What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotted this very tiny bee during inspections yesterday, any ideas!?

Couldn’t see any others and colony is otherwise healthy, just this one little lady.

On the bottom frame, way smaller than her sisters, never noticed anything like it before.

95718DC0-3002-4AF9-BF81-C96810010AF7.jpeg

What’s the varroa situation?
Good point - they were treated by OA vape in autumn. No signs of DWV, but assume mites are ever present. What are you thinking, mite feeding on the larvae, stunting growth? I can pop the inspection board in and see what the drop is like?

Don't think I shall be going swimming today. Not sure my goggles will fit...

swollen-eye-01.jpg

James

Had a first proper look at my little swarm from last weekend - they've drawn 3 frames and are starting on a 4th, and there's a big beautiful queen and brood 😍. Leaving them in the nuc for now.

The other hives are surprisingly low on capped stores, considering they're absolutely surrounded by fields of clover. We've had rain, and they do have nectar coming in, but not much capped. I'll be keeping a close eye on it, but really hoping not to have to feed in the middle of July.

Blummin' bees absconded and are back on the corner of the shed this morning. Attempt #2, this time with a frame of BIAS in the box.
Checked up on them, mostly to see if they're still there... they are and the queen's laying. I assumed it was a cast due to the size of the swarm, barely 2 (14x12) seams of bees, but it seems a bit fast for a virgin to be mated and laying already. Perhaps It was a cast and they were bivouacked elsewhere for a couple of days before arriving on my shed - the queen looks young, still quite fuzzy. Marked the queen yellow anyway.

Shuffled super frames around in one hive so the top super (of 3) is fully capped. Not decided whether to pull it and condense the bees, pull it and replace with an undrawn super, or be patient and do a single harvest at the end of the season - patience isn't my strong suit.

it seems a bit fast for a virgin to be mated and laying already
They can mate pretty quick. I picked up a swarm on the 13th of June (definitely a cast as the prime swarm was seen exiting the hollow tree about ten days previously) and it is already in a full hive with seven frames of brood.

Good point - they were treated by OA vape in autumn. No signs of DWV, but assume mites are ever present. What are you thinking, mite feeding on the larvae, stunting growth? I can pop the inspection board in and see what the drop is like?
Won’t do any harm. Take the supers off, vape and measure the 24 hour drop. Or do a sugar roll.

Ouch what happened dare I ask!!!

That's from the sting I received when a bee from my nasty colony managed to sneak inside my veil on Tuesday. Caught me on the left temple. Yesterday it wasn't quite as bad, but this morning it was sufficiently swollen that I really couldn't see properly out of that eye. Fortunately it's completely painless.

James

That's from the sting I received when a bee from my nasty colony managed to sneak inside my veil on Tuesday. Caught me on the left temple. Yesterday it wasn't quite as bad, but this morning it was sufficiently swollen that I really couldn't see properly out of that eye. Fortunately it's completely painless.

James
Ooooooooooooooooo nasty

Checked on a queen that I had transferred to a stubbornly q- colony over the weekend. The bees had released her from the press-in cage by burrowing in through the corner. Saw her strutting her stuff, pump and well attended. Has laid up half a brood frame. Very pleased 😀.
Other colonies doing well. The nectar dearth doesn’t seem to be a problem here. It was dripping from the frames. Feeling very fortunate.

Today I did nothing, definitely :( down hearted as I had planned to visit the farm apiary but with heavy fog and 12 degrees at midday decided not to. Now the wind is coming up but I still cant see the ocean that is only 1km from my house and yesterday for the second time this week the central heating came on as it was was only 15 degrees in the house. Think this may be one of those years that brings zero harvest where I am.

It's miserable, isn't it? One of the worst summers for a while up here, just never-ending wind and grey, grey skies 😔

It was like that here last year. A long, long, grey Summer :( Quite depressing. It's looking better so far this year, but I won't count on anything weather-wise these days.

James

Introduced some queens to persistently Q- hives, cursed as a nuc is making swarm preps and my big grumpy one seems to have swarmed despite intervention last week. At least it makes changing the queen easier as she'd been impossible to find (the penultimate unfindable this year).

Planning to move three to the heather later but for some reason SWMBO not going to be back from work until 21:00 which is a PITA.

Latest posts

Back