What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to see her thorax but those legs look red and wings reach only the second tergite so a distinct possibility.
What did you see?
On the side of our queenless hive, the joint on the hive where she is standing iis roughly an inch

Not yet, just popped them in. Tabs intact, Q’s can’t be released.
Checked for QC’s (one nuc had a couple, removed), then removed the tabs off the butler cages. Will leave well alone now. Had to be quick as grey and 30-35mph winds.

Just back from inspecting a hive that had been going like the clappers. Last week, found several qc so took the queen and a couple of frames of brood away in a nuc and cut down to one qc. Today went in to cut out any extra qc and found 4, all now gone. This hive has 4 supers, 3 of which are in the process of being capped off (I said they were going like the clappers). I just pulled a frame on the second super to see how they were getting on with capping it over and there was a sealed qc staring at me. I then went through every frame in every super and removed 5 in various states of development from supers 2 and 3. I've read about people seeing this and it being thought it was laying workers - but I would say they were qc. One had a great fat larvae and was flooded with royal jelly. I guess they can move eggs around.

Although occasionally warm in sheltered spots (when the sun came through the clouds) it's been cloudy with a cold and blustery wind here - did what was necessary on a few Demarree'd colonies at the range and the Gelli - bees bouncing off the veil and being generally obnoxious (and that was before opening up anything!!) then home for lunch and peace and quiet (SWMBO's at her friend's - part of her welfare bubble, until later)

Just back from inspecting a hive that had been going like the clappers. Last week, found several qc so took the queen and a couple of frames of brood away in a nuc and cut down to one qc. Today went in to cut out any extra qc and found 4, all now gone. This hive has 4 supers, 3 of which are in the process of being capped off (I said they were going like the clappers). I just pulled a frame on the second super to see how they were getting on with capping it over and there was a sealed qc staring at me. I then went through every frame in every super and removed 5 in various states of development from supers 2 and 3. I've read about people seeing this and it being thought it was laying workers - but I would say they were qc. One had a great fat larvae and was flooded with royal jelly. I guess they can move eggs around.
Any other brood/eggs in there? Do you use upper entrances? Sounds like there’s a Q up there…

Inspected on the only decent day in the last 2 weeks. Only one hive with QCs so AS done, just in time as may have have swarmed today or tomorrow. The rest building up slowly with an extra frame of brood each week with only a little nectar coming in. Had 2 ins rain last week after 2 month drought, hopefully temperatures hold up this week and we might finally get a wriggle on!

So checked 2 hives I have at a farm for past 3 weeks 50 yards from an OSR field in full flower. Not a drop in the supers and small amount in broods. That shows how bad the weather has been.
The other 10 hives at home and out apiary are OK but no honey in any supers also and just holding their own with stores.

This time last year I was taking off 98kgs.

Got a call for a swarm from the centre of town, swarm in the road, got there as quick as I could. It was pretty much carnage dead bees all down the road like someone had driven thro a dollop of paint only bees. Sadly her Maj copped it too. No bother, picked up her remains and laid her to rest on the topbars and then watched as the survivors marched in two by two.

Off to my quarantine apiary, nicked a frame of bias from a different hive and the wait begins.

Hit another beekeeping experience point today. Collected 1st swarm this evening. Conveniently wrapped around a rose bush at knee height. Managed to scoop most into nuc box. Great to watch the rest head into the box. Number of hives expanding rapidly this year!

Got a call for a swarm from the centre of town, swarm in the road, got there as quick as I could. It was pretty much carnage dead bees all down the road like someone had driven thro a dollop of paint only bees. Sadly her Maj copped it too. No bother, picked up her remains and laid her to rest on the topbars and then watched as the survivors marched in two by two.

Off to my quarantine apiary, nicked a frame of bias from a different hive and the wait begins.
What a shame, but well done and I hope it turns out well.

Short of frames so made up 30 super and a dozen brood frames. My staple gun broke so had to go old school. OMG, I cannot believe how much longer it takes, I cant wait to get a new staple gun!

I tried. They wouldn't co-operate. Queen bees move too quickly to get a decent photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_132242.jpg
    IMG_20210509_132242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210509_134849.jpg
    IMG_20210509_134849.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210509_141612.jpg
    IMG_20210509_141612.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210509_142907.jpg
    IMG_20210509_142907.jpg