What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a firm near me who make replacement galvanised Land chassis.
That, and the bulkhead are the only things that die in them. I remember a Dutch (or maybe Danish) metallurgist who was on a Series 3 forum I was a member of ranting on about the idiocy of landrover for selecting one of the worst metal qualities known to build the chasis, he reckoned that if they had gone for a higher quality and passed all the extra cost on to the buyer it would only have added a fiver on to the price!!

Yesterday, to ease congestion at an entrance, I opened it up whilst wearing gardening gloves. A bee saw its opportunity and went inside the cuff opening and I got my first sting of the season.
Today checked one hive not opened for getting on for a fortnight in quite cool weather. The bees didn’t appreciate my intrusion and I did the minimum, reassembled and left them to it. So again didn’t look at any others, just too cool when the sun goes in.

Grabbed a window in the weather to sort two Demarees✔ find and mark a queen in a huge colony. ✅ and go through three other colonies ☑
With the board rubber yesterday and the ticks today, you really are turning into the school mistress😀🤪

Did my first swarm control of the season 11C. She’s a green queen in double brood, her mark nearly worn off, gotcha! Relief. Nearly didn’t do inspections today but weather looking iffy again next week.

Then did first Demaree of season on a 8 brood colony using a board made to my spec to fit my WBCs by a local friendly joiner.

Quickly inspected 3 other colonies and spotted a white eyed drone. I found a pupa last week but in a totally unrelated colony. This one seemed to be happily going about its business and no attempt by the workers to throw it out.

Roll on spring, pleeeeease

Attachments

• CCCFE666-61AD-4B91-BC4F-B69FA7BAF080.jpeg
    CCCFE666-61AD-4B91-BC4F-B69FA7BAF080.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Shocking weather down in this part of Devon. Bees have stalled and I'm having to feed them. Next week is predicted to be another cold wet one. It's almost painful hearing everyone talking about splits, demarees and queen rearing!

Never really liked them, although I did most of my driver training in one (or the Wolf - the military version) always too much like riding in a pram, the GZ always felt too high up - I much prefered the leafsprung series 3 - I suppose a good option was the Spanish 'Santana' which was a landrover (series 3) built under licence - they did build a Defender version but didn't have a licence for it so they had to give them leaf springs not coil.
I wonder what happened to them?
I loved the army's 'Champ' but that went west too!

Shocking weather down in this part of Devon. Bees have stalled and I'm having to feed them. Next week is predicted to be another cold wet one. It's almost painful hearing everyone talking about splits, demarees and queen rearing!

No splits here.
Just keeping colonies alive and growing.

The Austin champ Part designed by Issigoni of Morris Minor and Mini fame) was an outstanding off road performer but had limited adaptability outside it's combat role. It was expensive and also competing with the Land rover which could do 80% of the work the champ could but at 50% of the price. it seemed it was also not that popular with the Pongos as it did not have many comforts, especially in bad weather.

The Austin champ Part designed by Issigoni of Morris Minor and Mini fame) was an outstanding off road performer but had limited adaptability outside it's combat role. It was expensive and also competing with the Land rover which could do 80% of the work the champ could but at 50% of the price. it seemed it was also not that popular with the Pongos as it did not have many comforts, especially in bad weather.
That brought back some memories
I learned to drive in one painted orange. Belonged to a boyfriend. He had replaced the petrol engine with a diesel one from a Commer van. We always had to park it on a hill as air frequently got into the fuel lines and rolling it down was the only way to start it in a hurry. Happy days at university.

The old Landy Defenders are still keenly sought after amongst the enthusiasts😉
There's a firm near me who make replacement galvanised Land chassis.
Before I ever had constant thoughts of bees in my mind and was a landscaper etc. I had a Series 111 'lightweight.' I should never have sold it!

It's almost painful hearing everyone talking about splits, demarees and queen rearing!
Yes.....frustrating isn't it? Things were going well here, but the promise of rapid expansion here has diminished somewhat!

What fun yesterday was! I needed to get down to the farm to check for the EFB infection that is supposedly near my apiary.
The first hold up was the delivery of my new Abelo hives. Two arrived via Parcelforce, then the other ten turned up by pallet courier about half an hour later. I then had to get them off the street and into my back garden. Loads of painting to do!
My partner came over to assist in checking the farm bees. She loves it.......NOT! Just for her, the bees were the stroppiest I have ever known them. Even the quiet hives went crazy. It was not as warm as I expected, so it may have been that. I cannot say it was a pleasant experience, digging into the very bottom of every hive to check for Foul-brood. The good news was there was no sign of it at all. The nearest known hives to mine are around a mile away, so I hope my bees will stay safe.
The new Swienty breeze suits proved a hit with my partner. However, I managed to get stung on the face, neck and arms. How? My spectacles fell off my nose. I had to retreat in the middle of a particularly nasty onslaught. In my rush to get back into the fray I forgot to zip up properly and pull the glove cuffs up well enough. I know.......high-tech kit, low- tech brain. It can only lead to trouble and pain!

Latest posts

Back