What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I acquired two full sheets of insulation board .. 1200 x 2400 - sadly only 25mm thick but - not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and as Storm Dennis was a bit too menacing for any outside jobs I set to and cut the board for some insulation for my spare kit. I taped two or three pieces together to give me bith 50mm blocks and 75mm blocks.

Did a proper job this time and taped all the edges up to keep any critters out.

I usually have a super with at least 50mm of insulation board (Kingspan/Celpotex) etc on top of my hives above the crownboard. I sometimes find it a bit awkward getting the insulation out in order to look through the clear crownboards. I've tried bits of string looped through, things taped to the insulation but they always either cut through or the foil face pulls of the insulation so ..

This time .. I bored a recess into the insulation with a forstner bit, cut a piece of dowel to fit the recess and then drilled a couple of holes in the dowel and threaded a cable tie through it and up through the centre of the insulation board to form a loop.

I think this might work. I should just be able to pull the insulation out of the super using the loop of cable tie without it pulling through. Time will tell.

I've still one complete board left which is destined for a new solar wax melter as my old one is getting a bit weatherbeaten and the wall paper steamer did not do it a lot of good last year when there was not enough sun to melt the wax.

Attachments

• Insulation 1.jpg
    Insulation 1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 101
  • insulation 2.jpg
    insulation 2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Insulation 3.jpg
    Insulation 3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Insulation 4jpg.jpg
    Insulation 4jpg.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Insulation 6.jpg
    Insulation 6.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
The heater in my warming cabinet failed.
It was a low power hair drier linked to a thermostat.
Replaced with a cheap one from Asda.
I now need to adjust my thermostat.

Ordered new thicknesser blades, old ones might be beyond repair

Attachments

• thicknesser.jpg
    thicknesser.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 65
nothing a belt sander cant fix it seems
anyone knows where to find fairly cheap and small drum sander thicknesser?
I got a ton of reclaimed indian ironwood and it beats the hell out of regular one

Attachments

• thicknesserr.jpg
    thicknesserr.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 51
Knocked up a 14x12 nuc box to take care of any swarm control on my new clients hives.

I have been painting some mini mating hives :)

y4mjcBzmHPSoG9jRXzRUwi2WSA4W6j9avY4hm_A-0Jqg-QLiYczT4MPuSXLqJSdFOAg3U2JiLwmK0hIbkGAv7OdkRxZNlh0m-Tkzs7ROjClwyBhU4ixpcqrqgTXs5JP5A_b6E4TqhR-B5qdqC4vVl3KQhL2k2B4a3khTw2yKVarWv6K3HDZXIEGPQ4d4jvMfYXhyUPFxUec5kq79LvdQYGAww

Just finished my last batch of frames 700 of them things made , I now hate assembling frames...
Next job making a batch of crown boards for hives and nucs
Season prep nearly over

Been meaning to do it for last few years. Each year I put a few bait hives on the sloping shed roofs on my allotment. Usually I just level them up with blocks of wood or bricks, but inevitably they slide. Just made up three angled stands. Just scratching about for bee jobs until I can do my first inspection

Made 6 Comrcl BB's and 20 floors this pm.

Another load of BB's and now started on the Supers.....

Spent an hour repairing my smoker ! The inner container had disintegrated. So I used a tin lid to repair the base !
It won’t last too long . The material it is made off is thin but a sharp HS drill wouldn’t touch it !
I had to use a tile / glass drill !
9f0f74c3120dbdcf0ecb13c8fb31edf5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Knocked up a couple of OMF's with UFE today to replace my old ones.
Also finished off my incubator. It's an insulated and 12v heated 3 frame nuc that can be used to carry frames of brood or incubate queen cells.
I can plug it into the 12v supply in the van for transport or use a 12v supply in my shed.

With too much time on my hands and trying to keep out of the way of SWMBO I spent today in my shed knocking up 3 hive stands, 4 UFE floors and a bait hive!
I can't carry on like this or I'll have to get more bees to use all the kit!!

Latest posts

Back