What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“What could be more important than a little something to eat?” — Winnie the Pooh
I’d invite you round but it’s a long trip. We only did the chicken for the veggies😇

Attachments

• 3DED153C-8029-4872-B7E1-67E08C00EA95.jpeg
    3DED153C-8029-4872-B7E1-67E08C00EA95.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
I've not been inspecting the hives in my main apiary for the last month or so. Just hefting as I pass through and seeing how they are getting on.
With the last forecast warm day for a while I thought I'd just have a quick peak to make sure the hives had plenty of stores and were q+.
First one I looked at was very busy and when I popped the crown board the bees boiled over on to the top of the frames. I was extremely pleased I pulled couple of outer frames and found them solid with nectar. ( Ivy I presume) I almost closed them down but thought I better check for some brood. That's when the wheels fell off - as I went through the box every comb was crammed with nectar with no sign of any brood at all!
I hope the queen has just gone off lay and they have filled in all the brood nest with nectar because the flow is so strong but I'm having doubts.
What I did in the end was replace the three middle combs with drawn combs then put another brood box with drawn comb above in the hope that if there is a queen in there she will start laying in the empty combs and the bees will start filling the upper box rather than squeezing the queen out!
I found another hive in a similar state but just added a couple of empty combs as the brood box was not quite a choked with nectar as the first hive.
So bloody frustrating this bee keeping lark!!!!!!!!

Fed syrup to three lightest hives. Rest fed fondant.

I've not been inspecting the hives in my main apiary for the last month or so. Just hefting as I pass through and seeing how they are getting on.
With the last forecast warm day for a while I thought I'd just have a quick peak to make sure the hives had plenty of stores and were q+.
First one I looked at was very busy and when I popped the crown board the bees boiled over on to the top of the frames. I was extremely pleased I pulled couple of outer frames and found them solid with nectar. ( Ivy I presume) I almost closed them down but thought I better check for some brood. That's when the wheels fell off - as I went through the box every comb was crammed with nectar with no sign of any brood at all!
I hope the queen has just gone off lay and they have filled in all the brood nest with nectar because the flow is so strong but I'm having doubts.
What I did in the end was replace the three middle combs with drawn combs then put another brood box with drawn comb above in the hope that if there is a queen in there she will start laying in the empty combs and the bees will start filling the upper box rather than squeezing the queen out!
I found another hive in a similar state but just added a couple of empty combs as the brood box was not quite a choked with nectar as the first hive.
Hi that’s normal at this time of year - had the same reaction as you when I first saw. Queens reduce laying and some stop all together I find in mid - end sept, having made winter bees in aug and sept. Colonies back fill with stores ready for winter. Wouldn’t put another brood box on, I’d take that off. I’ve never felt it necessary to take stores out at this time of year and put in empty comb. I’d leave them to it and don’t do anymore inspections, best left alone.

Queens reduce laying and some stop all together I find in mid - end sept, having made winter bees in aug and sept.
Strange, I find that the bees have a brood break August/September and then step up the rate and produce their winter bees

Strange, I find that the bees have a brood break August/September and then step up the rate and produce their winter bees
Guess bees and locations are different , depends where you are. Understand that winter bees are produced from Aug - Oct but varies depending on the colony, age of the queen and their environment

Hi that’s normal at this time of year - had the same reaction as you when I first saw. Queens reduce laying and some stop all together I find in mid - end sept, having made winter bees in aug and sept. Colonies back fill with stores ready for winter. Wouldn’t put another brood box on, I’d take that off. I’ve never felt it necessary to take stores out at this time of year and put in empty comb. I’d leave them to it and don’t do anymore inspections, best left alone.
Hopefully you are right and as I said I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that is the case.

Popped up to put some more feed on the nuc, and got stung on the neck. Another 'I'll just...' job :rolleyes: One day, I promise, I will learn to suit up every time I go near the bees. It just might take another couple thousand stings before I learn my lesson ;)
Been there… 😉

I’d find it a worry looking in my hives if they are broodless atm. Mine sometimes reduce laying/break at the end of main flow. But queens will often keep going till end of November depending on availability of late pollen like ivy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hive so honey bound that a laying queen can’t find a patch to lay in although maybe small and ultra compact!

Last year all colonies had brood well into October on a cursory last check for stores and colony numbers on a mild day.

Exactly same with me yesterday. Brood box empty of brood but the MD super I had left on full to busting with bees. Did not want to disturb them further. Felt a bit light so dropped on some fondant as bad weather forecast and fingers crossed she is laying up top. Still lots of bees bringing in what I suppose is HB when weather good.

Just walked through the apiary. Cool and windy, max of 11c, very little flying. Looking from the clear boards, some colonies are in semi (loose) cluster.

Back