What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway... back to the reason for the thread.

Finished planting up the first 50m of flowering hedge along a wall next to the apiary. Gave up waiting for the last batch of shrubs and fruit trees to arrive so went ahead with what I had. Remaining shrubs turned up half an hour after I finished. Checked feed. Still some fondant on top bars so just stood and admired bees going out to the crocuses I have spent the last 10 years putting in the field next to the hives (about a thousand a year but the moles eat about half). Wandered about impressed by how many of the crocuses had bee bottoms poking out of them.
Generally just smiled because of the sunshine.

This climate went nuts! Since I wrote here last time, the flow of goat willow and cornel don't stop. Today we had cozy 20 Celsius. I was working in orchard and got neck burnt.. Whole hill smells on willows.. I have flow in winter.. Fruits almost opened buds, I have to rush with spraying before they open.. madness.. BUT there will be frost after and all fruit flowers will be scorched.. I am concerned about this season ( both for honey forages and fruits).. If wild cherry open its buds.. and get scorched.. I believe in foot of the hill will hear me yelling how pissed I will be..
Problems of early spring! Fingers crossed that it will not be too bad for you.

I have never expected a pat on the back or actually got one I don’t think.
I shall bookmark your post in my head and recall it if I’m ever tempted to trap a squirrel let alone release it.

Do you think Drewdrew would be upset if I confessed to having a squirrel feeder in the garden? Just thought I would check with you first before telling anyone else.

Attachments

• dfgf.jpg
    dfgf.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 27
I have very fond memories of Burnham Beeches. I was staying at a good hotel just before Christmas back in the 80s attending a training course with Ford Motor Co. My Sierra Cosworth was stolen by thieves who lifted it onto a lorry and took it away. They kindly left me the key. I was faced with getting home the day before Christmas Eve by getting a lift to Cambridge, sorting out another car and then on to home.
When I phoned my boss on discovering the loss, asking what I should do, he just said “f####### walk” and hung up on me.
The hotel Manager told me it happened all the time - really useful after the event.
Still common place.
I understand the squirrels aspect as they are a destructive non native species, like cats.
I saw the bank vole up close yesterday. Half my laburnum arch is dead no roots? I think now that I must have a rat or two in the garden as well! I need to get a trap. Anyone wants are rat before complaints? It will not be shot.

Oscar my Springer Spaniel ate a mouse alive and whole in one gulp yesterday.... and then knobbled a grey squirrell which was dragged off to its fate still wriggling by the collies...
Does this mean the veggie and nere do well vegan police wierdos will come around and give me a good ticking off ????
My German Shepherd, years ago, ate a squirrel and my 3 year old said "squirrel does not like Sabre any more?"

Texted my wife to tell her that there were quite a few chilled bees on the ground in front of a hive and she told me to rescue them. Amazing powers of recovery. All heavily loaded with pollen.

Attachments

• ED158B6E-707F-4643-B0C6-6E12E20A8DEF.jpeg
    ED158B6E-707F-4643-B0C6-6E12E20A8DEF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • C7C5E895-471B-47FE-B84E-18CFC012F88A.jpeg
    C7C5E895-471B-47FE-B84E-18CFC012F88A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Is the hive definitely not short of food?
That’s what I’m most paranoid about at present but I took a nadired super off this one last weekend and the brood box felt fairly heavy still when I lifted it. I reckon it’s just heavy bees missing the landing board and then getting chilled in the shade.

mountain out of a molehill
Oh noooo.....I have killed moles as well as squirrels. The moles were actually trying to make mountains out of their molehills I think :rolleyes:

Went back to the stricken hive today. Managed to lift it into position after loads of smoke. The bees were surprisingly calm. The real surprise was how heavy it was. My partner would never have been able to lift it up on to its stand. Before anyone uses the 'sexist' word.....she is ten times fitter than me, an ex marathon runner and still runs three miles a day. However, I'm 14 stone and she is 8 stone. You need bulk backing you to lift that sort of weight! It must have been an easy sixty pounds.
The bees seemed to accept their new position, not that far from there old one. The colonies are bringing in crocus and snowdrop pollen. I decided to apply Apilife Var, whilst I was messing them about. It's a bit early to do that. I usually do it in mid March/April, but what the heck, it's fairly warm and might give me a head start with varroa treatment, there at least.

Went back to the stricken hive today. Managed to lift it into position after loads of smoke. The bees were surprisingly calm. The real surprise was how heavy it was. My partner would never have been able to lift it up on to its stand. Before anyone uses the 'sexist' word.....she is ten times fitter than me, an ex marathon runner and still runs three miles a day. However, I'm 14 stone and she is 8 stone. You need bulk backing you to lift that sort of weight! It must have been an easy sixty pounds.
The bees seemed to accept their new position, not that far from there old one. The colonies are bringing in crocus and snowdrop pollen. I decided to apply Apilife Var, whilst I was messing them about. It's a bit early to do that. I usually do it in mid March/April, but what the heck, it's fairly warm and might give me a head start with varroa treatment, there at least.
Yes it may be a bit early for Apilife var as it requires temperatures above 18 degC to be effective.

Latest posts

Back