What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes ... that's what I do .. move the frames over - if you do it gently it normally only leaves a few bees in the Nuc. Turn the nuc upside down over the hive - give it a couple of good bangs and most of the bees will be in the hive. Leave the roof off the nuc and in front of the hive and they will all be in there in the hive no time - never felt the need for a sheet to walk them in ... just complicating a simple job.
Same with swarms I used to let them walk in . Interesting but after witnessing a good few times , I unceremoniously dump them in !

Whatever you say I can't really be bothered I haven't changed a simple process... And yes bees are half my income now.
Emyr I'm as far away from the bbka as one could be.
What's wrong with walking a swarm in does it take to long?? I've dumped a swarm in a box and they've obsconded?
Many ways of doing things for the best interest of our girls.
See ya!!
I've walked a swarm on a lawn into a box over a bit of cloth. They got down to a handful still outside when something caused a change of mind (possibly a scout came back with news of a des res). They all came streaming out, orbited the box a few times and vanished over the rooftops. ☹

Been rubbish here so took the opportunity to cut the wood and knock up some extra 5 frame Nuc's ready for when the weather improves. :smash:

imo, the only right way to do something is whatever works for you. If there's enough time, then why not sit and have a cup of tea and enjoy watching them march in? On the other hand, a small caste and colder weather bang them in and get them closed up so they can get warm. It's all relative.:whistle:

Last edited:
Just had a nuc take a tumble in the high winds.
Its a poly nuc with a small colony that we rescued from a tree fall so that's twice in a year this queen has taken a tumble.

Luckily it was in the back garden so I got it all out back together straight away.

I caged the queen yesterday as I'd added a frame of brood and bees to give them a boost fortunately they hadn't released her yet so she was safe and sound.

Out of interest how long does it take for them to chew through a fondant plug and release a queen?

Aldepends how many are left in the nuc;).
What is standard practice? Following bbka mantra.?
Easier ways my way is easy.
You see Mark, I'm all for trying different ways of doing things ... some work.... some don't ... and some it's just blatantly not necessary ... some things are best done the way beekeepers have been doing it ever since there were framed hives. I've transferred a good few nucs to hives over the years - not in the numbers some on here have but enough to know that shaking the bees into a box does not harm them. I've never seen dead bees on the landing board after transferring them in the traditional way which rather tells me it does not hurt them. I don't know how you managed to pick up this idea - presumanbly some idiot on you-tube reinventing the wheel - forget it, it's uneceesary.

You see Mark, I'm all for trying different ways of doing things ... some work.... some don't ... and some it's just blatantly not necessary ... some things are best done the way beekeepers have been doing it ever since there were framed hives. I've transferred a good few nucs to hives over the years - not in the numbers some on here have but enough to know that shaking the bees into a box does not harm them. I've never seen dead bees on the landing board after transferring them in the traditional way which rather tells me it does not hurt them. I don't know how you managed to pick up this idea - presumanbly some idiot on you-tube reinventing the wheel - forget it, it's uneceesary.
Don't know where you get the u tube thing from? you always say that Philip.
Haven't picked anything up just what I've observed and thought about.
I've already moved 30 odd nucs already this season I'm not saying I've moved loads.

:devilish: I never use sheets to walk in swarms: ground is usually too wet

The wheel thing again dam it!! :laughing-smiley-004

Wheels have been re-invented many times; just look at a modern car in comparison with a vintage car...there are many more examples. Much of beekeeping seems to glory in faffing about, now't wrong with continuing that tradition. ;)
Ar men

Summer seems arrived.. Now will have daily over 20C, nights not below 7.. Black locust seems lost in frosts, even black ash.. If I have no other obligations around hazels.. I would start qrearing.. Cause seems forage this season seems will be scarce and if will be maybe just one light extraction.. More time for other work around bees. So far 2 colonies only showed interest in swarming which I split light and queens are on the list of replacing ( also their daughters as well). There is plenty of pollen, and much less nectar coming. Will have to watch carefully these days for May disease.. I heard some beeks are extracting before locust forage, but what they extract when there isn't almost enough for bees.. Bad reputation in our beekeeping is continuing to pile up.. and later who would believe that You sell real honey not the sugar syrup.. I feel powerless anger..

Summer seems arrived.. Now will have daily over 20C, nights not below 7.. Black locust seems lost in frosts, even black ash.. If I have no other obligations around hazels.. I would start qrearing.. Cause seems forage this season seems will be scarce and if will be maybe just one light extraction.. More time for other work around bees. So far 2 colonies only showed interest in swarming which I split light and queens are on the list of replacing ( also their daughters as well). There is plenty of pollen, and much less nectar coming. Will have to watch carefully these days for May disease.. I heard some beeks are extracting before locust forage, but what they extract when there isn't almost enough for bees.. Bad reputation in our beekeeping is continuing to pile up.. and later who would believe that You sell real honey not the sugar syrup.. I feel powerless anger..
Are you saying Goran that some people may be extracting their cane/beet sugar syrup?

Back