What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly in the apiary nor today but this was what I was doing yesterday. Finally got them all in and home by 8.30pm.

Attachments

• IMG_3628.MOV
    8.2 MB
Do you think these are drone cells?look a bit weird!!. The two little towers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-082115_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-082115_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
Do you think these are drone cells?look a bit weird!!. The two little towers
One is a play cup ... the other... just got a bit creative with the comb on the edge of the frame ... could be practising for queen cell building - time to keep an eye on them .....

One is a play cup ... the other... just got a bit creative with the comb on the edge of the frame ... could be practising for queen cell building - time to keep an eye on them .....
Done a split so hopefully they'll get into gear and create a queen

Had a similar colony re temper last year
Just experienced the same thing. Hive 2 at the farm. They were totally crazy last year. Just completed a full inspection yesterday. I was expecting to have to dispatch the queen and amalgamate the workers with another colony. They were a bit feisty, but nothing like last year. I false swarmed the queen to a nuc and will see what happens with her now. I may split her old home and re-queen them later on, if the timing works out right that is!

Yes.....I finally felt it was safe to inspect the farm colonies. It was lovely and warm and they were very busy. I'm still learning about interactions of the bees there and the local wildlife. The wood does have deer visiting, but for the moment there has been no problems. There is a fox earth close, but I'm not sure if it is in use at the moment, but has been visited.
The biggest problems seem to come from wasps (to be addressed) and mice! I lost two colonies and a nuc to wasps last autumn. I've never seen wasps attack like they seem to in the wood!
On the mouse front, it is a mystery to me how they can actually get in to a Paradise hive! I knew that one of my colonies was weak, but had no idea that a mouse or vole had managed to get in through the 'front door.' What a mess! Chewed wax etc had all but destroyed the hive and the colony. There was no sign of the queen. :mad:
The other colonies were fine and strong. I chequerboarded one, to hopefully increase their population to use later on in nucs. I split two by false swarming the queens to nucs. Hopefully the queenless hives will draw queen cells that I can use for nucs.

Quick inspection of double Keiler mini nuc. Added another section: destined to be transferred into a national hive in 3 weeks.

Why does someone ask another to sort out an apiary.... Unless its your really... Mind boggles... Alot of new names in this forum
The company who I have sold the hives and bees to pay me monthly to maintain them - its normally for the Company's "Green Credentials" and honey to distribute to their customers.

All hives flying nicely and lots of pollen brought in. Walking around the apiary, seems a couple of my colonies are a bit more defensive...

Please don’t ask. Started the shenanigans at 10am and finished at 7.30pm.

p.s. Must increase my hive numbers to 5 although did have 6 for a short period of time today.

p.p.s. Does anyone else ever go to sleep with the sound of buzzing in their ears?
Hahaha....that was me yesterday. It was hard work and I swear there was still a buzzing sound hours after, just to compliment the tinnitus I have anyway!

God im not sure, what's the advice? Should I give the new hive with the old queen sugar feed to give them a boost?
I fed the queens that I moved into nucs, but decided that the queenless hives were fine for food.
Regarding the queenless hives: The bees will realise that their queen has gone, so will start to draw 'emergency' queen-cells. There may be dozens produced. Some people check the hives around ten days after, looking for sealed q c's. Then they either snuff out all but one or leave a couple to fight it out, or remove them with frames to make more nucs. Personally, I am expanding as much as I can this season, so want as many queen-cells as I can get!

I fed the queens that I moved into nucs, but decided that the queenless hives were fine for food.
Regarding the queenless hives: The bees will realise that their queen has gone, so will start to draw 'emergency' queen-cells. There may be dozens produced. Some people check the hives around ten days after, looking for sealed q c's. Then they either snuff out all but one or leave a couple to fight it out, or remove them with frames to make more nucs. Personally, I am expanding as much as I can this season, so want as many queen-cells as I can get!
I thought I may leave them to sort out their queen just in case I despatch the wrong queen cell, hopefully that'll be the right decision. Trial and error

Had quite a shift yesterday afternoon. Went round remaining 7 colonies, re-marked & clipped queens. Swopped a few winter stores frames with empty drawn comb. Changed a couple of floors, teak oiled WBC lifts in the sunshine. Decided to unite 2 colonies, one is out-growing it's double Nuc with 6 good frames brood (green queen), the other was struggling to get beyond 4 frames (blue queen) and didn't do much last year, she was on my list for re-queening.

Visited a new apiary where I have one colony. Had high hopes for this one, mated later last season and related to my best colony. Colony seemed pretty full with bees and plenty in the super. However 2nd frame in found a charged queen cell. 2 others on edge of frame but just v large queen cups no eggs. Thought too early for swarm cells, found only 2 more frames with brood, sealed worker brood, good pattern, some small larva, but no eggs. Lots of sealed drone brood all on the edges of frames rather than dotted in with worker brood. Ughh, think I have a failing queen who has stopped laying. Found her. No drones in hive, just sealed drone brood. Drones only just emerging in my other hives in other apiaries, so feels too early to have enough drones about for mating just yet. Should I risk it or not....Decided to put her back and take down the supersedure cell. Hopefully will buy me a bit of time whilst drones emerge / mature. Bit concerned re lack of eggs, so will take a frame of eggs from my related / best colony and put that in next time, see if they make another supersedure cell.

Carried out first full inspection at the 3 apiaries today with a 15C max. The Norfolk spring has been cold and bone dry after the autumn/winter deluge with very cold nights and only 4 decent foraging days so far, frustratingly the forecast looks back to cold for at least another week.
One site BIAS on 8 frames with some nectar flow from willow, blackthorn and dandelion. The other sites very slow brood development BIAS only on 3-5 frames and little in the way of flow. Left remaining fondant on, they may need it.
All queens however appear to be laying well, some drone brood in all hives and no queen cells.
Looking unlikely to be much spring honey this year unless the weather improves quickly.

Glorious weather for a few days and the bees have made the most of it. On inspecting at the new apiary, hives that were on 5 frames of bees in the 14x12 had filled the 11 frames with more brood and plenty of nectar in a week. All had a super added and hopefully they can shift the nectar in it.
Other apiary I had to demaree my 1st hive which had 8 frames of brood and 2 full super already. They're not the nicest of bees but may support them for the season if they carry on that way.
2 hives are currently superceding due to mate the 1st week of May but the drones are just starting to emerge, let's see what happens there!! I will wait another 2 weeks and start on some splits with the unwanted stock.

Back