What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confirmed swarm near me (West Yorkshire) two days ago. Which surprised me somewhat. They must have been desperate. Or desperately swarmy /optimistic.
That’s v early for our neck in the woods. Earliest I’ve had queen cells (down in the valley) is 28 April in a nice warm spring, last year also nice spring was 1st week in May. Up on the tops it’s mid June

When I had a very quick peep 12 days ago all mine had fresh open stores and lots of room bar one so all should be ok, yes certainly still to cold with the wind to do anything. I added a frame of stores to a nuc as they a had 2.5 empty frames as well, full size colony with little laying space I removed three frames of stores as the Q was tight for room up top where they are toasty with the warmth and stores.

I think they may be trying to tell me something ... overwintered Paynes modified Nuc today ... just through the crownboard and there were lots flying ...View attachment 25411

My BS Nat was like that took out the PIR to have a look through the poly carb and they were all over the top of 8 of the frames and very warm, was a good job I managed to remove three frames of stores still leaving them five or six and some extra laying space at the top.

My BS Nat was like that took out the PIR to have a look through the poly carb and they were all over the top of 8 of the frames and very warm, was a good job I managed to remove three frames of stores still leaving them five or six and some extra laying space at the top.
I was tempted but it was only about 6 degrees this afternoon ... the end frame is full of stores - I could see them through the crownboard but when it warms up next week I think they are going to be rehomed in one of my 14 x 12..

That's a fact..

I think the Costa del Fareham has had snow like that once in the last 50 years !! Brought the place to a standstill as most of the locals had only ever seen snow on skiiing trips abroad !

Cold by our standards down here at 9 degrees although the clouds have cleared and the sun is shining .. we've had no rain for at least the last three weeks ...

Was warm in the sun today, everyone out foraging and everything looking good , decided to go for a walk and left the coat at home .......it poured with snow 5 mins in!Strange weather!

It doesn't help that the BBKA have issued a starvation warning oh, and a national EFB alert :icon_204-2:
That's fine: they can have two types of swarm: normal AND shook..
(they like shook swarms!)

It doesn't help that the BBKA have issued a starvation warning oh, and a national EFB alert :icon_204-2:
Yes I know .... and running true to form there will be muppets slapping on buckets of fondant and gallons of syrup 'just in case' without even considering whether they need it ...

Do they expect people to inspect for EFB in this weather?

Sunny with us today albeit still a bit cold, bees out in force once the sun had been on the hives at the home apiary for half an hour, plenty of orienting bees.
Decided to clean and flame all the queen excluders in readiness for the flow.......

I was tempted but it was only about 6 degrees this afternoon ... the end frame is full of stores - I could see them through the crownboard but when it warms up next week I think they are going to be rehomed in one of my 14 x 12..

I wasn't clear in my wording Philip I only peered through the Poly CB the actions of removing the three frames of stores was twelve days ago when I saw that laying space was short. I would never consider opening in these conditions.

Yesterday we cleared the site for our first out apiary. A small corner of north Herefordshire on the edge of an Iron Age hill fort. Plenty of ancient standard cider orchards, scrub and woodland on the doorstep and the mixed farm is being run on regenerative principles.

Attachments

• F1651BCF-7333-4814-94DF-3375A174AF97.jpeg
    F1651BCF-7333-4814-94DF-3375A174AF97.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 0D23956F-B6CC-41F0-99B6-D8531ADE3F52.jpeg
    0D23956F-B6CC-41F0-99B6-D8531ADE3F52.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 79444EE5-5B0D-46CF-AD3C-0404DF3577BF.jpeg
    79444EE5-5B0D-46CF-AD3C-0404DF3577BF.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 47
Yesterday we cleared the site for our first out apiary. A small corner of north Herefordshire on the edge of an Iron Age hill fort. Plenty of ancient standard cider orchards, scrub and woodland on the doorstep and the mixed farm is being run on regenerative principles.
What a terrific looking spot...

Hefted all my hives and provided the necessary support to those extremely light in weight. Very measured, very minimal and just enough to get them over the latest cold spell. Did have one small hive I inspected, saw brood [but not much] and so moved the frames round to provide food etc and closed up quick. My reasoning was as it was so light I had nothing to loose by doing it and everything to gain by helping. Time will tell on the outcome.

Just watched them for a bit at lunchtime and complimented them on being so tolerant of me standing right next to the hives. Plenty of pollen coming in, with a good variety of colours. Noticed what looks like neatly removed brood caps on one of the landing boards and more on the ground on front. Why would they be uncapped in this manner or could they be older stores caps?

Attachments

• F9108EE8-8625-48D5-9F0B-A3397EAB004F.jpeg
    F9108EE8-8625-48D5-9F0B-A3397EAB004F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back