What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you JBM. This person is making too many assumptions, based on his own actions. I always make sure that all traces of treatment are removed, then leave quite some time before putting on supers, to crop honey.
Update:
I checked the inspection boards of the hives yesterday.....ONE DAY after applying the Apilife-Var strips. Here are the photos.......

Attachments

• Inspection board (1).jpg
    Inspection board (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Inspection board (2).jpg
    Inspection board (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40
you're right, he is nowhere near a flow,
read his reply!!
some of us think about our beekeeping not just do it by numbers.
As a moderator of this forum you will have a duty of care to the people you advise, so it would be advisable to keep to the manufacturers instructions and regulations.

Manufacturer's instructions are pretty clear, do not use during a honey flow and that is all they say, there is no mention of the time of year, only not to apply during high temperatures, noone is recommending or proposing that its is used during a flow, also (if you read the instructions) it states there is a 0 day withdrawal time after removal before you add supers.

Update:
I checked the inspection boards of the hives yesterday.....ONE DAY after applying the Apilife-Var strips. Here are the photos.......

Not bad! How strong is the colony that came from? I've seen low mite drops before and got excited about the possibilities, only to realise later that the colony was only on a couple of frames. You have to be very critical of the reasons why your mite drop is low.

I bought a 6 frame manual to start with and all very exciting. Two years later and cranking the handle becomes a bit of a bore. Grandchildren no use. 30 seconds and they're gone. So I mounted an electric drill on top and now it spins frames dry in ten minutes. 6 frame radials are better than 10. In a 6 frame you can spin 2,3,4, or 6 frames at a time. With a 10 frame you can only spin 2,4,5 or 10 otherwise they don't balance.
Ah, but just think what combinations you can do with a 12 frame 😀

6, 12 , 60 and 360 are what is known as highly composite numbers - they can be divided by lots of other numbers.
That is why we use dozens, 60 minutes in an hour, 360 degrees in a circle.
🤓

As a moderator of this forum you will have a duty of care to the people you advise, so it would be advisable to keep to the manufacturers instructions and regulations.

READ the instructions on the back of the packet I have taken the time to photograph? The only reference to temperature is about not using the product if the temperature is over 30 degs C. I follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. I have NEVER had tainted honey, due to applying this product as instructed!

You are another one of these people on here who tries to pull the: 'I am far more superior' trick and then cannot bring themselves to apologise when called out. Instead you start blaming everyone else!

Someone tried this same trick last month and has now gone very silent. Maybe you should do the same?

This message was heavily edited due to the offensive tone I originally took. YEP.....I'm afraid that this is as clean as I could get this reply, considering how angry I am.

Attachments

• Apilife instructions for nonbelievers.jpg
    Apilife instructions for nonbelievers.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
I bought a 6 frame manual to start with and all very exciting. Two years later and cranking the handle becomes a bit of a bore. Grandchildren no use. 30 seconds and they're gone. So I mounted an electric drill on top and now it spins frames dry in ten minutes. 6 frame radials are better than 10. In a 6 frame you can spin 2,3,4, or 6 frames at a time. With a 10 frame you can only spin 2,4,5 or 10 otherwise they don't balance.

You need to pay them...

Enjoyed watching mine bring in some pollen, first time this year. Watched one return to crash land on the roof, hit the deck upside down, righted herself, wobbled a bit then flew down to the entrance with her load of pollen. Temperature still only around 10 degrees in the sun, but very little wind today.

Had to slip down to Garn Cottage - the farmer had salvaged the remains of the washed away hive (just four frames of stores so far) so I thought I'd go and get them to prevent a robbing frenzy, that hive would have been great going into spring considering how much stores were probably remaining.
As I was down there, and it was fairly fine, removed any nadirs from the remaining hives - all were the same, jam packed with bees and still heavy with stores, but winter is far from over yet.fb.jpg

Can you not set 'counter-weights' to rebalance the weight? Just a thought.

Actually there is some evidence that if you swap red meat for squirrel meat you can get a brain disease - it’s been found in various isolated farmsteads in redneck areas who eat squirrels...!

The meat wasn't the ;problem . The 11 people found with a form of CJD in Kentucky had been cooking and eating squirrel brains (containing the prions associated with CJD)
I won't eat that then.

Hefted the hive, still a good weight and lots of bees out collecting pollen. Spent most of the day making new veg beds and several bees seemed very interested in buzzing around. I heard they ‘like’ human sweat, is that why they kept flying around me?
Watch out! They don't like mamalian smells or fast movements. That's when they sting.

Manufacturer's instructions are pretty clear, do not use during a honey flow and that is all they say, there is no mention of the time of year, only not to apply during high temperatures, noone is recommending or proposing that its is used during a flow, also (if you read the instructions) it states there is a 0 day withdrawal time after removal before you add supers.
You know as well as I do that all honey has been through the brood box. Studies and manufacturers detail instructions state use in Aug. after the honey flow (as there is risk of build-up in comb and honey). I would say if you have a problem in spring that is not the way to go. But as you always say if you get your autumn treatment right there should be no need for spring treatments.

I am thinking about it, but a bit concerned about bird flu. Rat trap ordered!
Hi Beeno, I had a rat looking in at me through my patio doors yesterday....I will be recovering my rat trap from my daughter at the weekend😳

Latest posts

Back