What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you finding minimal drones to?
Frustrating really the crab apple is starting to bloom.
Three fields of osr have been mowed of :hairpull:.
Here's a video of a nuc I hived up on Saturday. I use a sheet on every nuc I'm acumilating quite a few know.
Why do you do that?

Why do you do that?
For the stragglers to walk up because after I've transferred frames I smoke the nuc a little bit and tip the nuc on its side and they walk in, move on to the next while this is happening.

That was the first on of eight I did in a row.
It doesn't always work with the smoke you get some gathering in the corners so you have to tap them out.

Last edited:
Took advantage of the warmish break here in Birmingham yesterday and went to check on my allotment apiary.
The intentionally queenless hive had taken down a couple of sealed QC's, leaving two. I decided to leave them to it.
The two new nucs are doing well. I expanded the three frame one to a full six frames. I thought that the sealed QC would have hatched by now, but not yet. I think the weather has had an effect.
My 'superhive' is still going nuts. The queen has been up on the top brood-box laying on the freshly drawn chequerboarded frames. They are absolutely stuffed! Same with the lower box. I never saw the queen, but know she's active for sure. The super I added the other week is so full of honey that I've added another. I've added supers to the other hives too.
I took a look at the lime trees over the hedge in the park. They are just coming into leaf, so will be flowering within the next few weeks, providing the weather doesn't do anything silly!
I will go down to the farm on Wednesday, once the bad weather has passed, to check the hives there. Today I must get as many frames done as possible. I don't need that at the moment, but will in a month or so, if all goes well.

For the stragglers to walk up because after I've transferred frames I smoke the nuc a little bit and tip the nuc on its side and they walk in, move on to the next while this is happening.

That was the first on of eight I did in a row.
It doesn't always work with the smoke you get some gathering in the corners so you have to tap them out.
Ah I thought you were walking all the bees in. I just tap them all in from the top

Ah I thought you were walking all the bees in. I just tap them all in from the top
Yeah you can do that but I think its gentler on the bees doing it with the sheet, towel infront of the entrance it takes longer but by the time you have done a few the first ones are walking/ fanning like the video, I've been back half hour later and everything is back to normal.

Yes ... that's what I do .. move the frames over - if you do it gently it normally only leaves a few bees in the Nuc. Turn the nuc upside down over the hive - give it a couple of good bangs and most of the bees will be in the hive. Leave the roof off the nuc and in front of the hive and they will all be in there in the hive no time - never felt the need for a sheet to walk them in ... just complicating a simple job.

Yes ... that's what I do .. move the frames over - if you do it gently it normally only leaves a few bees in the Nuc. Turn the nuc upside down over the hive - give it a couple of good bangs and most of the bees will be in the hive. Leave the roof off the nuc and in front of the hive and they will all be in there in the hive no time - never felt the need for a sheet to walk them in ... just complicating a simple job.
:iagree: just unneccessary faffery

I can't see how it complicates things, I would rather tap the bees out on a softish surface than on to frames and an omf floor because essentially that's what happens.
What happens to the bees when you tap them in the box? They hit the floor/frames, can get damaged and disorientated or even killed.
Even working at speed walking the last few in doesn't take long and any way why the rush they are my livestock after all and every last bit of care I can give them I will.

Last edited:
I can't see how it complicates things, I would rather tap the bees out on a softish surface than on to frames and an omf floor because essentially that's what happens.
What happens to the bees when you tap them in the box? They hit the floor/frames, can get damaged and disorientated or even killed.
Even working at speed walking the last few in doesn't take long and any way why the rush they are my livestock after all and every last bit of care I can give them I will.
But how many bees are we talking about here? A dozen?
Transfer frames carefully, tip the few bees in or leave the nuc on its side at the entrance
Mark. I’m not suggesting you change your MO. You’re obviously content with it but anybody else reading might assume it’s standard practice. There are easier ways

But how many bees are we talking about here? A dozen?
Transfer frames carefully, tip the few bees in or leave the nuc on its side at the entrance
Mark. I’m not suggesting you change your MO. You’re obviously content with it but anybody else reading might assume it’s standard practice. There are easier ways
Aldepends how many are left in the nuc;).
What is standard practice? Following bbka mantra.?
Easier ways my way is easy.

What is standard practice?
Anything apart from faffing around with a cloth and 'walking them in'
Why turn a simple maneuvre of transferring bees and frames from one box to another into some kind of conjurors flummery akin to the BBKA's obsession with walking a swarm in with a bedsheet? It's OK if you've only got a hadful to do and you don't depend on it for a living I suppose.

Pouring and cold in barry today, stuck in doors

Anything apart from faffing around with a cloth and 'walking them in'
Why turn a simple maneuvre of transferring bees and frames from one box to another into some kind of conjurors flummery akin to the BBKA's obsession with walking a swarm in with a bedsheet? It's OK if you've only got a hadful to do and you don't depend on it for a living I suppose.
Whatever you say I can't really be bothered I haven't changed a simple process... And yes bees are half my income now.
Emyr I'm as far away from the bbka as one could be.
What's wrong with walking a swarm in does it take to long?? I've dumped a swarm in a box and they've obsconded?
Many ways of doing things for the best interest of our girls.
See ya!!

Latest posts

Back