What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleared 35lbs of honey from two supers as the cafe I supply to has run out. Nice golden colour with floral notes and at 18.5%

Checked on the hive with CBPV and cleaned the hive floor. A lot less dead bees. Removed wasp guard so the entrance doesn't get clogged up, added a super above the BB for more space and knocked down a couple of charged EQCs. If too late for re-queening, I have a spare in a nuc I can use.
Will clean the floor again in a couple of days to see if it's making a difference and keep my fingers crossed.
You've nothing to lose, just remove the floor of the CBPV hive and sit the brood box on an empty shallow

Checked for a laying queen in a colony now that the mad rush of the flow has slowed down. After a couple of fully capped honey frames I came across a lovely pattern of sealed brood so all good.
The super added to a very busy colony last time has been filled and they are beginning to cap three centre frames so I think they'll finish it.

Just popped down the garden and have seen three out four wasps going into one of our weaker hives, will go in tomorrow and see what's going on. Was going to leave any inspections until the weather cooled down but I'm going to check on them

Stan looked in today.
One capped queen cell which he took down, young larvae and eggs but couldn’t spot the queen.
Oh well. We shall see day after tomorrow
Yes I did the same, but no queen so united a good Nuc to it & she’s doing well. It’s that time in the season when it starts to feel risky with supersedure though I have had the odd good one that way. Good luck when you get home

Took 2 colonies up to the moor. These were 2 overly defensive colonies that I brought home to sort out & requeened from my queen rearing. Been a long old process but gentle and nice to handle now. Checked in on them later in the afternoon, had settled in, flying furiously and collecting heather pollen. Did see the odd one with a small spot of balsam on its back so they’ve found a source of that nearby.

Attachments

• 517559D2-467F-4230-9E17-DA0966EBFAC1.jpeg
    517559D2-467F-4230-9E17-DA0966EBFAC1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2EFCB0C8-193E-4755-84E8-49E946333468.jpeg
    2EFCB0C8-193E-4755-84E8-49E946333468.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 56A45891-3C63-48D9-B7F5-8AF479465378.jpeg
    56A45891-3C63-48D9-B7F5-8AF479465378.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
when I was buying it he said that a little while previously someone had stolen his hat off the peg in the pub, it was well over ten years old and he was gutted - he said that's the age they become more desirable and tend to get stolen.
My made to order Veldtschoen shoes are almost as old and whenever I take them to the cobblers for a 'service' his eyes light up and he says 'ah, proper shoes for a change!'
Ya fellies are leka.

Has everyone started to extract ?
I am, almost literally, up to my knees in honey this year! I've had well over 90kg of honey from my best hive. As I type, it's with my legs twisted to the side, to avoid the 5 buckets under my desk. There's another 5 that have been in the dining room for 2 weeks - each day I expect the final demand to move them - although I have no idea where I can find to tuck any more buckets away in the house!! I'm avoiding extracting the last few supers. Anyone got any good tips on where they store honey?

Funniest call out ever. Lady thought she had bees under her roof as she kept hearing a loud buzz. It turned out ( i believe) to be a faulty seal on her double glazing, acting as a Reed in a wind instrument . No evidence of any bees whatsoever. Mercifully it was only 3 minutes away

I am, almost literally, up to my knees in honey this year! I've had well over 90kg of honey from my best hive. As I type, it's with my legs twisted to the side, to avoid the 5 buckets under my desk. There's another 5 that have been in the dining room for 2 weeks - each day I expect the final demand to move them - although I have no idea where I can find to tuck any more buckets away in the house!! I'm avoiding extracting the last few supers. Anyone got any good tips on where they store honey?
My daughters' playhouse.

Im quite willing to send a courier round to take it off your hands - just say the word :D

Had a quick inspection of the hive we thought was over run with wasps but thankfully only found one stuck in the queen excluder with bees on it. Very small colony but dropped the qx above the brood box as they were on a brood and a half, in prep for the apiguard. Three left to sort ready for treating the end of this week hopefully.

Just been out to look at a possible out apiary location. Not a bad site other than possibly being a bit of a frost pocket in the winter. Easy access and a nice flat area not far from a stream where there was lots of Himalayan Balsam evident (the owner removes it from his land, but the neighbour appears not to). It's also more than three miles from any of my other sites which is very helpful. I'm tempted to take a bait hive down in case there are any late swarms, otherwise I definitely think it'll be a good one for next season.

James

Final extraction from my bees: honey tastes of lime! (rained when they flowered)
Pity weather was so poor.
We have had enough rain to fill my 210 litre greenhouse water barrel in two weeks but digging holes for fence posts, the clay 30cms under the surface is nearly bone dry. (and rather hard)

Final extraction from my bees: honey tastes of lime! (rained when they flowered)
Pity weather was so poor.
We have had enough rain to fill my 210 litre greenhouse water barrel in two weeks but digging holes for fence posts, the clay 30cms under the surface is nearly bone dry. (and rather hard)
Rain? What’s that??

Latest posts

Back