What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather then keep feeding either weigh the hive and deduct hive parts (weight) or quickly assess the frames of stores by adding them up.
4.5 - 5lbs for BS deep.

I did weigh the 11 frames of one hive (will do the other today weather permitting). The total including bees was cca 11kg. Minus frames/brood/bees about 4-5kg, which would leave cca 6-7kg stores, so need feeding.

Today, just stood by the hives and watched the bees coming and going. One hive still has a number of drones chancing their luck - the same mob that killed off their drones twice in the Spring/ Summer when the weather changed. Strange little creatures they are!

makes no difference - The time I vape my hives coincides with whatever time I'm free to do it. No need to get all hung up about bees not being in the hive, I never close them in when I vape - they'll get a dose of the OA when they next get inside It's great seeing the bees merrily going about their business bringing in nectar and pollen and totally ignoring the puffs of OA vapour at the entrance.
I know the bees don't have to be in the hive for the treatment to work. I just do it at dusk because I find it easier to vape when there are fewer comings and goings. Just turned out that last night they were all hanging around outside anyway!

the title says it all

I applied some fondant to one of my colonies
Watched the bees returning a really good flow today. Noticed the odd drone still about returning to the hive and also the odd bee that’s been on the Himalayan balsam. I first saw them collecting Himalayan Balsam in mid August so surprised they are still finding it now in October. Does Himalayan balsam normally have a long season like this ?

Feeders removed, two of the four hives cosy and insulated, two left to do.Shed loads of pollen going in, amazing they can fly with such a heavy load. Very strong smell of ivy, never experienced it before, very distinctive

Inspected another 10 hives today and found two more bursting with bees and a decent amount of stores but no sign of brood at all. They seem very Q+ so I assume the queens are just having time out! That makes about 20% of all my hives in this state. I've tested with a frame of eggs on several of them with no sign of queen cells! I hope they know what they are doing 'cos I don't!

I just went through a lovely apiary where I got the impression the bees were paddling hard ready to catch a big wave, not much shake but clumps of bees gathered in any space ready to build wax and really busy traffic with lots of ivy pollen coming in. Nothing needed a feed and I plan to go back with boxes of foundation to take advantage of the expected wave of nectar as the good weather builds. We'll see.

Visited my furthest apiary today. Fed three hives with 3kg sugar each ~4.5litres. Third feeding visit and looks like it could be the last for feeding. Plenty of stores and patches of brood observed, didn't look much further than that as do not wish to risk damaging her majesty. Looking nice and busy and bringing in the pollen.

Got the penultimate colony ready to transport back to wintering site. Decided this prep was preferably done in the dry and daylight: I'd moved the other hive on this site about 10 days ago, at which point I learnt lifting a hive over a four foot, potentially electrified, fence in the dark and rain is not the best idea, especially when the bees decide to find a hole to escape from. Today went much more smoothly even if I was only putting them a foot backwards on the nearer side of the fence...

Then went to both of the winter base sites where the bees were very busy (excuse the mess). Found time to pick a few white bullace, they're nearly two months later than normal this year!

Attachments

• 20211008_151830.jpg
    20211008_151830.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211008_141602.mp4
    41.1 MB
White Bullace?

A type of Prunus, halfway between a sloe and a damson. There are regular sloe/damson colour and a white/gold/yellow colour one which is much less common. Very slow growing, this is a mature bush which fruits copiously although I sometimes miss it.

I just went through a lovely apiary where I got the impression the bees were paddling hard ready to catch a big wave, not much shake but clumps of bees gathered in any space ready to build wax and really busy traffic with lots of ivy pollen coming in. Nothing needed a feed and I plan to go back with boxes of foundation to take advantage of the expected wave of nectar as the good weather builds. We'll see.
If they are anything like mine, the air was black with lots of bees coming in bums down and a strong smell of Ivy in the air. My wife came for a tour of the bees today and she couldn't get over the traffic.

Mowing the lawn in front of the garden hives this morning and what appeared to be a european hornet landed on the top of the mower. On closer inspection it turned out to be a "hornet moth". Raced indoors grabbed a camera but although this only took seconds it had gone by the time I got back. This species is on my list of subjects I have been looking forward to photographing for years. I stayed in the garden near the hives for the next hour so but to no avail. While there became aware of the strong smell of ivy honey. At last the ivy has finally begun flowering and the bees in the garden hives are extremely active typical of a strong flow. Went down the farm in the afternoon where I have 28 colonies to tidy up the apiary before winter. No ivy coming in there although a couple were bringing in lots of very yellow pollen.

Latest posts

Back