What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what you going to treat them with pete? I use linseed and brush but with the amount of boxes im doing this year i need something quicker.

looking good pete.how many are you planning on expanding to this year?
i made another ten floors last week and cut the wood for another fifteen brood boxes today.just another fifteen roofs and i will have 45 hives.i wish i had money to get some in the sale but what i had went on frames and some bits and bobs.

So far all my stuff has had 2 / 3 coats of Ronseal green 'ducksback' applied by brush which is slow going with so many. I have 60 supers to make up next so I have been wondering if it would spray, if not I will try and rope the wife in and just set up a line of them across the lawn and start one end........... using the 2'' brush.
The 'broods' need finishing yet, bit of filler, few nots to sort and a sand down.
Will get that done in the evenings this week except the sanding which I will wait till I can do it outside............ made a right mess in the garage last time.

Pete D

You did them all in a day! Do you have any free days, as I have a few to put together, but I was thinking that mine would take all season to put together...

looking good pete.how many are you planning on expanding to this year?
i made another ten floors last week and cut the wood for another fifteen brood boxes today.just another fifteen roofs and i will have 45 hives.i wish i had money to get some in the sale but what i had went on frames and some bits and bobs.

Hi Protheroe, not really planning on expanding. Got up to 32 boxes with bees in last year which was plenty, my aim was 10 good stong colonies and a few nuc's. My current 19 will be abou 8 - 12 come spring with unites. I would like to have 10 good honey hives and a few from which to make splits from.
The broods are really in place of nuc's and to help with swarm control, also will weedle out a few old ones and ply ones I have over the summer.
I got a few frames too make too !

Pete D

I bought some stuff in the sale, enough to make up two nationals with supers, for my first hives, and I was wondering if small splits and cracks should be filled, and if so what with? Is normal wood filler ok for bees?

They are cedar, should I be sanding and coating them? I was under the impression that cedar can be used as-is.

I wont be constructing mine for a few months yet, too much else to do, but now seems a good time to ask as everyone else is doing theirs!

You did them all in a day! Do you have any free days, as I have a few to put together, but I was thinking that mine would take all season to put together...

Hi Brian
No not all in a day, did 4 one night in the week and a few another evening, couple of hours yesterday and 4 hours today. About 10 hours in total.
Got a good system that I work too now which seems to work well. To be honest its just me on my bench and I try to allow half hour for each one which isnt quick I dont think, but bear in mind 20 of these were 3rds and needed a little fettle along the way. Had the glue pot on the heater today which speeded things up. I must of checked for squareness about 200 times ! and every time I knocked a nail in I smiled at Rabs wise words of 'on the tosh' !
By the time I have filled, sanded and painted them I guess its about an hour and half a box so not exactly cost effective.

Pete D

I bought some stuff in the sale, enough to make up two nationals with supers, for my first hives, and I was wondering if small splits and cracks should be filled, and if so what with? Is normal wood filler ok for bees?

They are cedar, should I be sanding and coating them? I was under the impression that cedar can be used as-is.

I wont be constructing mine for a few months yet, too much else to do, but now seems a good time to ask as everyone else is doing theirs!

Small splits and cracks I filled with waterproof wood glue. Anything bigger I use exterior wood filler.
They would be fine left natural but I started painting mine last year and liked the look so decided it would be 'my colour' and now they are all getting it.
If storing keep them flat and dry, they probably wont 'move' but I had a few bent boards in mine already being 3rds so wanted to crack on with them.
Pete D

If they have any sapwood, as many seconds do, then they will need treating to prevent rot, if all heartwood, then no treatment needed really,unless for cosmetic purposes.

Small splits and cracks I filled with waterproof wood glue. Anything bigger I use exterior wood filler.
They would be fine left natural but I started painting mine last year and liked the look so decided it would be 'my colour' and now they are all getting it.
If storing keep them flat and dry, they probably wont 'move' but I had a few bent boards in mine already being 3rds so wanted to crack on with them.
Pete D

Thanks, I will get some filler. I tried to repack them as well as they arrived but whoever packed them must have been a genius! They are indoors so hopefully will be ok but the room they are in does suffer from damp. I will keep an eye on them.

If they have any sapwood, as many seconds do, then they will need treating to prevent rot, if all heartwood, then no treatment needed really,unless for cosmetic purposes.

Thanks, glad I asked. Not had the packets apart yet but good chance they have sapwood. Do I only need to treat the exterior faces? Will linseed oil and no sanding be ok? Or should I sand and paint? Or sand and oil even?!

Pete, check out Gorilla Glue, it's a glue and filler all in one and works best on damp or wet wood, plus poly, metal, glass and a few other things...

Modified some pallets to make ready for strapping hives onto for an optimistic OSR crop. :drool5:

Did a bit of stock rotation in preparation of an imminent T's delivery...:leaving:

I think I need an extension on my garage.

These cold dark nights do not help with paint drying!!

Nothing.

Too cold.
Tomorrow I will also do nothing again.
Might see I am am brave enough to bring the workmate indoors and put some frames together , although due to the fact that I have a 4ft R/C boat on the workmate, it might be easier to go and buy another one.

Pete, check out Gorilla Glue, it's a glue and filler all in one and works best on damp or wet wood, plus poly, metal, glass and a few other things...

I take it that you agree that it is as good as the ads say then?

Spent all day yesterday wiring 14 x 12 frames and this morning finishing off the last batch.
This afternoon it's back to inserting the eyelets for the next batch.

Spent all day yesterday wiring 14 x 12 frames and this morning finishing off the last batch.
This afternoon it's back to inserting the eyelets for the next batch.

Aw Tim, you know how to live...;)

Back