What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been gloveless since I started in 2010.
Stings still hurt : and after 5-6 in a session I wear vinyls.
I am immune to the venom but some stings can be very painful: I occasionally drop hive tools on really bad ones..
Annual count runs around 120.
I started gloveless and only wear nitriles now to keep reasonably clean hands. I think my handling without gloves is much more careful tho.

Inspections in the blustery wind. All was well, but more honey consumed than added since last week.

I have been to Croatia four times in the summer. It can be so hot. I cannot imagine wearing a bee-suit when it is like that! A Swienty Breeze suit with nothing worn underneath may be the only answer I think? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
We are still rainless. This morning ( half past 5) I woke to do some job while it isn't too hot ( I IDIOT trusted again as they said it will be 22C in the morning).. Well it was close - it was 29C.. But stubborn as I am.. I didn't quit.. Instead of rain we got storm wind ( lot of fruits and leaves went on the ground).. Like it isn't enough drought as it is, addition of wind to further strike the plants, fruit trees.. We must be a real great sinners for this to happen.. Tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised in addition to droughts and strong winds some Armageddon like fires scorch and don't stop untill they hit the Alps.. This is only logical continuance to me.. Of course on prognosis they say almost every day is some rain at my place ( local shower, storm, heavy showers, storms etc..).
Tomorrow I will go again in the morning, maybe it will be 31C in the morning as comparing how at this moment is scorching ( 37C in a shade), over 40C at the open.. Now we have higher temps inland where I am than on the sea coast. No good, no good..

We are riding a heat wave.. 20ish Celsius night temps.. I am reluctant to jump into suit.. but in few days I must.. This sun is scorching real bad, yesterday I was all day in the field.. Today I was avoiding sun to get some rest.. Drought.. Weather prognosis almost every day say that we have a rain or heavy thunderstorm, but in reality we haven't got any rain more than 10 days.. I am worried for our hazelnuts, but no real use of worry if I am almost powerless..
Are all flying bees worthy?

We are still rainless. This morning ( half past 5) I woke to do some job while it isn't too hot ( I IDIOT trusted again as they said it will be 22C in the morning).. Well it was close - it was 29C.. But stubborn as I am.. I didn't quit.. Instead of rain we got storm wind ( lot of fruits and leaves went on the ground).. Like it isn't enough drought as it is, addition of wind to further strike the plants, fruit trees.. We must be a real great sinners for this to happen.. Tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised in addition to droughts and strong winds some Armageddon like fires scorch and don't stop untill they hit the Alps.. This is only logical continuance to me.. Of course on prognosis they say almost every day is some rain at my place ( local shower, storm, heavy showers, storms etc..).
Tomorrow I will go again in the morning, maybe it will be 31C in the morning as comparing how at this moment is scorching ( 37C in a shade), over 40C at the open.. Now we have higher temps inland where I am than on the sea coast. No good, no good..
There’s lots of weird stuff going on with the weather. Hope it sorts itself out for you Goran.

There’s lots of weird stuff going on with the weather. Hope it sorts itself out for you Goran.
Weather.. maybe we don't deserve better ( what You reap is what You sow). Like with all these weapon rattling around a globe - nuke explosion is certain to me..

This afternoon friend asked me to help him finish packing bees to sunflower forage.. Happy me, getting in bee suit at 37-38C, but luckily in few hours we sorted it out. Now I have too cool and rest before morning.. Still is over 30C temp ( 33-34C)..

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_184926_compress97.jpg
    IMG_20220629_184926_compress97.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220629_190222_compress14.jpg
    IMG_20220629_190222_compress14.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 19
I couldn’t cope with those temperatures, let alone in a bee suit!
I hope tomorrow is an improvement for you.

in addition to droughts and strong winds some Armageddon like fires scorch and don't stop untill they hit the Alps
Yes.....the thunderstorms we have witnessed were the biggest I've ever seen. There were huge fires in the hills during our first visit in about 2013. There were great plumes of smoke and often a smell of burning' even on the beaches. Planes were constantly scooping water up in the bay at Cavtat to quench the flames that could be seen glowing at night.
You have a country of great extremes. I have experienced 40 deg C there. The only other place I've experienced that heat was the Thar Desert in Rajasthan. Even one of our camels fainted then! Yet we were told that there is almost constant rain when the summer is over. I saw film of a storm near Dubrovnik that ripped up boats that were supposedly safely tied up in a harbour. One year there was even snow in the hills above Split we were told.
I keep meaning to go back in the late autumn to see for myself if things are as bad as we were told. I was seriously thinking of relocating there a while back. After seeing many of your posts on here though, I think I have all the confirmation I need! :D

Yes.....the thunderstorms we have witnessed were the biggest I've ever seen. There were huge fires in the hills during our first visit in about 2013. There were great plumes of smoke and often a smell of burning' even on the beaches. Planes were constantly scooping water up in the bay at Cavtat to quench the flames that could be seen glowing at night.
You have a country of great extremes. I have experienced 40 deg C there. The only other place I've experienced that heat was the Thar Desert in Rajasthan. Even one of our camels fainted then! Yet we were told that there is almost constant rain when the summer is over. I saw film of a storm near Dubrovnik that ripped up boats that were supposedly safely tied up in a harbour. One year there was even snow in the hills above Split we were told.
I keep meaning to go back in the late autumn to see for myself if things are as bad as we were told. I was seriously thinking of relocating there a while back. After seeing many of your posts on here though, I think I have all the confirmation I need! :D
After such horrid weather, won't be surprising to see little tornadoes.. We had couple times at my place such. When I was a kid, in a village nearby I saw curtains hanging out between room ceiling and attic floor ( it must lift up and put down the roof).

Latest posts

Back