for pouring
Fair comment. Hubby enjoyed making though!

Made a second vaping tray to fit Maisey's comrcl poly nuc as I need to speed the process up.
Sprayed the brood frames against Wax Moth.

I bought a Logar 50kg honey tank recently with dims of 310mm dia and 500mm high making it a bit awkward for warming, so had to make a honey warmer.
First I made a base with 3"x2" stand-offs for the tank to sit on and then cut holes in the base insulation for these to come through. Using 50mm insulation I made the box and lid. The lid holds all the heating, fan and temp controller and simply becomes a hot box where the fan blows the warmed air down one side of the tank, underneath and up the other side and back into the heater port. The temp will be controlled by a STC1000 (on the way) with the sensor protruding from the lid into the tank area. I've been experimenting with a reptile heater controller already going up to 35c and it looks promising. My heat source is an IR 100w bulb usually used for reptiles or an incubator.

Logar50kg.jpeg HoneyWarmer.jpeg

Last edited:
I always have an insectocuter in my honey house as well as an extraction fan .this makes sure that insects including bees and wasps hover in a cloud in the slip stream . My honey house it insect proof , I never get a much as an ant in there !

Put together the new Thrones Electro Pneumatic honey bottling and automatic weighing machine... far more compact than the volumetric one we have ( have sourced a weighing machine with a controlled contactless output to modify the volumetric plunger to weight rather than volume, which will solve the different SG of the honey!.... just have to gigure out which eletronc relay interface to use)

Chons da

Let us know how the Thornes machine performs as I was very tempted at the start of this season but couldn't justify it with the small batches I do at the moment!

Four more hives bought in the thornes sale. All put together today ready for paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG-20200926-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20200926-WA0003.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Lazer digital rev counter arrived from my friend in Corona City by post this morning

My 20 frame radial Thomas spins at 414 rpm max... seems that 200 would be optimum for honey extraction, from the setting on the electronic controller I have retro fitted.

Any other Beekie Beeks out there any ideas on optimum rpm?
Unit cost only £6.80 plus a 9V battery arrived in 4 days!!!!
And is accurate ( tested against clock... 60 rpm!!)

Chons da

Lazer digital rev counter arrived from my friend in Corona City by post this morning

My 20 frame radial Thomas spins at 414 rpm max... seems that 200 would be optimum for honey extraction, from the setting on the electronic controller I have retro fitted.
Any other Beekie Beeks out there any ideas on optimum rpm?
It depends on the radius of the extractor.

Not done the conversion before but since I've rarely used the old paynes nucs, I decided to change them to eight frame boxes. Paint will need a freshen up.

It depends on the radius of the extractor.
Gravitational force would be greater if radius is increased.
Have not checked the RMP of the 9 frame radial as stripped for cleaning at the moment.
I can see the slide rule will be working overtime!
Chons da

Gravitational force would be greater if radius is increased.
Have not checked the RMP of the 9 frame radial as stripped for cleaning at the moment.
I can see the slide rule will be working overtime!
Chons da
RCF = 1.12 x Radius x (RPM/1,000)2

That's G force (Relative Centrifugal force) = 1.12 X Radius x( RPM /1000) squared

Probably a "BBKA Module" question!!!!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back