What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a self charging hybrid (which to me makes sense in terms of conserving power and efficiency) but basically was only electric if coasting and the battery depleted very rapidly so felt like a box ticking thing to look green and reduce tax liability than actually being properly green. I have quite an efficient driving style based on the fuel economy in my Jazz but still had to work to get it going electric. Plus thinking about the carbon impact of all the cool tech and plastic in there- I don't need to create a need for that. Just made me feel very conflicted.
I agree, when I bought my hybrid I assumed it would use more battery, but it only uses it when you are using very low revs.

It was a self charging hybrid (which to me makes sense in terms of conserving power and efficiency) but basically was only electric if coasting and the battery depleted very rapidly so felt like a box ticking thing to look green and reduce tax liability than actually being properly green. I have quite an efficient driving style based on the fuel economy in my Jazz but still had to work to get it going electric. Plus thinking about the carbon impact of all the cool tech and plastic in there- I don't need to create a need for that. Just made me feel very conflicted.
A colleague of mine has had a self charging hybrid for a few years now and he can't sing its praises enough. travelled to Birmingham in it with him and found it very economical (and quiet)

Checked most hives. Wanted to move some of them but car was in for service and didn't dare risk putting hives/propolis inside the courtesy car they gave me, which started with 11 miles on the clock and was VERY swish.

I also had a revelation as to why so many people in shiny new big cars can't drive considerately especially on country lanes - proximity sensors beep at you even when there's bags of space.

Will be interested to see how well self driving cars work when meeting head to head on a narrow country lane (when they become a thing). Also disillusioned by the hybrid eco thing, felt a bit of a con really when driving.

Need to find time to assemble more boxes and frames but looks unlikely for a while. Also forgot to order some bits in the sale. Fail.
Drivers of the new all singing and dancing Honda Jazz complain about the Lane Departure warning system in narrow lanes. Far too sensitive. And can be switched off - but three screens and every time you drive - no permanent off switch. It takes over the steering if it thinks you are wrong.

Drivers of the new all singing and dancing Honda Jazz complain about the Lane Departure warning system in narrow lanes. Far too sensitive. And can be switched off - but three screens and every time you drive - no permanent off switch. It takes over the steering if it thinks you are wrong.
I like old buttons and handles. Like a proper hand brake. All the electric gadgets are cool but they worry me. Checked one in the showroom and couldn't open the boot!

I like old buttons and handles. Like a proper hand brake. All the electric gadgets are cool but they worry me. Checked one in the showroom and couldn't open the boot!
Yes. Stan and I had a new car ordered which came with an automatic handbrake. My head couldn’t cope with that so we abandoned the purchase.

It's getting crazier all the time. Even on my thirteen year old Fiesta, to open the boot manually the boot handle just works a switch wired to the "Body Control Module" that in turn operates the (electric) locking mechanism. So many places for something to go wrong, which in my case it has. Fortunately the boot still opens using the key fob. If it fails completely I think it can be necessary to remove the boot hatch lining from the inside to get at the mechanism which I imagine is a joy in a car that size.

(Somewhere the electronics have also decided that the boot sometimes isn't shut properly, even when it is. It tells me this and sounds an alarm every thirty seconds or so until it decides that the boot is actually closed. Or, if the car is locked, it just sets the alarm off.)

James

Many of the VWG latest models are the same. When I retired I bought a Skoda Kamiq and it regularly warns me to “take over steering and drive in the centre of the lane” and it gives a shake of the steering wheel to wake me up. Trouble is the radar gets confused on country roads without clearly designated lanes. Like the Honda, I have to turn it off via the “infotainment system” every trip - or just put up with it.

"Daaaad, there are lots of bees in the garden"
Bollocks...
Hasty check through my colonies, all queens still present. Phew.

IMG_20220701_162650.jpg

Stuck a nuc box on the roof and let them stroll in... hopefully
IMG_20220701_164303.jpg

Well I assume they'll go in... they're still largely clustered on the front.

"Daaaad, there are lots of bees in the garden"
Bollocks...
Hasty check through my colonies, all queens still present. Phew.

View attachment 32657

Stuck a nuc box on the roof and let them stroll in... hopefully
View attachment 32658

Well I assume they'll go in... they're still largely clustered on the front.
Scoop a few handfuls in and see if they start fanning to tell if the queen is in.

Not quite "in" the apiary yet, but my second bait hive to be occupied now has workers bringing in pollen in small amounts for the first time, so I think I can perhaps assume it was a cast and that the queen is now mated.

James

Scoop a few handfuls in and see if they start fanning to tell if the queen is in.

They were 99% on the box, very few left on the shed roof, so I lifted the box carefully down onto a table for ease of access. Scooped a bunch in using a takeaway tub, caught a brief glimpse of the (or a...) queen. Dark, unmarked. After that the rest went in.

Just this minute listened to the lovely hum of bees fanning and drying the nectar. One hive has picked up the habit of bees hoovering the landing board. Noticed it in previous years but no idea why they do it.

One hive has picked up the habit of bees hoovering the landing board. Noticed it in previous years but no idea why they do it.

OCD bees. My mother-in-law is the same. The hoover starts up within thirty seconds of anyone leaving the house. I'm amazed my father-in-law hasn't disappeared yet, to be honest.

James

Got into my AMM swarm I caught early may for a look last night after 14 days. ( Got COVID so wasn't feeling up to checks really ).

The weather was sh#t and their temperament was worse but I opened for a look anyhow.

About 14 queen cells, no eggs or brood below the QE.... But there was a super frame full of brood which puzzled me as the Queen when checked two weeks ago was definitely in the brood box. Swarmy cranky feckers....

Knocked back and cut out all bar one fine queencell and they can sort the rest out themselves. I'll requeen with quieter genetics over the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG20220701172347.jpg
    IMG20220701172347.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
They were 99% on the box, very few left on the shed roof, so I lifted the box carefully down onto a table for ease of access. Scooped a bunch in using a takeaway tub, caught a brief glimpse of the (or a...) queen. Dark, unmarked. After that the rest went in.
Blummin' bees absconded and are back on the corner of the shed this morning. Attempt #2, this time with a frame of BIAS in the box.

The virtue of patience..... my two 3 frame nucs that I was convinced three weeks ago hadn't worked, have two lovely dark queens already laying so i'm moving them into their own 6 frame nucs today. Hurrah!

United two weak National nucs .Ditto Lang nucs.
Added 5 frames foundation to Bait hive swarm.. LOTS of bees and very active as well.
Checked mini mating nucs: 7 out of 8 Q is laying. No Q in 8th. Next batches are for overwintering.
Narrowed any non UFE entrances for wasps which are making an appearance.

Latest posts

Back