What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not always. I’ve had notifications for EFB in the local vicinity. Spoke with the local SBI who said they were too busy to inspect colonies on the outer edges of the 3km area.
Maybe it's time to call on beebase and BI 's to urgently rethink their response to ensure that they have a system in place that will help and not hinder...something simple like good enough to do the job ...not just when it's convenient.

Maybe it's time to call on beebase and BI 's to urgently rethink their response to ensure that they have a system in place that will help and not hinder...something simple like good enough to do the job ...not just when it's convenient.
It’s lack of SBIs. Vacancies go infilled

Or slice the banana onto a slice of buttered bread, sprinkle with sugar and place another buttered slice over it. I love banana sandwiches.

There's a point when to ripe and starting to give off a strong aroma , that any nana's I have go in to the bread machine to make some nice moist nana bread.

I was going to contact the local inspectors straight away, but will leave it until I've inspected. All seemed fine the other week at the farm. My other two apiaries had a good looking over this week and were fine. Funnily enough I just got an order from Simon the B. It had loads of new gloves and hive tools. All the locations have their own equipment as it is, but I lose things, especially hive-tools!

Finally got them all in their new hive! Getting them to clean up their old boxes now before I store them away.

View attachment 26031
Not a good idea to do it like that. You are inviting bees from anywhere to come and clean up. Possible disease risk.
If remnants of honey etc to clean up, put an open crow board on top of new boxes, with a box or two to be cleaned over that

Not a good idea to do it like that. You are inviting bees from anywhere to come and clean up. Possible disease risk.
If remnants of honey etc to clean up, put an open crow board on top of new boxes, with a box or two to be cleaned over that

Indeed

Plus, once all the robbers in the area have cleaned out the empties, they'll say "right lads, what's else is there?" and go for the new hives.

I split my breeder colony into 4 nucs on Tuesday. Yesterday I found another hive with QCs so have done a snelgrove split. So have gone from 4 to 8 potentially in one week. I was aiming to get to 10 by the end of the year so I can't complain. Fingers crossed for some laying queens.

Inspected another 8 today, 5 of them plodding along with ~10 frames of brood and no signs of swarming. One is very strong with 18 frames brood but no cells. The other 2 both had sealed cells in ,one is my best colony,the other is always very grumpy.Managed to find the slimmed down Q's in them both,padgeoned the nice colony and killed the q and destroyed all the cells in the grumpy one and added a cell from the nice colony,hopefully this will work out. Little bit of a flow on but still no meaningfull honey in any supers.

The old Landy Defenders are still keenly sought after amongst the enthusiasts😉
Never really liked them, although I did most of my driver training in one (or the Wolf - the military version) always too much like riding in a pram, the GZ always felt too high up - I much prefered the leafsprung series 3 - I suppose a good option was the Spanish 'Santana' which was a landrover (series 3) built under licence - they did build a Defender version but didn't have a licence for it so they had to give them leaf springs not coil.
I wonder what happened to them?

Latest posts

Back