What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!!!!!!! That's fascinating, what an amazing place to live
Bit draughty though, especially as the roof went when the Yorkists slighted it back in 1462, I live a few miles away on the other side of the mountain 😁

Bit draughty though, especially as the roof went when the Yorkists slighted it back in 1462, I live a few miles away on the other side of the mountain 😁
Yep the other side of the mountain will do just fine for me :)

Is there a tunnel through ? All castles have TUNNELS ... essential castle ware. My local castle as a kid in South Yorkshire was Conisborugh Castle (made famous by Sir Walter Scott) and that one had a tunnel ... My grandad pointed out where the entrance was to me when he took me there ... it had been open at some point and rumours had it connecting to all sorts of places ... although it's unlikely, probably just an escape route.

Is there a tunnel through ? All castles have TUNNELS
Of course there is, and a secret well (Must be over 40 years since I went down that far though). Legend has it it goes all the way to Cennen tower, a lone watchtower about three miles away, the tower was demolished 'for safety' a little before the war I think (my grandfather remembers it) people used to live in it the tower back in the 1800's and my Greatx4 grandfather William ap Arthur used to farm the land around it. Cennen tower was basically a community of commoners cottages back then apart from William's farm, Helgwm (hunter's vale)

fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpgfb4.jpgfb5.jpg

Snow in Manchester, unusual because with wind in east we are in rain shadow of the Pennines and west wind is wet but too warm to snow. It has melted.

Last edited:
No snow here but freezing cold and bitter winds for a few days, today balmy mild and 12 oC+ outside.

Checked the inspection boards after being on for a day and definite brood cappings with quite a few dropped varroa on one hive. Hopefully the OA treatment if they are ever broodless will sort it out. Bringing in almost white pollen.

Bringing in almost white pollen.
There is clover and some ivy in sheltered areas still flowering. On the domestic front Choisya and other 'foreign' plants are still flowering.

Attachments

• Flowerssnow (2).jpg
    Flowerssnow (2).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Flowerssnow (3).jpg
    Flowerssnow (3).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Of course there is, and a secret well (Must be over 40 years since I went down that far though). Legend has it it goes all the way to Cennen tower, a lone watchtower about three miles away, the tower was demolished 'for safety' a little before the war I think (my grandfather remembers it) people used to live in it the tower back in the 1800's and my Greatx4 grandfather William ap Arthur used to farm the land around it. Cennen tower was basically a community of commoners cottages back then apart from William's farm, Helgwm (hunter's vale)

View attachment 29293View attachment 29294View attachment 29295View attachment 29296View attachment 29297
Howden church is allegedly connected to Wrestle castle by a secret tunnel. I'm unconvinced this is anything more than a myth as the water table around Howden is less than 4 feet down and the old route of the river Derwent crosses between the two places. I can't see medieval technology being up to creating a watertight tunnel and I can't imagine monks/clergy swimming underwater for miles.

Spent the morning weighing colonys with luggage scales, something I'm doing every two weeks.
8.2 c and some bees flying and collecting water.
Most are broodless by looking at the inspection boards but a few double brood had cappings covering 6 frames.
Im getting prepared to do a trickle treatment in the next week or two.
Haven't the energy to travel upto work to weigh the colonys there today but hopefully will on Monday if I'm feeling upto it.

Bees out collecting water this morning. Hefted the hives, weight starting to drop, one hive dropped 2lb other three not so much. Visited natures little helpers for some frames and foundation. Has some lovely things in the shop as well as being well stocked with equipment and valuable bee advice of course 🐝🐝🐝🐝

Latest posts

Back