What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow 2nd batch of qcs going to replace some which will retire.. Last for this season.. hazels asking for full attention soon.. Will be very very very interesting.. looking on a bright side.. I will lose additional couple of kilos before winter and extra rich calorie food kick in..

Verified 2 Q‘s are mated and laying. One of those I’ll have a look in a few day to make sure those are indeed workers (once sealed), but seen solid frames of open brood, so optimistic.

Spent the morning doing an inspection of the 15 hives/nucs in my main apiary. most in good condition but 3 queens seem to have taken a break in laying. Plenty of sealed brood and a few larvae but no eggs!
maybe they are not back from their summer hols yet! :laughing-smiley-014

Spent an hour just looking at hive entrances. Guards working hard, every returning bee is checked.
Still heavy scent of heather around the apiary, you get it 50m away downwind.

Bit more jarring and labeling. I reckon I'll be at it until Christmas. Jarring buckets up to free them up for more exacting which also needs to be finished.

Took off the couple of Swienty Ashford feeders I have and added a wooden rim to give some bee space. Whilst I had the saw out I knocked together another two clearing boards. A winter project will be to make up enough for all hives.

Took clearing boards off several hives, put them on other hives. Removed all queen excluders and reinserted floor trays, added Abelo Ashford feeders to the now super-less hives.

Going to begin treating this week, feels like I'm a little bit behind as extracting is taking a lot of time.

Found and marked a very elusive queen. She was introduced as a queen cell to a colony recently made queenless. The colony was a swarm that arrived in early June but had not developed satisfactorily. The cell came from a friend's apiary where he has many excellent dark queens. Also put fondant on three nucs with new queens moved to an out apiary to escape robbing.

Cleaned a couple of hives that I had in store - they were empty and I was concerned to find a couple of wax moth grubs (lesser wax moth) in one of them. They've had a jolly good scrub with washing soda and tomorrow they are going to get a squirt or two of Cillit Bang. I don't think they would have survived as there was nothing in there for them to feed on- just surprised to see them in there.

Got the Burco boiler going and cleaned about 20 brood frames I had in store - they were old frames - some of them from the time when I actually made my own frames - they cleaned up well. I know -there will be those saying why bother ? But .. I'm foundationless so all I have to do before re-using them is put new horizontal wires in them (They are eyeletted so easy job) and rewax the timber started strip. If I had to dismantle them to put new foundation in I'm not sure I'd bother but they are glued and double nailed so perfectly able to be re-used. It meets my recycling and re-using principles and whilst I'm not saving a tree every little helps.

Then put clearer boards on the hives ready for extracting tomorrow. Bit worried about whether two of them will clear in time - one has four sunpers on and one has five. The rest are all two's but they are all heavy, two are so heavy I could hardly lift them, looked like the brood boxes were pretty well stored up as well ... thinking I should have put another super on ... Hindsight is wonderful isn't it ?

Did the deed on my failing queen and tipped what bees were left out.
checked the hive that has produced all my honey this year and it was extreme light so have started to feed it though I need to check it properly. Make sure her majesty is there etc,
Hive 2 going strong lots of capped brood nucs strong too

Weighed, fed and treated my colonies today. All three are lacking stores, so given invert. Ivy almost out, but not there yet. Not much else flowering now, situation not helped by lack of rain. The ground and autumn flowers are parched.

The European bee-eater (Merops apiaster) started to cruise at my area.. I don't know where they found suitable nesting site or maybe they are passing.. But they started to press in delicate time when new queens should go on mating.. Not mentioning hornets went berserk, even trying to enter the hives ( though mostly don't come alive out..)..

Fed two of the hives out of four,one not that bothered, the other wow,took us by surprise.Twelve hours later feeder dry with little tongues frantically trying to slurp up the last little drop. Two more fed today will be interested to see the response of the other two

Now we have sold all our honey, thinking about winter.
I have 9 mini nucs in various strengths.
Two are strong enough to overwinter.
The remaining seven are not.
So making a plan of what to combine with which. (two appear Q-).

My brain hurts! :eek:

Took advantage of perfect conditions for a few hours bee therapy. It was one of those moments, the light was spectacular, clouds of busy bees and the heady scent of propolis in the air with an occasional hint of wood smoke from my smoker on the stack of spare boxes.
Cleared down to the brood boxes now so I'll treat tomorrow when the supers come off. I took the opportunity of such a perfect day to assess the colonies, especially this year's queens. Very pleased with Lagertha's daughters, very quiet bees, no smoke required all season, even today when I was nicking their honey they sat there pleasantly doing their own thing. Beautiful bees.
I noted another three year old who has proved herself, been reliable every season, fills the hive with bees and the supers with honey. Exceptional work rate, she is a bit of a beast. Another two queens who are two year olds seem to be very similar, a daughter from one of these produced four supers.
I finally managed to get the double brood off the Demarree, it's a tight squeeze for now until the nucs go but the confusion wasn't too bad, plenty of bees fanning both entrances.
Not all ups, the downside was clearing up a colony that failed to requeen.
At present, the brood box combs are looking lovely and they are working Balsam with Ivy not far off.
Another fix tomorrow ;)

Honey jars are flying out. The local farmshop ordered 120 jars couple of weeks ago, today emailed they want more, as just a few left on the shelf.
I gave 5 jars to a local shop a week ago, as the guy said he doesn’t think those will sell. He called today asking for more, as all is gone…

Built a new bee base with some help! Then planted 300 wildflowers I’d grown from seed in rootrainers and scattered a yellow rattle seed mix I’d collected from our main meadow & watered it in. Creating a new area for the bees and other pollinators

Attachments

• 2E2BC71B-E99F-45E0-B3C5-4CA0031FA015.jpeg
    2E2BC71B-E99F-45E0-B3C5-4CA0031FA015.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • CB420FE8-A1CF-4FE4-91CB-B8F6ED570745.jpeg
    CB420FE8-A1CF-4FE4-91CB-B8F6ED570745.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 936BD2D8-5C26-4BFA-8AAA-E371D002FD36.jpeg
    936BD2D8-5C26-4BFA-8AAA-E371D002FD36.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Down to the Orchard after dinner and put treatment strips on the hives down there. Removed the clearer boards from the weekend and queen excluders as well; reinserted floor trays. Added feeders and gave a feed although some are a decent weight currently.

Back home and I lifted the last of the supers off. Definitely noticing that the clearer boards with the hole in the middle are nowhere near as effective as the split rhombus. I also think the smaller holes above the rhombus work better. I think I'll drill them 22mm now rather than 32mm.

Brought all remaining supers upstairs to where I'm extracting. That's the last 21 to get extracted, some of these are lighter than previously but it's been hard work lugging up all the supers this year.

Placed my Oxalic next to the dehumidifier; find it works much better and hopefully gives me fewer problems tomorrow.

Built a new bee base with some help! Then planted 300 wildflowers I’d grown from seed in rootrainers and scattered a yellow rattle seed mix I’d collected from our main meadow & watered it in. Creating a new area for the bees and other pollinators
Fabulous

Topping up the feeders like it's going out of fashion, filling in the morning and late evening bone dry!!!!!

Back