What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd just shoot it through the bars of the trap then tip the corpse into the general purpose rubbish bin.
It's really difficult ... when they are petrifed and rolling their eyes up at you ... and saying I didn't really mean to destroy all the insulation in your loft and my mate chewed through the cable to the exterior lights and died in an inaccessible corner after being electrocuted and caused a massive stain on the spare bedroom ceiling before being eaten by maggots that turned into a plague of flies and a smell which took weeks to get rid of until you finally found my mates corpse and got rid of it ....but revenge does eventually overcome the feelings of remorse ... as long as 'er indoors doesn't catch you with the gun and a squirrel in a cage ...

Is it wise for a mod to issue veiled threats ?
Going back to squirrels. If we could persuade the UK pop of the nutritional value of grey squirrels (Elvis ate them if that is any recommendation) and also encourage eating rabbits more often then the problem could be potentialy be solved . On the same theme we should be encouraged to eat shellfish and more fish now that the EU have made importing them more difficult.

Last edited:
is it wise for a forumite to troll a mod?
Is that a wise comment? Take a step back and THINK for 1 second.

A moderator of this forum, has openly and willingly admitted to committing a CRIMINAL act. You (Jenks) seem to like quoting acts and the law when its suits your arguments. Here, we have a mod owning up to it, and then answering with:
Actually, yes. It’s a joke. Lighten up.

When challenged.

Seriously, you 2 need your heads banging together. @admin should be aware to.

A moderator of this forum, has openly and willingly admitted to committing a CRIMINAL act. You (Jenks) seem to like quoting acts and the law when its suits your arguments. Here, we have a mod owning up to it, and then answering with:

When challenged.

Goodness gracious lighten up....we all know grey squirrels are vermin but they are incredibly watchable creatures who are obviously highly intelligent as rodents go... I try and avoid killing them so tend to try and prevent the need to trap them by denying them access to objects or locations they find attractive. The law was established to stop people from proliferating this invasive species but as it is now almost endemic through most of the British isles I suspect that the WCA would not bother with a prosecution unless you were caught releasing greys into those areas or adjacent to areas where there are remaining populations of reds. We love watching the antics of the 15 or so greys we have in our garden... as long as they stay out of my loft and the pots of daffs they are safe.

When challenged.

Honestly Drew I never imagined anybody might have taken offence.
Have you never broken the law? Have you never inched a few miles over the speeding limit in your car? That has far more dangerous consequences than releasing a squirrel.
And I’ll admit to an SP30 as well

Honestly Drew I never imagined anybody might have taken offence.
You, of all people should know that this forum, like many others, is made of people from each side of the fence, on almost any and every subject.
Admitting to committing such an act, and then thinking everyone would pat you on the back is beyond crazy.
You may not know, but grey squirrels will quite happily eat song birds eggs and chicks. Ever noticed how in woods with grey squirrels, there are very few song birds (standing by for the 'that's not true' crowd). Or that grey squirrels like to de-bark young trees about 2 metres up, meaning the tree dies and never matures.
There is a reason why country estates take so much time and effort to keep the squirrels numbers down, and it's not just for the small amount of feed they steal, or the fun of it.

You may think you're just releasing a grey squirrel. But that will go on to kill, and breed. How about I just release some hive beetle? Won't make a difference will it? And then I can drive back at 32mph in a 30 👍

Oscar my Springer Spaniel ate a mouse alive and whole in one gulp yesterday.... and then knobbled a grey squirrell which was dragged off to its fate still wriggling by the collies...
Does this mean the veggie and nere do well vegan police wierdos will come around and give me a good ticking off ????

You, of all people should know that this forum, like many others, is made of people from each side of the fence, on almost any and every subject.
Admitting to committing such an act, and then thinking everyone would pat you on the back is beyond crazy.
You may not know, but grey squirrels will quite happily eat song birds eggs and chicks. Ever noticed how in woods with grey squirrels, there are very few song birds (standing by for the 'that's not true' crowd). Or that grey squirrels like to de-bark young trees about 2 metres up, meaning the tree dies and never matures.
There is a reason why country estates take so much time and effort to keep the squirrels numbers down, and it's not just for the small amount of feed they steal, or the fun of it.

You may think you're just releasing a grey squirrel. But that will go on to kill, and breed. How about I just release some hive beetle? Won't make a difference will it? And then I can drive back at 32mph in a 30 👍
I have never expected a pat on the back or actually got one I don’t think.
I shall bookmark your post in my head and recall it if I’m ever tempted to trap a squirrel let alone release it.

We seem to be descending into a nursery class with a "I'm going to tell teacher/my mum/dad/a policeman about you" theme. There's a simple answer - if you dont like it here try a different forum but their mods might not suit you either. Theres always somewhere for the thin skinned or waifs and strays of this world.

You do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people with exam certs. I wonder what happened in the past to generate that level of contempt ?

Actualy don't have single module to my name I'm afraid as I came through on the old system of four 3 hour exams, an all day senior practical and loads of experience. However I do have a connection to the modules having written 5 of the original module syllabi during one of my 19 years on the exam board.

I don't think you can compare releasing an animal that has a population the size of grey squirrels in the UK to releasing something that is not yet here. Comparing it to releasing a single varroa mite, would be a more reasonable analogy and let's face it what significant difference would that make in the current situation.
I think you have taken a throw away comment and made a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here.

Latest posts

Back