What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extracted 300lb this morning and was a bit worried the local hives had found a route into my extraction room so I sealed the door with gaffer tape when I left!
Jarred 100lb this evening and just as I was finishing I was visited by a Vespa Crabo.... beautiful thing. Trapped him in a jar to study him then released him into the darkness.

Edit. Just had to evict him again! Ten minutes after his first incursion.

Update! Just evicted him again from the upstairs bathroom!

Last edited:
I haven’t seen one at all this year. Usually see them daily through the Summer, but there are loads of wasps.

Saw my first hornet a couple of weeks ago. I was out running and felt something in my hair - brushed it out with my hand, and a beautiful hornet was deposited onto a nearby bush. Don't know which of us was more surprised!

From the other week, non HSE approved removal of hive from tree in my garden. Could have gone better...

View attachment 33197
Classic
I was waiting for Beadle to appear

I can't ever match that but I kicked the smoker over this morning in long dry grass.I panicked and trying to rake up the embers in marigolds found I was kneeling on it.
It's now left handed which is pretty cool, save for the fact that I'm not.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so prosaic and return to boring talk about what I did in the apiary today. I found one colony out of about 20 which had queen cells. This was a swarm from a bait hive. They've built up well, have had double brood though there's little brood in the top box now, and
had plenty room. There were 14 qcs, all but one sealed. The queen is there, laying strongly - unlike some colonies which are having a brood break. So, supersedure, I guess, though I have to ask, isn't this an unusually large number of cells?

Okay, thanks. You hear so much that the swarm will have left if you find sealed qcs, but I've found this not to be the case several times this season.
Yes that’s fairly common. So common that it can be counted as normal. Swarms can be kept in by the weather. They can leave well before QCs are capped too. Most teaching is that queens stop laying in preparation for swarming. That’s not true either. Yes the queen is chased about and fed less to slim her down a little to fly but she keeps laying till the bees push her out of the hive.

Latest posts

Back