What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put Apivar on two colonies. Both looking great with plenty of brood and good looking queens. Runny hive 3 was less runny than normal which made life easier.

Not been on here for ages. It may take a while to catch up. I blame more work than 'wittering!'
For those who may be interested, things are not too bad here, though the honey crop here is not as good as last season, so far. I put it down to the limes, that looked so promising to start, suffering due to the very hot spell, that coincided with them flowering. The farm crop seem to have faired better than the other honey this year. It also seems to have a complex depth of flavour, that is usually found in the 'town' honey.

I still have the farm apiary quarantined, due to the EFB warnings. I check them regularly and have seen no signs, but will not move any stock in or out. This is a bit of a pain, as the expansion planned there has not really happened this season. There are twelve strong colonies there now though, despite going into the season with only seven.

My original allotment apiary has been very up and down this season. There were five strong colonies. They were split in late April, creating seven nucleuses with Q C's. Two of the hives had been turned into hive builders earlier, by adding an extra brood-box and 'checkerboarding' them. It was all looking good until the late May cold snap. I actually watched some bees taking down a Q C and lost most of my Q+ nucs! I managed to catch up a bit on that front in June though. Two colonies were even moved out in July, to help start a new apiary in Sandwell.

My second and third attempts using the Nico system failed yet again. I will have another go next season, but will look at grafting more next year.

The exciting thing has been the forming of the new apiary. It is intended to become my main base. It is closer and easier to access. There is also great all year round forage as well. There are currently seven strong colonies on the site, made up of a mixture of 'white-dot' queens of good stock. Two of them come from an 'up and coming' breeder from this site. I must say that they are the quietist bees ever. I feel over-dressed, with my bee-suit and gloves, when I go to check them out!

On the equipment front: The new Abelo hives are proving extremely good. I currently have seven of them in use. I don't know what it is about them, but the expansion of newly housed nucs has been incredibly fast! The first one used this season went from four frames of brood and supplies in June, to producing two massive supers of honey a few weeks ago. A third super is almost full as well. My Paradise hives are good, but definitely shaded by the Abelo's!

Honey production techniques have been massively improved on last year. I now use heat gun and roller, if required, to un-cap. There is virtually no mess. My new Lyson hand cranked twelve frame extractor is very efficient as well!

Attachments

• Uncappingwithheat.jpg
    Uncappingwithheat.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • honeyladenframes.jpg
    honeyladenframes.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Intosettlingbucket.jpg
    Intosettlingbucket.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
:hairpull:
I recruited the help of second year newbie in the village who is much better at spotting queens than me. I'd resigned myself to culling the Qs from two colonies that are perpetually angry. If we failed to spot the Qs I planned to separate the BBs from the supers and move them several yards away for a couple of hours.
In the event both colonies were docile, so no action taken..... !

Checked the hives for the first time in 2 weeks after holidays. There is a moderate balsam flow on but nothing spectacular.Still lots of uncapped honey which is annoying as I want to remove the supers and start treatment,having said that the mite load still seems low as it has been all year.

Checked the hives for the first time in 2 weeks after holidays. There is a moderate balsam flow on but nothing spectacular.Still lots of uncapped honey which is annoying as I want to remove the supers and start treatment,having said that the mite load still seems low as it has been all year.
Have you checked the uncapped honey Greg? Might be ready. Almost all my uncapped honey was ready (17-17.5%) when I took the supers off beginning of Aug.

Most of it wasn't shaking out but a little bit was (need to get a refract) i'll leave it another week in the vain hope they fill and cap it all.

Have you checked the uncapped honey Greg? Might be ready. Almost all my uncapped honey was ready (17-17.5%) when I took the supers off beginning of Aug.

Checked 10 introduced queens after releasing last Wednesday; all alive however I forgot to break the tab on one so hopefully they will accept her too. Gave the nucs a feed as well.

All colonies had there first vape today, cheap ebay ali pan used and diy brass glow plug pan used as well as the Gasvap. Tried my new ebay torch today and worked a treat on lowest flame power, a bit breezy in the apiary today so the Cadrim wasn't happy.

New torch.
Concise Home XHY-10070 New Gas Blow Troch Adjustable Micro Butane Torch Kitchen 711181816679 | eBay
How did you figure out the right nozzle width for the gasvap? Every one I looked at had no measurements for that bit so ordered one that looked the same as the gasvap one on eBay (cheaper) - but it’s a bit too small so now I’m mucking about with bits of copper tube to make a sleeve….. :banghead:

just enjoyed watching the bees have their 'last week' of sunshine, August has been full on living in a cloud here, with not even a few hours of heat breaking through. This week the much anticipated warm spell has arrived, last chance for the stronger hives to gather some nectar.

How did you figure out the right nozzle width for the gasvap? Every one I looked at had no measurements for that bit so ordered one that looked the same as the gasvap one on eBay (cheaper) - but it’s a bit too small so now I’m mucking about with bits of copper tube to make a sleeve….. :banghead:

One the visual size looked right and most tend to be of the correct size to fit and two I found the same torch elsewhere (may have been amazon) and a nozzle size was stated.

Spent the morning driving 50miles around Surrey to pick up 22 supers. Spent the afternoon changing the controller on the extractor then spinning the supers out. 22 supers in 41/2 hours on my own - hardwork but chuffed.

Inspected on main hive which was not as busy as other hives. Lots of bees - it was the only one to swarm this year - but no Q, no brood but polished cells. Added test frame as I could not find Queen despite two passes. V docile bees.

Checked two nucs - Qs there - but no sign of laying for past 3 weeks. Two week deadline for action or will unite with Q + nucs.
Checked mating nucs, 3 DLQs destroyed and bees ejected. (Lousy and intermittently poor weather has been terrible for summer mating - 30% success rate.)
All honey bottled, 80% sold.. same yield as last year which considering Spring was 25% down is an achievement.

Had the BI in, as a final visit this year. All looks clear and no samples taken, though they still want me to get rid of all the super frames (or melt/boil) and shook swarm the entire apiary next spring because of the EFB issues we had in area during the last couple years.

One of the colonies which I’ve waited for a VQ to mate, now has laying workers and will be shaken out today.

Spent the morning driving 50miles around Surrey to pick up 22 supers. Spent the afternoon changing the controller on the extractor then spinning the supers out. 22 supers in 41/2 hours on my own - hardwork but chuffed.
nice, how much honey did you extract?

The beginning's of a New Apiary
Tucked away behind an old building over looking my new Bass breeding dam.. Black Bee colonies - very aggressive

Attachments

• new apiary rroikraal.jpg
    new apiary rroikraal.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • new bass dam.jpg
    new bass dam.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
Trapping / swarming season has started... After only two days... Looking really good.

Attachments

• 2 day old trap.mp4
    19.4 MB

Latest posts

Back