What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could put a small mesh square in the roof and spray water in every now and again. Instead of water you could try putting a fan blowing the warm air away from the mesh opening

M

Now adapted (with jigsaw not chainsaw) to have a hole in lid. I've put mesh inside (to keep bees in) and spare QE outside (to keep fingers out). Hopefully. with some water, some shade and not too long inside, it'll be interesting, not fatal.

Thanks - the first outing is next weekend, so I'll see how I get on. If they get too hot, I'll just unlock it and let them fly home... if only I hadn't clipped the queen :) .

Last edited:
just finished making a pair of nucs, cost £0, paint from recycling center, wood off cut from a carpentry shop and roof covers are old door kick plates, I did buy the screws

Went in to the workshop to get something, lots of loud buzzing, turned round to see this. I only had a (useless) phone with me, but apparently some bumble bees don't mate on the wing (they appear to prefer a the handle of a 40 year old wire fence strainer).

I thought that the male was dead - he was hanging on by his unmentionables, but then he suddenly came back to life and buzzed for a bit, then collapsed back again. This happened a couple of times and then he flew off, apparantly unharmed, as did his lady...

just finished making a pair of nucs, cost £0, paint from recycling center, wood off cut from a carpentry shop and roof covers are old door kick plates, I did buy the screws

Love 'em.... I just like it when you can make things that work without costing the earth - lovely job.

I'll be a pedant Paul!
The metal on the roofs would have been better folded t'other way to avoid that moisture trap :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like to see the bottoms,did you use mesh?(Redwood)

Last edited:

Look really good - like the entrance reducer / closer too.

put in 12 charged apidea's to keep cool until thurs when will let em loose!!

Confined myself to the shed this afternoon - finished off four supers that I'd cramped up yesterday then started making two more roofs in readiness of a (ahem) delivery of roof metals, found out I was a little short of ply to finish (some old stuff I had earmarked not quite big enough). So will have to raid next door neighbour's shed tomorrow. Did a stock take of the remaining flat packs that I found in the far corner and I've got a few too many brood boxes there (have to get some more bees to fill them I suppose - shame to see them sat there gathering dust :D)

Finished a couple of roofs. Went down to see my friend Dai Bits and pieces who planed down some timber for me to make six of my favoured under floor entrance OMF floors.Now all ready for Ronsealing:
Finished a few modifications for the honey warming cabinet (photos and report to follow)
And considered my next project - the WBC is supposed to be a garden ornament and not a bad buy for £30.00 , but with all the boxes present - who knows........
And that sheet of Kingspan - a bit damaged so persuaded the lad in the builders yard to sell it for a couple of quid!

Not a bad days work for a cripple :biggrinjester:

Nice work, JBM

And it seems a waste just to leave a hive empty in these bee-unfriendly times.

I think you have a civic and theological duty to resurrect that WBC.

Dusty

And if a swarm of bees just happens to move in - it's not my fault is it?

Back