What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't really tried eating them, tend to make jam which seems to go down well with people. I put the stones and skins in vodka after too. :)

Err.. if they are plum which I think we have here - we call it locally " Rockery" - " Kamenjara".. Pure rockery schnapps/ rakija is very very very nice.. But due their small size picking last longer.. As mentioned we make also marmalade. At the end - small world?
We also have ones which ripen little earlier than this plum, also round type and yellow, but at least double bigger. Of these we only make schnapps..

Air black and orange with bees coming home with Ivy nectar and Pollen.
yes, they've been piling it in the last few days, not paying much attention to the feeders but hives are putting on a lot of weight.

Err.. if they are plum which I think we have here - we call it locally " Rockery" - " Kamenjara".. Pure rockery schnapps/ rakija is very very very nice.. But due their small size picking last longer.. As mentioned we make also marmalade. At the end - small world?
We also have ones which ripen little earlier than this plum, also round type and yellow, but at least double bigger. Of these we only make schnapps..

I'm struggling to find anything online to compare to be sure if they're the same, will try to get a picture of the tree this weekend. Don't think we have the larger ones here. Always nice to hear about local customs, especially when doing something similar! I think my jam is maybe not far off your marmalade, do you have a recipe?

(Mods sorry if this should be in off topic chat).

Unseasonably mild, but been overcast and damp for last couple of days. Did my last inspections of the year to check stores. All but 4 have plenty. Have some fondant on order from local bakery ( no surprise he is having supply problem) . All hives heaving with bees who are bringing in pollen. All acted as if queen right, but little brood and no eggs seen, despite space to lay. Queen actually seen in a few hives. I guess she has ramped it all down now, albeit possibly a bit early - mind you I have never done a good look through at this time of year before

Ivy in full flow, bees piling in the nectar and pollen, some hives put on 3 Kg in 10 days, no problems for the winter stores.

All feeding stopped except min nucs which I will feed all winter and one hive which refused initially to take feed but is now taking 2 liter per day.

After popping over the range to drop their annual honey 'rent' off and having a long chat with Terry, the RSO, did the last Non treatment rounds of the autumn. Bees were so well behaved I didn't really need even a veil when vaping, the bees are really slowing down the syrup intake now, but still plenty of ivy pollen and nectar coming in.
Just a final round of all apiaries left in a week or so to take off the feeders and batten down for the winter.

Last edited:
It's been a strange year.
Went round another couple of apiaries doing checks before tucking the good hives up for winter.
Opened a hive up and it was roaring like a 747 so united it with the adjacent colony.
Opened another to find it completely robbed out, 2 weeks ago it was a strong colony with brood and stores but seems to have completely collapsed. It's a real pity as they were lovely bees from an early swarm (The ex local SBI's) a pleasure to work with and productive this year. I was hoping to use her genetics next year 😥

Had a former strong colony being robbed as well, lots of wax in front of the underfloor entrance and when I removed the frames the wax was flaky. Dummied it down and removed five frames, queen was present but little in the way of stores so fed this evening and will continue to.

All the other nucs and hives seem a good weight; air was thick was bees today and the smell of ivy was great. Lots of hives fanning.

I'm struggling to find anything online to compare to be sure if they're the same, will try to get a picture of the tree this weekend. Don't think we have the larger ones here. Always nice to hear about local customs, especially when doing something similar! I think my jam is maybe not far off your marmalade, do you have a recipe?

(Mods sorry if this should be in off topic chat).

Recipe.. Destone the plums, put in the caldron and until it become mash/pulp. Take off the flame and remove the skin by passing fruits ( with one tool as for the tomatoes). Return such without skin into caldron and add sugar how it suits You ( try/taste in meantime), longer You cook harder it will be. Have to be cautious, if too long - hard as rock, too short - liquid. Take on a plate in thin layer and leave to cool a bit to see approx how it will be if You remove it from a fire.. My mother is master for it, I am just helper if needed.. So of ingredients only plums and some sugar.

Last edited:
The one day we were promised sunny, turned out to be another cloudy day. Very little flying. Very little flying in the last 2-3 weeks, as cloudy/windy/wet throughout. All colonies down ~1kg since mid Sep. Most got fondant today. Size wise, colonies looking good.

Stood watching the bees work the ivy in the apiary. All the hives have that pungent ivy smell. Topped up one feeder on a lighter colony, the others are getting hard to heft now. For once, the bees and I are reading from the same book 😀.
In my short 5 years with bees I have never seen such quantities of ivy pollen and judging by weight increase nectar too, going into all hives and nucs.

Haven't really tried eating them, tend to make jam which seems to go down well with people. I put the stones and skins in vodka after too. :)
Do you like umeboshi plums? I've salted cherry plums here in the past (as well as making wine with them) and as I enjoyed the salted ones, I've this year salted some little round yellow ones. I don't know what variety they are. Dead easy and the tart salt liquid which forms is useful in cooking as well.

Do you like umeboshi plums? I've salted cherry plums here in the past (as well as making wine with them) and as I enjoyed the salted ones, I've this year salted some little round yellow ones. I don't know what variety they are. Dead easy and the tart salt liquid which forms is useful in cooking as well.
Not come across those. Sounds like a similar system to making 'chequerberry beer' (more of a wine, great if you can find them) but using salt rather than sugar. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back